FM3 Firmware 1.06 Public Beta 3

Perhaps not, but when the FM3 was originally announced, we were told that the only differences we would notice between this and the Axe III are that fewer blocks could be used per preset and that some of the "inauthentic" amp parameters would not be available. Now we see that the effects blocks themselves may be getting the skinny treatment.
Who told you that?

Not to be too cynical, but the beta team also signed off on usb/recording issues for 1.03, 1.04, and 1.05...
This seems a bit “unfair.”

1.03 fixed some instability. Users did not report USB issues in 1.03, and many returned to 1.03 for its USB capabilities when they ran into issues in later firmware.

1.04 updated a ton of blocks to match the Axe3 and new amp models among many other features and fixes. Many users said USB communication was improved, while a small amount said they started having USB connection issues, where some of that seemed to be hardware/unit specific in the 1.04 thread. Few USB audio issues were mentioned.

1.05 fixed a lot of bugs and to my knowledge is where the USB audio issues began.

Majority of users had no issues in 1.03 and 1.04, so to mention those seems a bit out of place in this context.

You know what would be cool if possible? Have a preset that only has one block available for reverb that can utilize most if not all of the FM3's capability so you could use that effect as a pedal or in the loop of your real amp...

This is my biggest wish. I don’t understand why we can’t utilize as many blocks that we can fit within the processing power. What if I wanted 2 pitch blocks and that’s it? It would be cool to have the same building blocks as the III, but have a smaller foundation to build in.

Last edited:
This is my biggest wish. I don’t understand why we can’t utilize as many blocks that we can fit within the power of the processing power. What if I wanted 2 pitch blocks and that’s it?
To control that 2nd or 5th pitch block, the unit would also have to on-the-fly have a “Pitch 5” FC switch assignment, midi cc# assignment slot, and Edit would have to know there is a 5th block too, populate the number 5 etc.

This has been asked for since the first Axe, but it seems most gear needs to “know” how many blocks are available in advance, not on the fly.

To control that 2nd or 5th pitch block, the unit would also have to on-the-fly have a “Pitch 5” FC switch assignment, midi cc# assignment slot, and Edit would have to know there is a 5th block too, populate the number 5 etc.

I can understand why we can’t add an undetermined amount of blocks, but not why there’s not parity between the III and FM3 in number of blocks to utilize. I just wish the limiting factor was cpu, and not the absence of blocks.

Just did a quick USB recording test. USB recording was working for me on 1.06 beta 2 except that I couldn't use the "additional tracking/playback volume" button (or whatever you call it) in Studio One 2 without having a large amount of latency. With beta 3 I can now use the button if I want to (I didn't need the button before, but I guess I can use it now if I want to).

I'm using Windows 10 if that matters.

"They are the same quality. Certain features were removed to allow the algorithms to run including the bias tremolo, input dynamics processing, and several other inauthentic enhancements."
That was a comment about the amp sims, and it remains true as far as I can tell. I do get the frustrations, but this quote does not support the point.

This seems a bit “unfair.”

1.03 fixed some instability. Users did not report USB issues in 1.03, and many returned to 1.03 for its USB capabilities when they ran into issues in later firmware.

1.04 updated a ton of blocks to match the Axe3 and new amp models among many other features and fixes. Many users said USB communication was improved, while a small amount said they started having USB connection issues, where some of that seemed to be hardware/unit specific in the 1.04 thread. Few USB audio issues were mentioned.

1.05 fixed a lot of bugs and to my knowledge is where the USB audio issues began.

Majority of users had no issues in 1.03 and 1.04, so to mention those seems a bit out of place in this context.

You know what, you’re right. Sorry for the cynicism.

I want to see the USB issues resolved so FAS can focus on developing this product to reach its full potential. I know it’s not an AxeIII and there are limits to what it can and will be able to support. I’m (not so) patiently waiting for when they can fully focus on implementing updates rather than chasing USB problems.

I had a chance to jam a bit after updating and the amps still sound phenomenal. Not sure what the diffusion parameter does but the amps themselves still put a smile on my face.

But did you expect that features would be removed over time, or that optimizations would take things in the other direction?
I agree, I did not expect that features would be removed over time. It may be that Fractal failed to adequately set expectations about what this device would be able to do, and allowed us to fill in the blanks with our own minds. My expectation was also along the lines of what you said, but when I looked into it I realised Fractal never said that.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like the Pitch block has been improved. I was messing around, and could step down 5 tones and still had solid tracking and not much latency. I thought it was good before, but now it's really tight. I would never use more than a whole step, but it's awesome to know it'll do more. Could be in my head... idk, but I'm happy! Thanks Fractal!

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like the Pitch block has been improved. I was messing around, and could step down 5 tones and still had solid tracking and not much latency.
Seconded - the tracking on the pitch block seems rock solid, and I was worried that due to CPU constraints it might suffer. I used it on the AX8 and got away with it, but this seems nailed on.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like the Pitch block has been improved. I was messing around, and could step down 5 tones and still had solid tracking and not much latency.
I messed around a bit with a preset that had a 2 step down scene and had very noticeable latency on fast picked stuff.

But did you expect that features would be removed over time, or that optimizations would take things in the other direction?
And what about when you get new features? New amps, new pedals, new algorithms improvements and everything for FREE? A little piece of patience and respect to the FAS team would be welcome!

Back
Top Bottom