Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 5 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some notes:

1. This firmware will update various parameters to default values when loading presets. This includes Power Tube Bias, Bias Excursion, Negative Feedback, etc., etc.

2. I have adjusted the Power Tube Bias vs. the previous beta. In the previous beta the Fender (et. al.) default bias values were based on the original factory values. After much consideration I have decided to use "best practice" bias points.

The reason for this is that Fender amps were biased very cold from the factory to ensure the tubes lasted beyond the warranty period and cut down on warranty claims on tubes. However when replacing the tubes in ANY amp the best practice is to bias the tubes at 60-70% of max plate dissipation (for Class-AB amps).

I have some old Fender amps here with the original tubes in them and they are biased around 50% which is extremely cold. If I were to replace the tubes I would adjust the bias to around 66% (my personal preference).

So the bias point for all models is now commensurate with the typical bias point a technician would set the amp at rather than the factory value as the factory value almost always errs on the cold side for tube reliability reasons.

Therefore you will now see bias points of around 0.5 to 0.6 for 6L6 amps and 0.45 to 0.5 for EL34 amps and so forth. Feel free to experiment with colder or hotter bias points. Setting the bias colder (lower) results in a more dynamic response but harsher breakup and more crossover distortion. Setting the bias higher results in a warmer but less dynamic tone. For a Fender model the factory bias equivalent may be as low as 0.45.

For "Class-A" amps the bias point is adjusted using the Cathode Bias Resistance parameter. For those amps that parameter now appears on the Power Amp tab of the amp block. Increasing the value results in a COLDER bias point and vice-versa (opposite of the bias parameter behavior).

3. This firmware is more aggressive in the very high frequencies than the previous beta. There was a mistake in the power amp algorithm that reduced the drive into the virtual power tube grids by about 30% typically. So the grids weren't clipping as soon as they should resulting in reduced high frequency overtones. This typically will only be noticeable on non-MV amps. On non-MV amps you should hear a bit extra "sizzle" in the top end.

4. If you complain you'll be sent to the back of the room and will have to sit in the corner with a funny hat on for the rest of the day.
Thanks for taking the time to share these notes!

OMFG How did I forget about the Hiwatt?!
The Hiwatt is honestly 80% of why I bought the Axe-FX. I used to own a DR-504 and got the itch to buy another a couple of years ago, but it seemed ridiculous to drag around something that huge and loud and then attenuate it down to a functional volume. It was a slippery slope from high-end attenuators to Fractal.

The Hiwatt is honestly 80% of why I bought the Axe-FX. I used to own a DR-504 and got the itch to buy another a couple of years ago, but it seemed ridiculous to drag around something that huge and loud and then attenuate it down to a functional volume. It was a slippery slope from high-end attenuators to Fractal.
I use it for bass patches, and a special IR I cooked up for my piezo equipped electrics: A 50/50 blend of a grand auditorium acoustic and a Celestion 1x12 blue speaker.

Reactions: ESW
Care to share that IR? Sounds interesting and I have a few piezo equipped guitars I still haven't nailed my happy spot on.
I use it for bass patches, and a special IR I cooked up for my piezo equipped electrics: A 50/50 blend of a grand auditorium acoustic and a Celestion 1x12 blue speaker.

Not sure if this has been reported yet, but I encountered some issues after updating.

Some of the amps I'm using on a couple presets (not sure about others) are defaulting to different amps, I could not get the USA IIc++ to work and the JVM OD1 Red neither, also.

Not sure if this is a random glitch, I personally decided to go back to beta 4, for the time being.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate all the amazing working you guys are putting into this, Cygnus is amazing so far, keep it up, thanks!

Not sure if this has been reported yet, but I encountered some issues after updating.

Some of the amps I'm using on a couple presets (not sure about others) are defaulting to different amps, I could not get the USA IIc++ to work and the JVM OD1 Red neither, also.

Not sure if this is a random glitch, I personally decided to go back to beta 4, for the time being.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate all the amazing working you guys are putting into this, Cygnus is amazing so far, keep it up, thanks!
Refresh Axe Edit

Refresh Axe Edit
And use this newest Axe Edit version: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-edit-iii-1-08-09-supports-fw-16-00-public-beta-5.170905/

Dude, how do you rate these speakers? I'm thinking of getting a couple. Either them or Scumbacks.
I know you’re not asking me, but I’m on the lookout for an EVH cab after buying the excellent EVH pack from York Audio. If the IRs are anything to go on, they’re very nice speakers.

I can find many info on how to properly update to a new firmware (or beta),
I have read some threads on what to do after a new system affecting amps algorithm.
But, this still not clear to me. (It's my first update)
To my understanding, we have to:

-Install the latest axe edit available.
-Back up old firmware, presets, cabs, etc. with Fractal Bot
-Install new firmware with Fractal Bot.
-Go to setting in Axe Edit and do a "Refresh after new FW"
-On "every preset", go to amp block and select another amp model, and then select it back.
-re do parameters of the amp at your taste again.
-Check levels at output block.

Is that all?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom