Dad Jokes

Do you know this series by Steel Panther? it is .... terrible, I mean, in a good way, there goes one out of three so far in the series:

I do not get many of them, English is not my mother tongue, but some are .... well really Dad Jokes.

Do you know this series by Steel Panther? it is .... terrible, I mean, in a good way, there goes one out of three so far in the series:

I do not get many of them, English is not my mother tongue, but some are .... well really Dad Jokes.

That is a funny series! I had watched two episodes and considered posting it here, but didn't. Thanks!

True, humor is something that is very difficult to sometimes take from one language to another.

Picture a Polar bear laying face down in the sand at the beach…

What do yo call a polar bear at the beach.

Sandy Claws.

Ho! Ho! Ho!
Merry Christmas

This is Why I Drink.

...As time progressed, Gram focused mostly on conservation and self-preservation, saving her energy by speaking very little, if at all. Her responses were limited mostly to “Yes,” “No,” and “I don’t care.”

It was somewhat sad to see this grand old lady not speaking much anymore, but it must have been difficult for her to even hear regularly-paced speech that didn’t make sense to her. It might have been that much like myself when I was younger; Gram was unfamiliar with her immediate environment at our home.

Understanding how Gram must have felt reminded me of my time at college years before: it was obvious that Gram’s unfamiliarity with the local region, her macular degeneration that caused her legal blindness, and her poor hearing that required hearing aids, must have caused her quite some isolation and loneliness. Yet Gram never complained or spoke out against her living conditions, even when Mom and I might argue over some trivial thing.

In fact, this may have been a plausible reason for Gram’s withdrawing into her shell, communicative only when necessary, and unhappy when Mom and I disagreed with one another, which occurred regularly. Gram’s only love was for the Boston Red Sox baseball games when they played, and she loved it when they trounced their opponents.

Perhaps this was part of her spirit for living, and she made sure I learned what that spirit was. One afternoon, Gram & I were watching an afternoon Red Sox baseball game. The following is the conversation that transpired between Gram & I during the pregame warm-up.

It’s also an apt reason for why I drink, much thanks to Gram. Yes, the following conversation actually occurred one afternoon at home, but my feeling was that this hard-of-hearing, not-so-dumb grand old lady was having a bit of fun with me, albeit somewhat innocently. What began innocently soon escalated into a flurry of back-and-forth misunderstandings.

“A Brief Understanding of Why I Drink”

Bob: “Hey, Gram, they’re doing a special report on Jason Varitek, the captain of the Red Sox, on the Art of Catching.”
Edna: “Who?”
Bob: “Jason Varitek, the captain of the Red Sox.”
Edna: “What team does he play for?”
Bob: “The Red Sox. He’s the catcher for their team, and they’re doing a report on him.”
Bob: “Jason Varitek!”
Edna: “Why are they doing that?”
Bob: “No clue, Gram. They’re doing a report on his experiences as a catcher for Boston.”
Bob: “Varitek!”
Edna: “The catcher for the Red Sox?”
Bob: “Yes!”
Edna: “And they’re doing a report on him?”
Bob: “Oh, brother…”
Edna: “Oh, you mean the people on TV?”
Bob: (Shakes head and saunters into the kitchen…to get a beer…)

This is Why I Drink.

...As time progressed, Gram focused mostly on conservation and self-preservation, saving her energy by speaking very little, if at all. Her responses were limited mostly to “Yes,” “No,” and “I don’t care.”

It was somewhat sad to see this grand old lady not speaking much anymore, but it must have been difficult for her to even hear regularly-paced speech that didn’t make sense to her. It might have been that much like myself when I was younger; Gram was unfamiliar with her immediate environment at our home.

Understanding how Gram must have felt reminded me of my time at college years before: it was obvious that Gram’s unfamiliarity with the local region, her macular degeneration that caused her legal blindness, and her poor hearing that required hearing aids, must have caused her quite some isolation and loneliness. Yet Gram never complained or spoke out against her living conditions, even when Mom and I might argue over some trivial thing.

In fact, this may have been a plausible reason for Gram’s withdrawing into her shell, communicative only when necessary, and unhappy when Mom and I disagreed with one another, which occurred regularly. Gram’s only love was for the Boston Red Sox baseball games when they played, and she loved it when they trounced their opponents.

Perhaps this was part of her spirit for living, and she made sure I learned what that spirit was. One afternoon, Gram & I were watching an afternoon Red Sox baseball game. The following is the conversation that transpired between Gram & I during the pregame warm-up.

It’s also an apt reason for why I drink, much thanks to Gram. Yes, the following conversation actually occurred one afternoon at home, but my feeling was that this hard-of-hearing, not-so-dumb grand old lady was having a bit of fun with me, albeit somewhat innocently. What began innocently soon escalated into a flurry of back-and-forth misunderstandings.

Bob: “Hey, Gram, they’re doing a special report on Jason Varitek, the captain of the Red Sox, on the Art of Catching.”
Bob: “The Red Sox. He’s the catcher for their team, and they’re doing a report on him.”
Bob: “No clue, Gram. They’re doing a report on his experiences as a catcher for Boston.”
But who's on first?

This is Why I Drink.

Goodone Bob I got a chuckle out of that sounds like Gram is sharper than she is letting on ;):)

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom