Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 19.06 Public Beta

No, this is currently an FC Controller feature because you already have random access any preset or scene via MIDI.
Would be nice if the two features were merged (since the midi for preset/scene configuration isn't available via the editor). You could have boxes besides the song/parts to add midi command numbers

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I noticed that a few songs load the wrong scene when recalled via FC-6. I have set up my Axe-FX III to always load Scene #1 as default, but some presets load Scene #2 or Scene #3 even though the Scene song parameter is set to "Default Scene".

I'm using a very basic setup, where each song use only the first section with a single preset, set on Default Scene.

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 11.47.44.png

When loading the same presets through the main encoder knob (or any other mean that loads a preset) Scene #1 is always - correctly - loaded.

Attached are the "faulty" presets. I haven't tried them all, but I only have about 40 presets I use.

Attachments

• Bassman 59 Jump HB.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Bassman 59 Jump SC.syx
  • Hi Gain Brown.syx
  • Plexi 50W 6CA7 SC.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
For those who ask about copying a Scene to another Preset, using the Song Section portion of this new feature seems to address that, as you can choose whatever Scene you desire to load into the Section. Very nice workflow!
This new feature looks absoluty magical and opens up new work perspectives.
A big thank you 👏👏👍

It's there. Look at the top-left down-arrow, next to "Setlists". "Export…" and "Export All…" along with "Import…" live there.

You'll never find an export or import from the front panel; Think about the scenario, the front panel is on a stand-alone device, and only the editor is actually on something that has a drive you can write to.
Ah, found it...thanks.

It wasn't clear if the imported/exported setlists were saved on the device itself or the computer. I understand now that it saves to the computer. This also means I'll still need to connect my computer to the Axe-Fx before every show to either create or import the appropriate setlists. I'd like to be able to save more shows worth of songs on the unit itself. And yes, I know the device doesn't have a writable drive but it does have a certain amount of user-addressable storage. My MFC-101 didn't have a hard drive either and it stored ten 100-song lists.

One preset/song works fine, and it’s what I’d have done, because it’s the digital equivalent of what we’d do with a pedalboard and amp. Almost all of us have been there.

Digital opens doors for us that we have to think about, how can we best use the new features. How can we use set lists if we’re not gigging? It’s not as easily seen, but messing with the Setlist manager and getting familiar with it certainly started my wheels turning.

Even a solo artist, such as someone working wedding gigs, could take advantage of the features, so dig in and see if it fits in an unexpected way.
Yes, agreed. It's got me thinking. Even though there is something to be said for plug and play "back in the day" you still had to think about your rig but there was maybe less tone tweaking afterward since my pedalboard was never really that extensive. I did run the ground control pro with a rack effect and a couple pedals but it still wasn't very complex...my sounds weren't that complex to begin with. The digital platforms get you tweaking more and that can be a good and bad thing but I enjoy digging in, personally, and seeing what I can come up with new so this is an interesting feature and for now it makes me want to use my axe fx 3 live again.

Just saying thanks for the set list feature doesn't cover it.

When I was gigging two bands with frequently shifting three hour sets, this would have been an absolute life saver. The design is (for my workflow/thought process) absolutely perfect! The timing couldn't be better either....I was just starting to think about finding some new bands.

So, THANKS...and I'm looking into scraping together some pennies for an FC-6 Mark II to experience the wonder without eyestrain. :D

Your post said "45-50 songs" so I wasn't sure you got the multiples...

The thought of having to use 2 lists to do the job of 1 is abhorrent (and wasteful). Basically limiting me to one "set list" for each band I regularly play with. Oh wait - that's what shuffling the presets is currently doing (and - by the way - what happens if you reorder your presets?). I offered to beta this after being reasonably vociferous about this feature. I'm more than a little put off this entire process seemed not to include my genre of musician. It was quite literally the only thing "missing" from the Axe3 and from my perspective it still is. Seriously - 32 songs - I don't know of a single working club band with a set list that short. The idea was to have multiple set lists on tap (like the MFC had) - this does not get the job done in a meaning way.

