Status
Not open for further replies.
4 preset examples used are:
15 Recto 2
36 FAS Modern
37 DAS Metall
63 6160 Block

So, tight high gain rhythm.

15: nope, I couldn't get it to sound good either...however, flip to preset 283 and pick one of the Recto2 scenes. much better
36: default scene sounds great
37: flip to scene 2 with the Grinder Boost...sounds great
63: I liked scene 7

Last edited:
Fwiw, I don’t think anyone should feel bad about their Rockit monitors and Scarlett interfaces…

Me neither, I’ve owned both. I would say that if a person can, go and test out a few monitors side-by-side. Many of the bigger music stores offer that, and what people might find is that there are drastic differences in sound quality between some of these monitors. If all a person has ever heard are Rokits, and you are happy with them. That’s great! But, try pumping the same mix through a pair of higher end monitors and they would likely instantly start gassing for them.

Having heard both the lower and higher quality monitors, and knowing that there’s nothing wrong with Cygnus, or even Quantum Fractal code, or the hardware which delivers it, I can say that as happy as we are with the gear we sometimes have, some of the lower end monitors don’t do either code justice. The difference between the Rokits and the A7Xs (for example), is the difference between looking through a clean and dirty window, and that difference only becomes evident when you compare them both.

At the time, I remember being happy with the BOSS GT6, and before that, the Digitech RP1 …but, at that time, that happiness was only born from the fact I had never heard an AX8, AXE FX III, or the FM3..since they share much the same code.

For as much as we sometimes happily fork-over for a guitar, the resulting sound it makes sometimes can take a back-seat. I have been guilty of that mentality, myself.

15 Recto 2
36 FAS Modern
37 DAS Metall
63 6160 Block

I had a go and edited the first scenes of each of these presets a little and got decent results. I like to adjust the output EQ on the amp block, by usually boosting the 4-8k range a little. For the cab section, I find adjusting the proximity, as well as the Room Level and Air make the IRs sound more realistic. The rest is just adjusting the drive and amp settings to taste, and depending on the guitar and pickups.
Honestly, there is no real good 6160 IR in the factory cabs, and this is why the 6160 Block sounds a little thin.

One preset, 4 scenes corresponding to the 1st scene in each of the presets you mentioned (Channel A, B, C, D for different block settings/models).

I dialled it in using a Schecter Evil Twin with Fishmans in Dropped B.

Attachments

• otaman456.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 4
Did the OP already sold his FM3? He got 43 replies, a lot of help, but he is showing no signs of life.

Last edited:
Spend $15 on York Audio’s new DV77 pack and I promise you’re going to see a major difference.

I’ll say it until I’m blue in the face; if you’re tweaking endlessly and not getting something you absolutely love, you’re using the wrong IR.

I use IR’s to get 90%-95% of the way there, then fine tune it or tweak if needed. I play the exact kind of music and I’ve also got the Fishman’s. I’ve heard some say “If you use the IR to get THAT much of the tone, what is the AxeFX really doing?”, to which my only reply is “Do the same thing on any other modeler and see what you get.”

Just do the test from the Guitar World article that I have linked

"But if after all this, you still want your guitar neck to be mechanically coupled to the sides of the neck pocket you can devise a simple test to see if it provides any sonic merits: just take a tiny wooden shim and slide it into the gap. Does the guitar sound better? If so, leave it in. If not, take it out"
You know I never worried about this, but its interesting article, I myself have always preferred a neck through but I like bolt on's too and mostly play a bolt on hard tail these days. (not that anyone cares.. lol...) My bolt on has no room for a piece of paper let alone a shim... So question is OP needing a shim? or some amp modeling help with the FM3?

You know I never worried about this, but its interesting article, I myself have always preferred a neck through but I like bolt on's too and mostly play a bolt on hard tail these days. (not that anyone cares.. lol...) My bolt on has no room for a piece of paper let alone a shim... So question is OP needing a shim? or some amp modeling help with the FM3?
Sorry. I did post that at the wrong thread. It was supposed to be here:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/gap-between-neck-and-body-on-j-custom.174429/

Spend $15 on York Audio’s new DV77 pack and I promise you’re going to see a major difference.

I’ll say it until I’m blue in the face; if you’re tweaking endlessly and not getting something you absolutely love, you’re using the wrong IR.

I use IR’s to get 90%-95% of the way there, then fine tune it or tweak if needed. I play the exact kind of music and I’ve also got the Fishman’s. I’ve heard some say “If you use the IR to get THAT much of the tone, what is the AxeFX really doing?”, to which my only reply is “Do the same thing on any other modeler and see what you get.”
Are you using an IR blender for packs like this, or are you just loading up one or two straight into a cab block?

I usually get overwhelmed with all the options so I fire up a couple of them into an IR blender, get a decent sound then save that as a new IR. I'm wondering if my process is weird or if that's something pretty common. If you're using them straight out of the pack then do you have any good combo's? Might pick these up, haven't tried any of the York stuff but I see everyone raving about them.

Are you using an IR blender for packs like this, or are you just loading up one or two straight into a cab block?

I usually get overwhelmed with all the options so I fire up a couple of them into an IR blender, get a decent sound then save that as a new IR. I'm wondering if my process is weird or if that's something pretty common. If you're using them straight out of the pack then do you have any good combo's? Might pick these up, haven't tried any of the York stuff but I see everyone raving about them.
People definitely do that... You can also just try starting with the Mix IRs first.

Nah I'm running SPDIF out into an Audient ID14mk2. It's a digital signal so it should be identical to USB out.
Right, the SPDIF sort of slipped my mind. Only had the FM3 for about a month. ((With all the Firmware distraction I’m just now exploring the unit more in depth.)) I would say SPDIF would be the purest way to demonstrate a sound.

Right, the SPDIF sort of slipped my mind. Only had the FM3 for about a month. ((With all the Firmware distraction I’m just now exploring the unit more in depth.)) I would say SPDIF would be the purest way to demonstrate a sound.
Yeah if you're using USB then it will be the same (digital). I've got my interface hooked upto my monitors and if I use the FM3 as the interface then I'd have to unplug them and place into the FM3. There's ways around this but I just found running it through spdif to the interface is the best of both worlds. Reasonably simple and the quality is top notch.

I rarely blend IR's. I can usually find what I want with just one and it's only if I'm really after something specific that I'll blend two together.

Just snag that DV77 pack, the first 12 IR's are ridiculously great!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom