Everything you've always wanted to know about LEVELS (III, FM3, FM9)

wonder about the FX send and return. I'm having an intersting situation occur where setting the FX return level at 100% causing clipping in several delays, the most notable being the 2290.
Are you referring to the Send/Return blocks?

If so, maybe elaborate on what you're doing. Those blocks are designed for "routing" the grid or creating feedback loops...

Are you referring to the Send/Return blocks?

If so, maybe elaborate on what you're doing. Those blocks are designed for "routing" the grid or creating feedback loops...
I'm using the effect send and return to continue the first line and make it longer for more effects after the amp block. As you know the send has no level control but the return has a return level. After the return I placed a delay block and several others including reverb etc. With that return level set higher than 50%I'm getting some distortion in the delay repeats but only on the 2290 as well as the tape delay. No other delays seem to distort but those delay choices.

I'm using the effect send and return to continue the first line and make it longer for more effects after the amp block. As you know the send has no level control but the return has a return level. After the return I placed a delay block and several others including reverb etc. With that return level set higher than 50%I'm getting some distortion in the delay repeats but only on the 2290 as well as the tape delay. No other delays seem to distort but those delay choices.
That seems really odd. The Level really should be 100%.

Post a screenshot and/or the preset.

Also, check the Meters view on the front panel - the should let you see where the signal is increasing.

That seems really odd. The Level really should be 100%.

Post a screenshot and/or the preset.

Also, check the Meters view on the front panel - the should let you see where the signal is increasing.
I'm in front of it now. I'll set it up send you the patch?

Attachments

• 002_country.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
About the FM3 input pad. I was using the IN 3 straight to my daw which is supposed to be the raw D.I? But I took notice it does indeed clip depending on what you set the I/O input pad to. I had it set at 6db where it tickles the red occasionally but I noticed it was clipping the raw di in my daw so I just ended setting it to 12db to fix that.

Reactions: Rex
Thanks for this! I realized from reading this I was doing it wrong. I had listened to the manual to tickle the red on the Input 1 / Instrument but then I was driving amps with way too much volume so I was turning this down to compensate. Now instead that I realize that that input is pre AD converter I am tickling the red and then using the input 1 gain knob to adjust the level down.

Something that I think helped me in terms of setting this level is adjusting it until the presets sound good (ie a clean should sound clean, a crunch crunchy, etc.) and then that way when I'm making my own user presets they will still work with the same input gain setting and blend well with the factory presets.

All of my guitars tend to have low output pickups. I've always made up for this with the drive knob. Using input trim to get the right level into the amp is a game changer for me.

Is this old
  • When you select a block on the hardware and press Edit, you’ll see a mini meter, indicating the left/right input resp. output signals. The software editors do not provide these mini meters. If the input mini meter hits red, it means that the output level of the preceding block is too hot. Blocks in the digital domain can’t really clip though; that can only happen at the final digital-to-analog conversion stage.
Or does the software editor still not provide these mini-meters?

I'm trying to make sure I don't have any saturation in the sound chain and I found this thread

Thanks you so much! I suppose is the only way to find a "clip" in the chain, not seems to be a user-friendly way but...

The internal calculations are floating point, so you cannot clip in the chain, you can only clip at the output

The internal calculations are floating point, so you cannot clip in the chain, you can only clip at the output
Sorry, so I can't saturate (digital saturation, or put the correct words here) the signal between the first and the second block, per example?

Back
Top Bottom