Quick fix - double the songs per list - that's 256 total. I don't need 'sections' - I have scenes. Make it an option to do one or the other - if memory is in short supply.

Sorry if I'm ranting, I've waited a long time for something I can't use.

Think this Setlist Functionality is just absolutely awesome, the missing piece for me , just a bedroom player, but being able to pick scenes from all my various presets & mix & match them into one is just great. Many times had to muck around massively to integrate a scene I liked from one preset into another, copying this , copying that,moving this, swapping that. being able to pick any combo's and set them up as one preset type thing without having to redo presets is just brilliant

The thought of having to use 2 lists to do the job of 1 is abhorrent (and wasteful). Basically limiting me to one "set list" for each band I regularly play with. Oh wait - that's what shuffling the presets is currently doing (and - by the way - what happens if you reorder your presets?). I offered to beta this after being reasonably vociferous about this feature. I'm more than a little put off this entire process seemed not to include my genre of musician. It was quite literally the only thing "missing" from the Axe3 and from my perspective it still is. Seriously - 32 songs - I don't know of a single working club band with a set list that short. The idea was to have multiple set lists on tap (like the MFC had) - this does not get the job done in a meaning way.

Quick fix - double the songs per list - that's 256 total. I don't need 'sections' - I have scenes. Make it an option to do one or the other - if memory is in short supply.

I think for your use case, using an iPad with OnSong to change the current preset would be a good solution, as you use scenes for song sections.

Managing the setlist could also be much more convenient in such large screen, and you can even set a footswitch (on FC6/12 or stand-in) to go to the next or previous song on your set. All of that via BLE using the yamaha thing.

sorry to ask a stupid question so early but can I just import an existing preset into the setlist? The 'build a song' feature is amazing and I would definitely want to use that for a couple of numbers but mostly I would just want to reorder existing presets into our 'support set' and 'main set' etc. Also, I see that there are six 'sections' to a song and I was wondering how to use this with a preset which utilises all 8 scenes

Did I miss something? My bands typically play 3 - 4 set shows with usually 45 - 50 songs on the list (put me in the "hard-working cover band" category). The set list feature only allows for 32 songs? And only 4 setlists? Please tell me I've misread the manual. @FractalAudio
You are a hard working man. I would be much too lazy to do that ;-)
We play about 10 songs per gig, but we extend the soloing accordingly :tonguewink::tearsofjoy:

I just checked out all my Marshall and Friedman presets and they all sound really good. Big difference. Thanks Cliff!

I also found that pedals were getting along with the amps better. There had been a harshness I was having trouble dialing out, but it’s gone with this firmware. I was mostly on the Plexi 6AC7 and the 5150, with all sorts of IRs and Speaker Impedance Curves.

Keep in mind this feature is only in beta. I think some well written arguments can change minds. And also remember, this is just the first beta; there’s nothing to say there won’t be more betas to tweak it or that this feature is etched in stone as its initial public release. I think that’s part of the point, to use the beta as a way to improve features further, and your thoughts might be part of that.

That's one possibility but it's not very straightforward and could become a maintenance headache.

I've poked around and haven't yet found a way to import or export setlists either from the front panel or Axe-Edit.
In Axe Edit click on "Sets/Songs". You can click on the triangle next to Setlists to import or export setlists. Clicking on the triangle next to Songs allows you to import or export songs.

I also found that pedals were getting along with the amps better. There had been a harshness I was having trouble dialing out, but it’s gone with this firmware. I was mostly on the Plexi 6AC7 and the 5150, with all sorts of IRs and Speaker Impedance Curves.

Keep in mind this feature is only in beta. I think some well written arguments can change minds. And also remember, this is just the first beta; there’s nothing to say there won’t be more betas to tweak it or that this feature is etched in stone as its initial public release. I think that’s part of the point, to use the beta as a way to improve features further, and your thoughts might be part of that.
Let's hope that's the case - I can't imagine it's a stretch to double the number of songs per list. Not my dream outcome but at least it would be usable.

Back
Top Bottom