FM3 Firmware Version 4.01

Thanks FAS...another very cool update....features and bug fixes....sweet...!

However, I now have a fair bit of a difference in preset switching time lag in v4.01 vs v4.00 that I immediately noticed after upgrading to v4.01 and resetting the System Parameters.

The sound dropout time is much longer and more apparent where it was hardly a blip in v4.00, which I found switched almost instantly.

Be it my own or factory presets I'm finding 4.01 laggy in switching presets.

I downgraded back to v4.00, reset the System Parameters, and preset switching was much faster...what I've been used to.

Went back to v4.01, reset the System Parameters, and preset switching lag time is increased to an easily noticeable degree.

This is all with FM-Edit closed, switching presets from the front or the footswitches, with/without the FC6 (v1.12) connected, hard booting in between all test connection setups, etc.

Thanks FAS...another very cool update....features and bug fixes....sweet...!

However, I now have a fair bit of a difference in preset switching time lag in v4.01 vs v4.00 that I immediately noticed after upgrading to v4.01 and resetting the System Parameters.
Perform the "Upgrade Presets" function under Setup->Utilities->Preset and the lag time will be reduced.

Added “Presets” Utilities page to upgrade Presets stored in flash to the currently installed firmware version. When executed, all presets stored in flash with an older version of the firmware will be upgraded to the currently installed firmware version and automatically re-saved to flash. This process can take up to 20 minutes but will speed up preset changes. NOTE: backup your presets before using this utility.

....I now have a fair bit of a difference in preset switching time lag in v4.01 vs v4.00 that I immediately noticed after upgrading to v4.01 and resetting the System Parameters.

The sound dropout time is much longer and more apparent where it was hardly a blip in v4.00, which I found switched almost instantly.

RTRN :)

Release Notes:
  • Added “Presets” Utilities page to upgrade Presets stored in flash to the currently installed firmware version. When executed, all presets stored in flash with an older version of the firmware will be upgraded to the currently installed firmware version and automatically re-saved to flash. This process can take up to 20 minutes but will speed up preset changes. NOTE: backup your presets before using this utility.

Perform the "Upgrade Presets" function under Setup->Utilities->Preset and the lag time will be reduced.

Added “Presets” Utilities page to upgrade Presets stored in flash to the currently installed firmware version. When executed, all presets stored in flash with an older version of the firmware will be upgraded to the currently installed firmware version and automatically re-saved to flash.

Ahhh ok thanks...I did read this in the Release Notes but, for whatever reason, thought it only applied to firmware versions less then 4.xx.

Does stored in flash mean the 512 preset library? Is the Upgrade Presets function the same as resetting amp blocks that was required in 4.0?

What logic is used for matching the factory presets? Name, position, an internal unique id?

I move all the factory presets to later banks and sometimes edit and add blocks to them. How do I stop the ones I edit being overwritten?

What does "update presets" do then?
I had thought that it brought the amp blocks and everything else up to the current firmware (like resetting the amp blocks did for the amps before)
My uninformed guess:
Stored presets for a firmware have a specific version (few-version at save time) attached, so future firmware is able to map old parameters to newer counterparts, if necessary. This ensures that you usually don‘t have to redo your presets after every firmware-update. Unless you choose to resave the preset, it will internally remain as it is (no upgraded version will be saved).

Depending on the firmware which was used to save the preset, it may take longer to perform an „on the fly“-update on preset load. Performing the preset update cuts down the preset loading time by avoiding to do all those compatibility stuff every time you load a preset.

Whoa…so cool. Thanks to FAS for all the hard work. I’ve been reading a lot of the Wiki stuff and love all the archived information and Cliff’s and everyone’s contributions.

• Added “Presets” Utilities page to upgrade Presets stored in flash to the currently installed firmware version. When executed, all presets stored in flash with an older version of the firmware will be upgraded to the currently installed firmware version and automatically re-saved to flash. This process can take up to 20 minutes but will speed up preset changes. NOTE: backup your presets before using this utility.

Seems like this is the comeback of the old "Update All Presets" command from the Standard/Ultra days, which updated all device-stored presets to the latest preset protocol.

Should this command from now on be executed after every install of a (major) firmware update? @Admin M@ @rglr

I move all the factory presets to later banks and sometimes edit and add blocks to them. How do I stop the ones I edit being overwritten?
This has nothing to do with installing presets, it’s internally adjusting all presets in situ. Every preset gets touched and overwritten by the updated version of itself.

As the release notes say, do a backup first.

Last edited:
My uninformed guess:
Stored presets for a firmware have a specific version (few-version at save time) attached, so future firmware is able to map old parameters to newer counterparts, if necessary. This ensures that you usually don‘t have to redo your presets after every firmware-update. Unless you choose to resave the preset, it will internally remain as it is (no upgraded version will be saved).

Depending on the firmware which was used to save the preset, it may take longer to perform an „on the fly“-update on preset load. Performing the preset update cuts down the preset loading time by avoiding to do all those compatibility stuff every time you load a preset.
Some companies leave old data structures and append to the end, intending to purge wasted space/perform garbage collection later. This might be their “later” moment.

If you're concerned about the "Upgrade Presets" overwriting your presets with factory presets, this will not happen. I will take this opportunity to reiterate that it's always a good idea to backup your presets before doing an update.

Nice ! Best news of the month sofar ! BTW is there a way to backup the settings of the footwitches (per preset & perform), do the reset and then reupload these settings ?

Kind greetings,

Back
Top Bottom