Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.01 Beta 1 Public Beta

Yes it seems that I need to play more with the master volume button . I believe it was the sweet spot by default but maybe not .
yes with same irs .
Cool to know that the savage presence is like that so.
And the presence shift in mark 4?

Last edited:
Yes it seems that I need to play more with the master volume button . I believe it was the sweet spot by default but maybe not .
yes with same irs .
Cool to know that the savage presence is like
If you think you have everything set as it’s supposed to be and yet think your sound is off, triple check amp master volume. I used to either leave it on default value or crank it all the way up (because more is more, right?), but since I understood more how it affects the sound I now tend to listen it more closely and settle even for values as low as 2.

Default master volume value is not always the sweet spot. For my go-to Marshall (JMP and 800) sound atm I set the master volume trim to 0.5 and set the master volume around 3. Keeps the amp nice and tight, even with boosts. YMMV.

FYI I owned a guitar store for a long time and was a dealer for most of these amps.

I finally had time to go through my presets and some sounded better and some no so good, the ones I did no like was easily adjusted to sound better than before. Some I had to change out IR's or just adjust the tone after reset. I also went to a couple of amps that the presence or tone knobs did not work like the amps and they do now. I listened to last nights rehearsal and the sound is more round to me and the bass sounds better all around...... minor tweaks and everything sounds so much better. I would suggest taking the time to adjust your presets before posting anything. These guys have busted the butts getting this to the point where it is now and I for one greatly appreciate what they have done!!

Spend more time of stuff, play more stuff and have fun with stuff.
I like Stuff!!

If you are a plug and play type I would suspect the presets will follow soon.

Cheers,

Comparison clip? :)
Here's a little clip comparison that hopefully illustrates my tip. The higher Input Trim gives palm mutes a little more hair and thickness behind them while the default Input Trim keeps them a little tidier and controlled.

1. Real amp
2. Model with Input Trim at 1.00
3. Input Trim raised
4. Real amp
5. Switches between models with raised Input Trim and default Input Trim.

Here's a little clip comparison that hopefully illustrates my tip. The higher Input Trim gives palm mutes a little more hair and thickness behind them while the default Input Trim keeps them a little tidier and controlled.

1. Real amp
3. Input Trim raised
4. Real amp

Amazing! Thank you so much sir!

There seems to be something wrong with the Dizzy V4 silver. CH 2 has too much gain and is too tight, on the other hand CH 3 is too flubby and not enough gain.
I thought the same too when I first tried it on Cygnus, since it's quite different than the old Ares model, but then I watched this video and it sounds pretty much identical to the new model for me

nothing ? They all sounding different if he came from 15 . you need to retweak everything and yes it’s globally bassy and muffled sounding first . Many amps got the bass at zero now, I boost the high frequency in the amp eq sliders in most of them because it sound very dark first . The sound needs to be opened . I understand what he mean. But then it sounds cool after tweaks.
talking about the high gain amps . The fender , Marshall , cleans don’t have any problems
Thanks. That's good to know. I am in the middle of a recording project right now and don't have the time to re-do all my great sounding 15.01 presets at the moment. I'll give the new firmware a try again after I am finished.

I thought the same too when I first tried it on Cygnus, since it's quite different than the old Ares model, but then I watched this video and it sounds pretty much identical to the new model for me

that’s perfect example how subjective can be a perception of the sound.

on the one hand we have folks sayin’ it’s nowhere near close how real amp sounds, gain staging looks messed up in the models, etc. ... and on another hand we have guys sayin’ it sounds amazing and exactly like official amp demo 😃

maybe we should create a pool to see, if there’s enough people interested in this model and how many folks thinks it sounds or feels off so maybe Cliff will be interested to check once again.

Personally, I think that if Cliff would power his real vh4, cranked both ch2 and ch3 gain knobs, he could hear in a seconds that ch3 has much more gain and the feel is different (no flub, etc), therefore there’s something wrong with the models.

At the same time I don’t think that’s the most important thing to do now and I will still keep ax3 in the highest regards, as my best audio investment, by far :)

There's nothing wrong with the amp types you're mentioning, so it must be something on your side. Did you use Dynamic Depth in your v15 presets? Tried resetting the system parameters? What IR(s) do you use?
Hi Yek,
No I never used the dynamic depth in my 15.01 presets. I did not try resetting the system parameters as I've never needed to before. I use different IRS some stock, some Ownhammer, some York Audio. All my 15.01 presets sounded great. Changing nothing but going from 15.01 straight to 16.01 beta 1 did in fact make every single preset unusable to me. Every single preset sounded terrible. As I said before, it sounded like I'd put my hands over my ears and also turned up the bass on all of the presets. Everything sounded muddy. No clarity at all. No presence, no sparkle. I've never experienced this in all the years I've been using the Axe FXII and Axe FXIII and updating firmwares. It was always relatively easy to tweak presets when going to a new firmware. I never had to re-do everything.

I play an Eric Johnson Stratocaster and a couple of stock vintage Stratocasters. The sounds I use are along the lines of Jim Hendrix, Jeff Beck, David Gilmour, and Eric Johnson. I own and use most of the real amps I am duplicating in the Axe FXIII so I know what they sound like. I also have a Gretch Country Gentleman and a Gretsch Duo Jet that I use for Beatles sounds or rockabilly sounds. I could nail all of those sounds with 15.01.

I am in the middle of a recording project right now so I just switched back to 15.01 as I don't have the time to re-do all of my presets right now so they sound good on 16.01 beta 1. When I am finished I'll probably give it another try knowing I will have to literally re-do everything.

Hi Yek,
No I never used the dynamic depth in my 15.01 presets. I did not try resetting the system parameters as I've never needed to before. I use different IRS some stock, some Ownhammer, some York Audio. All my 15.01 presets sounded great. Changing nothing but going from 15.01 straight to 16.01 beta 1 did in fact make every single preset unusable to me. Every single preset sounded terrible. As I said before, it sounded like I'd put my hands over my ears and also turned up the bass on all of the presets. Everything sounded muddy. No clarity at all. No presence, no sparkle. I've never experienced this in all the years I've been using the Axe FXII and Axe FXIII and updating firmwares. It was always relatively easy to tweak presets when going to a new firmware. I never had to re-do everything.

I play an Eric Johnson Stratocaster and a couple of stock vintage Stratocasters. The sounds I use are along the lines of Jim Hendrix, Jeff Beck, David Gilmour, and Eric Johnson. I own and use most of the real amps I am duplicating in the Axe FXIII so I know what they sound like. I also have a Gretch Country Gentleman and a Gretsch Duo Jet that I use for Beatles sounds or rockabilly sounds. I could nail all of those sounds with 15.01.

I am in the middle of a recording project right now so I just switched back to 15.01 as I don't have the time to re-do all of my presets right now so they sound good on 16.01 beta 1. When I am finished I'll probably give it another try knowing I will have to literally re-do everything.
maybe try to lower speaker compression and speaker time in your patches.

works especially well for high gain sounds, so for less muddy and tighter sound :

speaker compression 1
speaker time 200ms

Absolutely loving the new Blackglass 7K model! I'm sure this is probably identical to the pedal, but the amount of gain i get when raising the knob to 10 is just a hair too little. Nothing a little input boost can't fix, but wondering if the drive models can benefit from just a input knob that we can gain stage ourselves within the block instead of raising the input from the block prior.
Though maybe this is already a feature and i'm just blind and need pointing in the right direction?

that’s perfect example how subjective can be a perception of the sound.

on the one hand we have folks sayin’ it’s nowhere near close how real amp sounds, gain staging looks messed up in the models, etc. ... and on another hand we have guys sayin’ it sounds amazing and exactly like official amp demo 😃

maybe we should create a pool to see, if there’s enough people interested in this model and how many folks thinks it sounds or feels off so maybe Cliff will be interested to check once again.

Personally, I think that if Cliff would power his real vh4, cranked both ch2 and ch3 gain knobs, he could hear in a seconds that ch3 has much more gain and the feel is different (no flub, etc), therefore there’s something wrong with the models.

At the same time I don’t think that’s the most important thing to do now and I will still keep ax3 in the highest regards, as my best audio investment, by far :)
All I was trying to say is that maybe the amp cliff has sounds closer to the one in the video than the one you have, I guess there might be different revisions of the VH4 silver.

As I said I thought there was something wrong with that model as well and, since I've never played a real one, I just checked a few videos on youtube, and some of them seem to have a higher gain on ch.2 than others.

Seeing that video I don't think it's a perception problem, it's pretty evident that ch.2, with the drive knob set at noon, has a lot more gain than the Ares model (which was pretty much clean set like that) but comparable to the Cygnus model.

Anyway you can be sure that If there's actually something wrong cliff will fix it

1. Real amp
3. Input Trim raised
4. Real amp

Sounds great , and although it is kind of a trick question
this clip would be a killer blind test
to try and spot the real amp
i bet at the end ,clip 5 you would get some great answers
like you can clearly hear the second clip is much fuller and the switch is obvious , i know its mean but it is kind of funny

Changing nothing but going from 15.01 straight to 16.01 beta 1 did in fact make every single preset unusable to me.
next time you update, make sure you reset the amp channel you're using. copy it over to one of the other channels before you reset, so you can keep a record of any deep tweaks you made and also compare the reset version against the non-reset version. resetting the channel makes sure that all the paramters are at their default values for the new firmware version

1. Real amp
3. Input Trim raised
4. Real amp

Man, I don't know what to think about the Input Trim anymore lol

A few weeks ago someone posted about a similar tip, and were pretty much told it just adjusts your input level into the amp, which could also be accomplished with hotter pickups, or more level on your boost pedals, or pre-amp EQ's/Filters.

Discussion Link

Man, I don't know what to think about the Input Trim anymore lol

A few weeks ago someone posted about a similar tip, and were pretty much told it just adjusts your input level into the amp, which could also be accomplished with hotter pickups, or more level on your boost pedals, or pre-amp EQ's/Filters.

Discussion Link
Just think of input trim as another cool tone shaping element to fine-tune your sound. You can lower it to clean/tighten up a guitar with hot pickups through a high gain amp (Misha’s thing), or you can thicken up a tone by raising it.

I was just trying to match some amps and found that raising the input trim helped me replicate more of the volatility I was getting from my heads. It’s just cool that we have the ability to tweak that stuff. I’m sure there are other advanced parameters that could get more accurate results, but it was a “quick fix” that felt great and hopefully it helps others.

Just think of input trim as another cool tone shaping element to fine-tune your sound. You can lower it to clean/tighten up a guitar with hot pickups through a high gain amp (Misha’s thing), or you can thicken up a tone by raising it.

I was just trying to match some amps and found that raising the input trim helped me replicate more of the volatility I was getting from my heads. It’s just cool that we have the ability to tweak that stuff. I’m sure there are other advanced parameters that could get more accurate results, but it was a “quick fix” that felt great and hopefully it helps others.
Yeah I also tried your suggestions with the input trim on this beta and found it to be just what I was looking for 👌

Back
Top Bottom