Do I need a an Eventide H9 or can it be done with AXE-FX III

I believe so, with much less noise floor.

It won’t be pick one block and then find a preset. You will probably have to stitch together a few blocks like filters/eq, delay, reverb and modulation.

But you will either find “the power” enjoyable or frustrating depending on your knowledge of fx and how they are constructed.

have H9 in Ax3 loop - imo any H9 sound can be done by Axe but nice to have some unique H9 preset variations, paricularly the wierder stuff (ie undulator, blackhole...).

Bank B:

076 - UNDULATION // UNDULATION FM9 // UNDULATOR FM3

LFO-controlled delay voices from Plex Delay blocks through a tremolo, with the tremolo's depth being controlled by an envelope follower. The preset title possibly refers to an Eventide effect. FM3 and FM9: single Plex Delay, different scenes.

011 - BLACK HOLES
Effects-laden sustained space sounds, using automatic volume swells, LFO-controlled time in the Multitap Delay, diffusion, hall reverb, phaser (with rate controlled through External Controller 1), and pitch-shifting (pitch controlled through External Controller 1). Play slowly.

have H9 in Ax3 loop - imo any H9 sound can be done by Axe but nice to have some unique H9 preset variations, paricularly the wierder stuff (ie undulator, blackhole...).

Same here, but the original plan was to use the H9 in order to replicate some of my favorite presets in the Axe. So far, though, I've just let it do its thing.

Can my AXE-FX III produce sounds like the H9 ???

There is no need for any H9 with an Axe Fx 3 because the Fractal already has all those effects and more. An H9 would be senseless to add.

An H9000 however would be a nice piece of gear to have in the effects loop.

There is no need for any H9 with an Axe Fx 3 because the Fractal already has all those effects and more. An H9 would be senseless to add.

An H9000 however would be a nice piece of gear to have in the effects loop.
Curious what you’d do with the h9000 you wouldn’t do with the H9?

Curious what you’d do with the h9000 you wouldn’t do with the H9?

The H9000 is an 8000 US dollar fx processor with a completely different sound engine from the H9 and far superior converters. It has a much higher definition sound and deeper sense of space. Not to mention tens of thousands of more algorithms and presets.

That thing is king for the cinematic and ambient stuff that's very far out.

H9 to H9000 is like comparing the previous generation factor pedals to the H8000 in terms of converters and richer sound quality.

H9000 is absolutely insane.

The H9000 is an 8000 US dollar fx processor wite a completely different sound engine from the H9 and far superior converters. It has a much higher definition sound and deeper sense of space. Not to mention tens of thousands of more algorithms and presets.

That thing is king for the cinematic and ambient stuff that's very far out.

H9 to H9000 is like comparing the previous generation factor pedals to the H8000 in terms of converters and richer sound quality.

H9000 is absolutely insane.
I own both an h9 as well as an h9000. No one will ever hear the difference in converters in a guitar rig especially. The H9000 is entirely overblown for a guitar rig. I couldn’t think of a single musical situation where I’d need to run 16 individual algorithms simultaneously. I do that in mixing, not playing guitar. The H9000 has a ton of mixing tools not really suited for guitar primarily. Sure you CAN use an H9000, but you wouldn’t be using 90%+ of the capability at any given time. The H9 on my board is far more appropriate to handle guitar work.

I own both an h9 as well as an h9000. No one will ever hear the difference in converters in a guitar rig especially. The H9000 is entirely overblown for a guitar rig. I couldn’t think of a single musical situation where I’d need to run 16 individual algorithms simultaneously. I do that in mixing, not playing guitar. The H9000 has a ton of mixing tools not really suited for guitar primarily. Sure you CAN use an H9000, but you wouldn’t be using 90%+ of the capability at any given time. The H9 on my board is far more appropriate to handle guitar work.
When did I say I would need the H9000 for live? It would primarily be for studio.

But if I did use it for live, how do you know it's only my instrument that I wish for it to process? You cannot use the H9 to process all parts of the band or group. You would need separate H9s, and you would need multiple H9s in a row per member if you wanted to run several algorithms on that person's source.

why not an H9000 as the fx processor for everyone? You can easily split it up like that. And you can do multiple algorithms. Something that you cannot do with an H9.

How do you own an H9000 and not know this?

Do you own one in a different life perhaps?

If you are using the axe fx 3 FRFR or direct to the board then the sound quality difference from H9 to H9000 is quite notable.
But if you are using the axe fx 3 as a only a preamp into a power amp into one regular guitar cabinet, then it's harder to hear the difference between one of its algorithms and an H9 one. But adding stereo cabs it becomes more obvious.
But you get many more algorithms with the H9000.

I don't know where this myth came from that the H9000 algorithms are the same as the H9.
The H9000 may have all the H9 algorithms but they are clearly different versions of them if you look at the architecture and graphical layout...and it has so much more on top of that with tons of blocks that the H9 doesn't have.

That H9000 is a marvel of computer science and dsp engineering. Now to just figure out what tree money grows on.

Last edited:
There is no need to buy the H9 it you have the Axe-FX III

I had the H9 Max and I sold it because 1) the reverbs and the chorus are of remarkable lower quality compared with the Axe-FX III 2) It is very simple to clone all its algorithms with the Axe-FX

I also sold my Eventide Eclipse and the H3500 when I got the first Axe-FX standard, a while ago

I posted some H9 presets for the Axe-FX here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...d-beyond-chapter-1-crystals-algorithm.157686/
1660371109861.png

Last edited:
The only reason I would think you may want an H9 is if you find that you run out of processing power in the Fractal unit.

You would need to have some pretty complex signal paths to run out of processing power to do that.

I personally have yet to max out the Fractal processor.

I have seen people post in the forum who have, but those people use kitchen sink presets usually, unless you are Dweezil with his very creative routing & processing, who is a universe by himself when it comes to sound chasing.

Personally, I'm a fan of a preset per 8 scenes of sounds that I want. I wouldn't want to try to have my whole universe of sounds in a single kitchen sink preset as I would personally find that too limiting, considering the amount of preset slots in the unit.

Different strokes for different folks.

The only reason I would think you may want an H9 is if you find that you run out of processing power in the Fractal unit.

You would need to have some pretty complex signal paths to run out of processing power to do that.

I personally have yet to max out the Fractal processor.

I have seen people post in the forum who have, but those people use kitchen sink presets.

Personally, I'm a fan of a preset per 8 scenes of sounds that I want. I wouldn't want to try to have my whole universe of sounds in a single preset as I would personally find that too limiting, considering the amount of preset slots in the unit.

Different strokes for different folks.

So I've basically replicated one of my favorite artists tones but by so doing it unfortunately makes it too easy to max the dsp that I'm have to actually use a separate outboard cab modeler from two notes so I don't run out of dsp with the cab block...
But ya it's very unfortunate that I didn't get the turbo.

And when people are telling me that I have to save DSP by using less voices on the phaser or less resolution on the reverbs, or less stuff going on in the amp block, that defeats the whole purpose of trying to match the guy's sound, LOL. Such arguments are not solutions and I don't know why people even try to utter such nonsense when it doesn't do anything to help.

Back
Top Bottom