Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta #4 (Beta 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Borked?
I think @yek may want to add that to a glossary in the amplifiers document :)

Thanks Cliff,
Pauly

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...xe-fx-3/21p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_21p00_beta4.zip

Bunch more amps verified. This version also fixes a bug in Beta #2 where bias points were being incorrectly calculated. This primarily affected high-gain amps and could result in them feeling "tubby". Fixes the bug in Beta #3 where the "USA" models were borked. Several other bugs were also addressed.

A new beta version of Axe-Edit is available here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-edit-iii-1-12-09-supports-fw-21-00-public-beta-4.188106/

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

New “Cygnus X-2” amp modeling:

• Improved Amp block output transformer algorithm. New algorithm more accurately models B-H curve resulting in a clearer low end. New algorithm now also accounts for effect of speaker impedance on transformer response.
  • Improved power tube modeling. This yields better dynamics, improved low frequency accuracy and more accurate interaction with output transformer.
  • Improved cathode follower algorithm. Provides more accurate “cleanup” when volume is rolled off.
  • Improved triode algorithm more accurately models plate bypass capacitors.
  • Various other improvements.
  • All amp models have been updated as a result of the aforementioned improvements.
The default values of various parameters have been updated. Existing presets are automatically updated to the new values upon load.

Improved Drive block modeling to more accurately model effects of op-amp finite open-loop gain and GBW product.

Added “Griddle Cake” Drive model based on a Crowther Hot Cake. The “XLF” switch on the pedal can be replicated by turning the Bass Response knob fully CW.

Added “Overdrive Volume” parameter to Dumble-type amp models (ODS-100, Two Stone, etc.). This is sometimes labeled “Ratio” or “Lead Master”. As the Master Volume on these amps often has a bright capacitor the Overdrive Volume control allows setting the Master Volume higher to counteract the bright cap and then lowering the power amp drive with the Volume.

Added “Plate Suppressor Diodes” parameter. This value is set automatically when the amp model is chosen but the user can override the default setting. Most amps do not have suppressor diodes but some do (e.g., Trainwreck Express). These diodes (also called “snubber” or “flyback” diodes) prevent undershoot on the power tube plates due to inductive kick and reduce upper harmonics thereby reducing “fizz”.

The Ideal amp controls have been updated.

Added Brit Studio 20 Amp model based on a Marshall SV20H.

Added Plexi 50W 6CA7 Jumped Amp model. This is simply the jumped version of the Plexi 50W 6CA7.

Renamed USA Clean to USA Rhythm 1 to be more in line with actual amp.

Reduced CPU usage in some cases.

Fixed wrong coupling capacitor value in 1959SLP Treble, 1959SLP Jumped and 1987x Treble amp models.

Fixed wrong resistor value in tone stack of Solo 88 Rhythm and Lead models. Probably not audible though.

Fixed low frequency behavior of Recto2 models due to loss of precision.

Fixed wrong treble pot taper in CA3+ models.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in Friedman HBE V1 Fat model.

Fixed wrong resistor value in AC-20 12AX7 models.

Fixed wrong Depth knob taper in Archean models.

Fixed High Mid control in Drive block set to minimum when importing presets created prior to 19.01.

Various other fixes and improvements.

i'd love to know how many people use Ideal purposefully to get something the Authentic page doesn't offer.
I, for one, would have to figure out how to tweak amps without the Ideal page. I use it exclusively, tweaking different parameters to fine tune the tone I would like to hear. This is where I've found my happy place that gives me similar results as rolling preamp tubes. I know there are several preamp tube types but the Ideal page gives me the results I'm used to.

I'm extremely sorry to hear that this is a pain for Cliff but very much appreciate having it. It is invaluable to me and one of the things I have really come to rely on.

The parameters I use most are:
  • Bright Switch*, using the Cap Value knob to find the "ideal" setting. Even at very low settings, in conjunction with the High Treble, yields very satisfactory results for me. This is on in pretty much all of my presets.
  • Fat Switch - Almost always have this on regardless of the amp.
  • BMT - Invaluable to me for fine tuning an amp. I really never seem to get the results I would like with a single or dual Tone control(s). I'm not really after "authentic", I really enjoy having the added flexibility in an amp to adjust deeper. Using the Output EQ isn't the same.
  • High Treble - I use it in probably 75% of my presets
  • Depth - Don't use as much as the others, left at default the majority of the time, but I still use it on occasion and experiment with it whenever tweaking a new amp.

The Cut Switch, Input Trim and High Cut are parameters I rarely use. I have yet to use the Master Vol. Trim in any preset, it's left at the default value.

* It was a little disappointing when this parameter was deactivated in some amp models. I'm still trying to get the Nuclear Tone to sound the way it did prior to its deactivation. I found a replacement amp but the Nuclear Tone was my favorite by far and still recommend to others. I still mess with it from time to time, but the Bright Switch really added something to it I can't seem to replicate.

Borked?
I think @yek may want to add that to a glossary in the amplifiers document :)

Thanks Cliff,
Pauly

"borked" is very common in the vernacular of specialized technical jargon

borked

verb
  • Simple past tense and past participle of bork
  • To misconfigure, especially a computer or other complex device.
  • To break or damage.

I suspect many of us on the fractal forum spend their day jobs borking and unborking things :p

So if Ideal page ends up as removed, where would something like say, High Treble, be accessed in Axe-Edit? Curious as to how Cliff envisions this type of change. I know it's on the Advanced page on the front panel, but I can't find it anywhere else in Axe-Edit. (Just using High Treble as an example for one I noticed).

So if Ideal page ends up as removed, where would something like say, High Treble, be accessed in Axe-Edit? Curious as to how Cliff envisions this type of change. I know it's on the Advanced page on the front panel, but I can't find it anywhere else in Axe-Edit. (Just using High Treble as an example for one I noticed).
High Treble is on the Ideal tab in Axe-Edit.

Things like High Treble, Fat, Cut, etc. would not be lost.

The problem is with, for example, amps like the AC-20. The real amp has no tone controls and the tone controls in the model don't do anything. So I'd rather have a "Tweaks" page that has the little tweaks as opposed to an "Ideal" page that has controls that may not actually do anything.

The problem is with, for example, amps like the AC-20. The real amp has no tone controls and the tone controls in the model don't do anything. So I'd rather have a "Tweaks" page that has the little tweaks as opposed to an "Ideal" page that has controls that may not actually do anything.

Hopefully Bright and the adjustable cap value would be somewhere as well. That is one of my most tweaked parameters.

That makes logical sense
So you don’t want every model to just have a generic ideal page

You know more about the build and navigation of this ship than any of us, Cliff---by far.

I'd roll with what YOU think is best. The rest of us can adapt. :)

Thats cool if you can make it easier on you Cliff and we just access the obvious ideal tweaks somewhere else sounds like no harm done :)

This latest update is off the charts for me anyway - sounds like a different amp modeler - ease of leads and the sound is far superior than any other version I've tried

I would be scared to loose its current state of bliss :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom