Boss GT-1000CORE

:rolleyes: ....Phhh.. Great. ..now, y'see ..this is why I don't show-up more often. I come here to say "Hi!" ..I leave a few minutes later, hundreds of bucks poorer! :0)

One thing I like about the Boss Processors is that the sounds you get from them seem a-little-more idealized and over-produced than you get - say - from Fractal stuff.. If I want an amp to sound real, Fractal does that. If I want overproduced, then Boss pretty-much have that baked into their boxes - and it's all different, and usable.

I like this form factor, too. ..I can fit it into my secret-stash rack-drawer, at work!! :0)

View attachment 73661

I like the idea of it, I don't like that you can see through it. I have played patios, sloppy-bars, and cow fields.. It just don't trust-it to go all the places I go. :0)

I really don't like that! Do they need that for cooling? First thing I've seen about it that makes me go - "nope."
Will also get dusty over time.
I too play bars and small clubs. People aren't spilling beer, but I often do rushed loads/unloads, so I like sealed boxes.

-P

The FM3 isn't exactly sealed either... any device like this is going to need some form of ventilation.

They're basically computers. Which means they have IC's that need cooling. And the more powerful the chip, the more it needs access to fresh air for cooling.

i mean, "With 2GHz of dedicated DSP from its Quad-Core SHARC® architecture, this ludicrous amount of processing capacity" probably needs a lot of cooling.

quote taken from their website ;)

I really don't like that! Do they need that for cooling? First thing I've seen about it that makes me go - "nope....

I agree ..the downside to a small chassis and substantial processing power - this thing is wide open for cooling. ...Most of these floor units have ways-in to some degree. Even the AX8, I was worried about the encoders if somebody spilled on it, or if it got rained on a little - still a concern, but it has held up pretty well for having been spilled on a bit, and sprinkled-on (c/o mother nature), a tiny-bit, too. Having said that, I don't think a floor unit wide-open to such an extent as this QC is a preferable design for rough conditions.

This QC is pretty futuristic though! 'Hat's off to them for that... Maybe the next iteration will have a more tricky design better able to limit that kind of venting. ..If I didn't have an AXE III I might like it for a home studio? Used as a desktop processor-I would be more interested. But, I have an AXE III, so I'm set there.

Getting back on subject, I have owned all kinds of BOSS/Roland stuff - Got bunches of it on shelves, amps too,. ..to my ears Boss stuff has a different sound - an over-produced 80's/90's type sound. For me, it's very-easy to get those kinds of sounds from BOSS stuff. This new tech QC etc., (Fractal too), seems to be more in a heated race to utter perfection. Sometimes perfection isn't the noise in my head. Sometimes (all sacrilege aside), the sounds in my head are more easily grab-n-go from older Line6, Digitech, or BOSS products. ..So I am interested in this 1000Core..

I have a GT-001 ..this 1000Core will likely replace that.

The CORE came. It's everything I expected it to be - it sounds really good. If you've got a Fractal processor then you already have better quality amps and effects but the CORE has some unique Boss effects that are very nice additions to your Fractal arsenal and several of the amp models are very usable if you want to add an amp to your signal path.

I knew it what size it was going to be but once I had it in my hand I was really impressed at how nice and compact it is while still packing in a ton of features. For some reason it hadn't occurred to me that it was the same size as the 500 series.

C7DBCAE5-F3EE-47D6-9AF4-268FB858412B.jpeg

The CORE came. It's everything I expected it to be - it sounds really good. If you've got a Fractal processor then you already have better quality amps and effects but the CORE has some unique Boss effects that are very nice additions to your Fractal arsenal and several of the amp models are very usable if you want to add an amp to your signal path.

The effects sound good in the demos.

I like its slightly sci-fi sitar simulation, demonstrated here (17:26):

Wouldn't mind having that in our Fractal devices.

I am and will be a happy Axe FX 3 User, but sometimes GAS wins and you just want a new toy. :) So since a few days I have the GT-1000. I am just a bedroom player, but for my needs I think it's fantastic. I have found 3 Patches Clean, Crunch, Lead that I am very happy with. (I have been a "Preset Hunter" for a long time, but maybe as you get older, you learn not to waste too much energy on unnecessary things... ;)) And - very important for me - they also sound fantastic at very low volumes. OK, the display is not state of the art, but apart from that the GT-1000 sounds really great!
My favorite Presets after a few days of only scratching the surface are Clean: "Driven Del" (Deluxe Amp), Crunch: "JT Crunch" (you can download this for free from the Boss Tone Central) and Lead: "Buttersmooth LD". As I said before: sometimes less is more - time to play guitar!

A BOSS GT-1000CORE is probably going to replace my FM3 this week. It is a killer piece!
"Replace it" ..??? .. a form-factor thing? Fractal (to my ears) has better amps, cabs, and effects too; but form factor is sometimes as important.

I ended-up getting a GT1000 which I use as an all-in-one effects board w/midi switching on a couple of my amp rigs. It's a pretty-neat thing! ...Finally, a GT with enough buttons to stomp on, too!

They are making a lot of really-cool little high-powered processors for effects boards and table-tops these days. A 'Core would be great for that. I almost bought one myself; but couldn't justify its use.

What do you like about it better than the FM3?
Definitely would love to hear the answer to this. I used one at a friends house and it was not even close to the performance and sound of the FM3. Not to mention less footswitch control. But hey, what someone else likes is there business. I get that.
Guess the size is a biggie? No pun intended!

Last edited:
"Replace it" ..??? .. a form-factor thing? Fractal (to my ears) has better amps, cabs, and effects too; but form factor is sometimes as important.

I ended-up getting a GT1000 which I use as an all-in-one effects board w/midi switching on a couple of my amp rigs. It's a pretty-neat thing! ...Finally, a GT with enough buttons to stomp on, too!

They are making a lot of really-cool little high-powered processors for effects boards and table-tops these days. A 'Core would be great for that. I almost bought one myself; but couldn't justify its use.
Yes, using the X-Crunch amp model for clean, crunch and lead (with a good IR) I am able to get through entire sets with the GT-1000 and it sounds fantastic. It also offers gapless patch switching and faster patch changes. Hey, at 1/3 the price and 1/4 the weight - I really have nothing to lose. The only thing I will miss is the balanced XLR outs. :)

Yes, using the X-Crunch amp model for clean, crunch and lead (with a good IR) I am able to get through entire sets with the GT-1000 and it sounds fantastic. It also offers gapless patch switching and faster patch changes. Hey, at 1/3 the price and 1/4 the weight - I really have nothing to lose. The only thing I will miss is the balanced XLR outs. :)
Hey! If it works, it works! :0) ..Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom