Wish Wish List: New Amps

not sure if i have already chimed in on this but VHT Pitbull CL is an absolute must have as well as seconding on that Randall V2 series one. its one of the best amps ever made and also the only real amp i would still find i need in addition to my afx3 aside from a Peavey Invective which also seems like a must have.

Pretty sure you're never going to see a standalone power amp model...
The Mesa manual suggests it be considered as an amp, not just a power amp, and it’s got more controls, preamp tubes, and preamp circuitry, than several vintage units, so please allow a guy to wish. This is a wish list right? I’ve heard the arguments against. Thanks!

Last edited:
Today I learned the 2:90 has 12AX7's. Egads.
Most rack tube power amps will have at least a few "preamp" tubes to raise signal level enough to drive the phase inverters, which are also likely to be "preamp" tubes. The alternative is transistors or op-amp chips to do the same thing. Could probably get it all done with a single transistor or op-amp and a phase inverter transformer. Something has to preamplify the line level input enough to drive the power tube grids....

Most rack tube power amps will have at least a few "preamp" tubes to raise signal level enough to drive the phase inverters, which are also likely to be "preamp" tubes. The alternative is transistors or op-amp chips to do the same thing. Could probably get it all done with a single transistor or op-amp and a phase inverter transformer. Something has to preamplify the line level input enough to drive the power tube grids....

And now I've learned even more! Thanks Joe.

For what it's worth, the Mesa Simul 2:90 has a switch for selecting instrument level on the back. We can put preamp tubes in quotes and group it together with "most rack tube power amps," but as a long time original owner/player of one of these fire breathing dragons, I've put my vote in. I'm definitely not the only fan of those things.

If I were to guess, Fractal's already incorporated some of the mojo. That said, as many have wished for amps that perhaps are already well covered by Fractal idealized versions of the same, I'm going to "wish" for a standalone 2:90 model. Have a great weekend everyone!

Fender super bassman bass amp. It seems to have enough different from the existing 65 bass amp to warrant a model.

The 65 has two 6L6 power tubes, while the super bassman has six 6550s. The super bassman also has two distinct channels, with the vintage channel having a passive EQ while the overdrive channel has an active EQ. The drive channel has a clean blend as well where you can choose how much drive vs clean you want, but this then passes through the tonestack and power amp as well so it’s not just a pure clean. Depending on the fractal internal architecture, the clean blend might not be possible, but it would be cool to have. Both channels also have bright/deep pull switches

Maybe it has been said before but the Marshall Super Bass and JTM50 can be good additions, also after watching the Pete Thorn and Mike Friedman Deep Dive in to EVH tone they talk about Ed's Marshall amp had the Mid freq tone pot value at 50k instead of 25k and also it had 6CA7 tubes but it's a 100w model instead of the 50w amp model that is available now... so maybe you guys can go and do a Plexi Brown model with those interesting differences?

For what it's worth, the Mesa Simul 2:90 has a switch for selecting instrument level on the back. We can put preamp tubes in quotes and group it together with "most rack tube power amps," but as a long time original owner/player of one of these fire breathing dragons, I've put my vote in. I'm definitely not the only fan of those things.
No real need to get confrontational about a technical explanation. There was no snark intended with the quotes, nor any rejection of your wish. I was simply explaining to Budda that "power amps" generally contain "preamp" tubes also, along with the power tubes, since he seemed surprised to hear about it....

No real need to get confrontational about a technical explanation. There was no snark intended with the quotes, nor any rejection of your wish. I was simply explaining to Budda that "power amps" generally contain "preamp" tubes also, along with the power tubes, since he seemed surprised to hear about it....
Thanks for the clarification, Joe. I wasn't sure, and am certainly prone to jumpiness. :) Have a great evening!

not sure if i have already chimed in on this but VHT Pitbull CL is an absolute must have as well as seconding on that Randall V2 series one. its one of the best amps ever made and also the only real amp i would still find i need in addition to my afx3 aside from a Peavey Invective which also seems like a must have.
Yeah, really high vote for the Randall V2!

What Amps are you hoping for with future updates? Mine would be a Randall Century 200 like Dimebags, and a Friedman JJ Jerry Cantrell Signature Amp.
Fender m-80 chorus 2x12 sounded so amazing to me, especially when I was using a passive emg-sa single coil pickup. Sadly I gigged with it sometimes and one night it had Fallon on its face in the back of the truck and most of the knobs/pots became jammed up, pushed in, broken off etc. at the time I just couldn’t have nice things.

Maybe it has been said before but the Marshall Super Bass and JTM50 can be good additions, also after watching the Pete Thorn and Mike Friedman Deep Dive in to EVH tone they talk about Ed's Marshall amp had the Mid freq tone pot value at 50k instead of 25k and also it had 6CA7 tubes but it's a 100w model instead of the 50w amp model that is available now... so maybe you guys can go and do a Plexi Brown model with those interesting differences?

Super Bass...yes please.

Back
Top Bottom