Wish Wish List: New Amps

Mesa Boogie MkIII Coliseum
Mesa Boogie .50 Cal

Now that the FM9 will allow us 2 amps usage..... it would be the perfect time for a Mrk III Coliseum. And alot of fun trying to nail John Sykes Whitesnake tone. ;p

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned because this thread is huge but the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 Bass amp is the one with the most saturation (gain) or an FAS Bass amp with a super gain option. I know that bass is a bit of an after thought but this would be a really awesome option if there was a project that involved a really nice high gain bass sound. The Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 is the best sounding high gain head out there. No worries if it can't happen. I'll probably just purchase one anyway just to have that option.

Kind of a request with a personal background.
I would love to have a „Stevens Poundcake“ in the Axe.
Why?
I visited Bernd Stephan (the founder and one man show of stevens amps) a few times in his shop. He is one of the nicest persons I have ever met and he is a genius.
He ones build a custom amp for me, based on his Poundcake Amp.
Sadly my amp is lost in the flooding in Germany and Bernd Stephan didn’t built amps anymore.
Sample (it’s not me an not my Amp)

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned because this thread is huge but the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 Bass amp is the one with the most saturation (gain) or an FAS Bass amp with a super gain option. I know that bass is a bit of an after thought but this would be a really awesome option if there was a project that involved a really nice high gain bass sound. The Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 is the best sounding high gain head out there. No worries if it can't happen. I'll probably just purchase one anyway just to have that option.
Have you tried any of the guitar amps? They can work nicely for bass, too.

Orange OR80 or OR120
Sunn Model T Reissue
Mesa Dual Caliber 50 or 100 watt

Edit: I wrote this, my kids started going insane, and I posted it with the intention of saying why these would be cool amps, and not just sounding like an entitled turd.

I’ve been down the YouTube rabbit hole watching videos of old Oranges and reissue Sunn amps and just feel like they’ve got something new to offer to the amp arsenal. They’re amps that have real character in their gain structure and midrange. Just plain ballsy, and would be great options for thick tones with personality.

The Mesa Dual Caliber (DC-5 or DC-10) seems like an interesting beast. With Mesas, the fewer the channels and modes, the better it sounds. Something about the added circuitry makes things buzzy and undefined, but the stripped down models have more focus and just feel better. This amp was made in the 90’s and was meant to be a bridge between the Mark IV and the 2 channel Dual Rec.

Just bumping this Orange OR80/OR120 wish. :)

I'd also like to see some love for the bass players. The community isn't off the hook either, I don't see any bass players doing Fractal tone tutorials either. You'd think they would want to ditch their 8X10 cabs for modeling sooner than guitarists.

ADA MP-1 (and his Chorus)
ADA MP-2 (and his Chorus)
Gallien Krueger 250 ML (yeap: and his Chorus)
Gallien Krueger 2100 SEL (and his... gues what... 😁)
Rockman XP100
Tom Scholz Rockman X100
Rocktron Piranha Preamp
(all channels of each one)

Yes: I'm almost 50 and I loooooove 80s Heavy Metal. 🤣🤣🤣🤣
And I have the AX8 and I love it, but some day...
🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻
I'm sure there is a Chorus support group somewhere in the forums. All joking aside I fully agree with the list. MP-1 & X100 at the top (and yep: their Chorus)

Since I’m mostly a Marshall guy...

Marshall Tremelo (kinda rare.. and now expensive)
Marshall Plexi (with a 50k midrange pot, instead of the ‘standard’ 25k.. for that closer Eddie brown sound)
Marshall ‘true’ Silver Jub.
Marshall ‘true’ plexi 1987 model
Marshall Major. I had one years ago. Insanely loud, and clean headroom for days.

Reactions: ESW
I'd also like to see some love for the bass players. The community isn't off the hook either, I don't see any bass players doing Fractal tone tutorials either. You'd think they would want to ditch their 8X10 cabs for modeling sooner than guitarists.

Well ditching the 810 is gonna depend way more on what kind of music you play. We toured with a band where the bassist had an Orange 410. Sounded pretty good. The grin when he used our SVT fridge was telling though. Both bands were post-hardcore bands.

For the most part, a lot of bassists have moved to class D and 410-as-max rigs. They just aren't the main demographic. Would I love to see more bass stuff? Absolutely. Am I a guitar player (distantly) first? Also yes.

39 pages late but we kinda mentioned this in another thread and there was at least a second on the idea: The first run of Peavey Classic 50s. I recommend the 4x10" combo, and I paired it with a Blues Classic, which is just a Classic 50 with 1x15" speaker instead. In stereo they make quite a team, but I remember a lot of high-profile local guys took 'em all over, usually with the Peavey badges removed (guilty.) I have the amps of course. I just thought it a little sad-trombone the Blues Jr. is in there but the Classic 50 tweed isn't.

They are not rare or highly desirable, but they most definitely have a little bit of mojo. I enjoyed them a lot, but I could never warm up to the thin crunch of the Fender Blues Deville. I tried so hard to like them, too. Never could, no matter how badly I wanted to upgrade to a Fender Amp.

One such Fender Amp I only played once and it blew my skirt way up was a tan Fender with oxblood coloring... and I'm pretty sure it had the unfortunate name of "Tone Master." I believe that one was mentioned on page one or two, though.

Classic 50! Put a tube-screamer in front and you can play anything.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
One such Fender Amp I only played once and it blew my skirt way up was a tan Fender with oxblood coloring... and I'm pretty sure it had the unfortunate name of "Tone Master.

That was a Bruce Zinky design copied by Mesa Boogie as the Triple Crown, which is modeled in the AxeFX III, FM3, and FM9! I love the TC models, but I’ve never played a real Tone Master.

Back
Top Bottom