Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Release Candidate 2 (Beta 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another amp test with Beta 8. This time I went with a 1991 (first year made) Mesa Mark IV Rev A and compared it to the USA Lead Mid Gain model. The Mark IV is arguably one of the hardest amps to dial in, but I think the model was able to get really close even though my amp is a Rev A and I think the model is a Rev B.

Again, I'm sure some minor tweaks could get it even closer, but I thought this was pretty impressive for that classic aggressive scooped MKIV tone. The clip switches is real time between the two in no particular order. I think it would be a pretty amazing feat to get a Rev A and a Rev B this similar... it's even more nuts that it's a real mic'd amp (no load box or IR) and an amp model getting this close.

Well done Cliff and Fractal team!

That is ridiculous and FAS deserves the high praise , to get a model to sound like a micā€™d up amp that closely is really quite a feat I honestly have no idea how you improve that

You should (sorry, I usually avoid using that word) do a couple of videos about dialling in amps / models, because you're so good at it.
Awe man, then Iā€™d have to clean my studio. šŸ˜© Ha!

It would be fun to try sometime if I can keep it from being boring. I just mic the cab, dial in the amp, shoot the IR, mirror the amp settings on the model, and then A/B the two and tweak the modelā€™s basic amp controls until they sound the same (or as close as I can get them without diving into any advanced parameters).

It could be fun though and definitely worth considering.

That is ridiculous and FAS deserves the high praise , to get a model to sound like a micā€™d up amp that closely is really quite a feat I honestly have no idea how you improve that
Itā€™s really scary how all of these modeling improvements add up to being this close to the real thing. Using a Mark IV as the comparison amp added several layers to the complexity of matching them, which just goes to show how detailed the modeling is and how great it is at emulating the real thing.

Any comments about the AFD in this release? I think it sounds pretty great. All Marshalls do.

Haven't tried the AFD, but in other Marshall news, the JVM410H is unbelievable. I have never really cottoned to it before, but in Cygnus X-2 it's really hitting the spot. I was playing with the Orange OD1 for a long time yesterday. I find that, although I love the rhythm tones on many modern high gain amps, I find the lead tones lacking in character for my playing style; the JVM410H to my ears provides a great high gain modern tone, but that same tone can be used as a lead tone that has feel and character, making it stand out it my book.

I'll have to try the AFD next practice session.

Has the random popping issue been addressed yet? I am experiencing it on a few of my presets. The Freedmans seem to be affected along with the other mentioned amps. I have Beta 8

I like the AFD.
I had a week off work last week and enjoyed a couple of night owl YouTube rabbit hole sessions, one of which ended up on some old GnR live shows. Slash's lead playing at the end of Paradise City and all over Estranged get me every time. Of course I had to fire up the Destructive Appetites preset and the scenes were certainly sounding better than ever to my ears (on beta7 at the time). They seemed more alive/3 dimensional than I remembered. I think they seemed a bit 'stiffer' before, if that makes sense?

Has the random popping issue been addressed yet? I am experiencing it on a few of my presets. The Freedmans seem to be affected along with the other mentioned amps. I have Beta 8
I canā€™t find where it has been answered. The question was asked a couple pages back and the settings were sent to FAS for them to investigate.

I went through most of the presets, since i just got my upgraded AXE. I don't have any pops. I used a Tele, Strat and 2 PRS custom 22s. It might be a setting you have in your preset? I tested the stock factory presets. All I found was a few scenes were not balanced volume wise.

Herbert sounds amazing, in Beta 7 I added an enhancer block towards the end of the signal chain and it caused a lock up of the output. Meters were pegged, I turned unit off and back on (III Turbo), and every time it locked up. I deleted the patch and went back to a previous version. No issues since, been to scared to try it again. Then loaded Beta 8. So I don't know what the issue was, never had that problem before.

I agree Herbert and Marsh JVm410H sound great, I've also been playing on the EVH5153 a lot.

I went through most of the presets, since i just got my upgraded AXE. I don't have any pops. I used a Tele, Strat and 2 PRS custom 22s. It might be a setting you have in your preset? I tested the stock factory presets. All I found was a few scenes were not balanced volume wise.
Thanks ...I will dig deeper and see if it is just on my end

Haven't tried the AFD, but in other Marshall news, the JVM410H is unbelievable. I have never really cottoned to it before, but in Cygnus X-2 it's really hitting the spot. I was playing with the Orange OD1 for a long time yesterday. I find that, although I love the rhythm tones on many modern high gain amps, I find the lead tones lacking in character for my playing style; the JVM410H to my ears provides a great high gain modern tone, but that same tone can be used as a lead tone that has feel and character, making it stand out it my book.

I'll have to try the AFD next practice session.
I played a real JVM410H for some years. The clean and crunch tones were great, but I was never really happy with the lead channel. Always missed some attack and character in the OD2. I mainly used the OD1 channel and a Xotic Booster for Lead. Best Marshall sounds I ever had were with a rig consisting of 2 DSL100 halfstacks and a 19" rack with a JMP-1 preamp and a 9200 2x100 watts power amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom