How can I connect my Axe-Fx 3 to my UAD Apollo Twin?

mr336

Hi All
I contacted UAD to inquire about this question and the tech said he doesn't think anything is available. I hope you all can cure what ails me ha ha. I was hoping to leave the Axe out thru SPDIF and into the Optical in on the Apollo. Thanks.

Cheers

Mike

I don’t think you can go from SPDIF to optical

Does the Apollo have SPDIF input ?

Given the Axe already has an interface built in, and a good one at that, I think I’d just use simple USB for getting audio into your DAW, makes things simple.

No SPDIF on the Apollo . Thats what I've heard too about going from SPDIF to Optical.

Thats what I was doing. USB in but I needed to change my Input device to the Apollo to use the plugins. Guess I can switch back n forth. Thanks for the reply.

Portta RCA Analog (L/R) to Digital Optical Coaxial Toslink Audio Converter with DC Power Cable.

Over 500 reviews with a 4 star rating. And it was $13 bucks.

i actually have the spdif and the analog outs connected. i mute the spdif in the console mixer, but record from it in logic. this means i'm monitoring the analog outs and can control the volume from the front panel. saves me going into console and messing with a fader to get a good monitoring volume.

Hello Everyone, I know this is an old post but the first to pop up when I searched. I have a question regarding a similar setup.

I am trying to run my Axe 3 through an Apollo Twin X and then into Logic to keep everything tied together and have the option to use some of the UAD plugins. Having a hell of a time getting any sound from this setup though. Currently Axe is connected S/PDIF out to one channel left of the convertor boxes posted above. From there the Toslink runs to the Apollo in. Axe is set to S/PDIF and source as output 1, have set the sample rates to match between Axe, Apollo, and DAW, and have selected S/PDIF as source Apollo side.

Now the issue I'm having is that no audio or levels are detected at all when word clock in the Axe is set as internal, and when changed to S/PDIF it says "no clock" (Assuming due to no return S/PDIF line) and I do get a signal to the Apollo and out monitors but its just a buzzing or static sound. So some sort of signal is coming from the Axe to Apollo but I cannot seem to figure out what I'm missing. Any ideas?

as a side note, I get the same result wether playing an instrument into the Axe or taking a DI track and passing it back through the Axe (Via USB) and out to Apollo.

Question - I've seen where some Apollo (and other) users (@2112 - Leon?) use S/PDIF instead of USB for recording. Just wondering if it's a better option for certain reasons than going with USB. Thanks for any info!

Question - I've seen where some Apollo (and other) users (@2112 - Leon?) use S/PDIF instead of USB for recording. Just wondering if it's a better option for certain reasons than going with USB. Thanks for any info!

I have used both in the past. Before Covid, I recorded mainly USB at home in my home recording setup. After Covid, I took some gear home from my offsite studio including my UA apollo stuff and started running SPDIF into the Apollo.

They both sound the same, but I'm using the SPDIF connection because I'm also running other audio into the apollo both for remote teaching, live-streaming, sessions etc. and wanted no latency when tracking or teaching. Basically it depends what your monitors are plugged into, the apollo or the AxeFX if you want to reduce latency.

Have the Apollo set to S/PIDIF, gets a signal when I turn axe to S/PIDIF but it is only a static buzzing sound and AXE says “no clock” ... possible bad cables or S/PIDIF to Toslink convertor box?

Got it sorted and it sounds and works great. It was the converter box I was using to change the AXE S/PDIF out to the Toslink in on the Apollo! The unit was bad I guess, ordered a different one and it worked flawlessly.
Thank you! ImI

Got it sorted and it sounds and works great. It was the converter box I was using to change the AXE S/PDIF out to the Toslink in on the Apollo! The unit was bad I guess, ordered a different one and it worked flawlessly.
Thank you! ImI
Could you share the converter that you had purchased and ultimately got working please - TY!

Back
Top Bottom