Have you found “your” amp in the FM3?

Now with FW6 the new jumpered Plexi one. Brit Silver tonestack and T-75 SIC and I’m good to go. Super OD boost for leads and, my secret weapon, a pitch envelope attached to the mid control of the amp giving me more mids when I’m “higher up the neck”. Same deal with the mix in the Delay block actually, more audible delay for leads.

Now with FW6 the new jumpered Plexi one. Brit Silver tonestack and T-75 SIC and I’m good to go. Super OD boost for leads and, my secret weapon, a pitch envelope attached to the mid control of the amp giving me more mids when I’m “higher up the neck”. Same deal with the mix in the Delay block actually, more audible delay for leads.
That is a fun trick. I might have to try that

One of the Plexi models is something I usually fall back on and usually use those live. With that being said, I find that I often change amps or presets because it is refreshing to my ears. It also depends on what I’m listening through. Sometimes it’s my iLoud micro studio monitors, my DT770 headphones, or my Shure iems. What sounds good through one might not sound so sharp through another. But I think what I normally overlooked was that my ears get tired or bored of the same sound after a bit. I can’t explain It. A preset I used live and that I loved might sound really dull to my ears two days later when I’m practicing. Idk why, and it doesn’t mean the preset is bad. Usually I just have to switch to something else and let my ears grab onto a different amp EQ or voicing. Then my ears and playing feel refreshe. I suppose it’s a sort of ear fatigue. Wonder if anyone else experiences this?

Can you attach a preset with this? Would love to experiment and try it!

One of the Plexi models is something I usually fall back on and usually use those live. With that being said, I find that I often change amps or presets because it is refreshing to my ears. It also depends on what I’m listening through. Sometimes it’s my iLoud micro studio monitors, my DT770 headphones, or my Shure iems. What sounds good through one might not sound so sharp through another. But I think what I normally overlooked was that my ears get tired or bored of the same sound after a bit. I can’t explain It. A preset I used live and that I loved might sound really dull to my ears two days later when I’m practicing. Idk why, and it doesn’t mean the preset is bad. Usually I just have to switch to something else and let my ears grab onto a different amp EQ or voicing. Then my ears and playing feel refreshe. I suppose it’s a sort of ear fatigue. Wonder if anyone else experiences this?
Definitely. Some of it may be ear fatigue if you play at volume, but some I think isn't.

I somewhat think it's because I don't have a good absolute sense of "normal" tone, like good mastering engineers do. Starting from somewhere6i know what I think, but it might have more or less top end then yesterday.

Boo on me.

Since FW6, for me it's the Brit Studio 20 with 12Db FAS boost in the preamp, through Marshall TV with Greenbacks (Factory 2, 769 and 772). Playing through my FBT floor monitors with a bit of EQ tweaking. The best Marshall tones I've ever had. If this can cut it in my Thin Lizzy tribute band rehearsal next week, then I think my SLO-30 is going up for sale.

Volume has a lot to do with it (you may already know this). Loud sound is perceived very differently to quieter sound. When your volume is high, you will perceive less lows, so the patch will sound brighter.

I've suffered with this for so many years before I finally got it. Dial those patches in loud! Have some at home to practise with that have less lows dialled in.

Volume has a lot to do with it (you may already know this). Loud sound is perceived very differently to quieter sound. When your volume is high, you will perceive less lows, so the patch will sound brighter.

I've suffered with this for so many years before I finally got it. Dial those patches in loud! Have some at home to practise with that have less lows dialled in.
When the volume is LOW you will perceive less low and high frequencies. It would sound brighter at high volume because you hear more highs.

At low volume we hear more mids, which I think can be a better description.

It's because our ears/brain are optimized for hearing speech which is focused in the mid-range.

Anyone interested and Google "Fletcher Munson" to learn more.

T

totally get this and understand but I should clarify further. I could use the same preset at the same volume through the same listening device, but at some point in the near future whether it’s three days or a week, that preset will eventually sound dull. It doesn’t mean it’s a bad preset or bad tone, usually I just switch it up for a day to let my ears get used to a different Eq and then when I go back, it sounds fine again. It was annoying because for awhile, I thought I kept having to tweak the same preset but eventually I just learned to keep it the same and give my ears a break with something else

Back
Top Bottom