Friedman BE-100 and FM3 - Axe-Fx III (emulate Phil X Demo)

This Actual Video Compelled me to spend £4000 on The Exact Head and Cabinet.

Whilst I Totally Loved playing this amp live, gig after gig, I still couldn't get anywhere near the Tone Phil X is getting here !!!

Remember this is a recording..... imagine what it must have sounded like in the room!

This is my "Dream Guitar Sound" and after speaking to Dave Friedman on numerous occasions realised that a large proportion of the character of the BE-100 comes from the cabinet.

My 4x12 had a mixture of Greenbacks and Vintage 30's which is a strange mix but somehow it worked???

IIRC it was configured 2 Greenbacks at the top and V30 on the Bottom.

If that helps in anyway with configuring your devices.....

Whilst I Totally Loved playing this amp live, gig after gig, I still couldn't get anywhere near the Tone Phil X is getting here !!!

Remember this is a recording..... imagine what it must have sounded like in the room!

This is my "Dream Guitar Sound" and after speaking to Dave Friedman on numerous occasions realised that a large proportion of the character of the BE-100 comes from the cabinet.

My 4x12 had a mixture of Greenbacks and Vintage 30's which is a strange mix but somehow it worked???

I've got one Suhr PT 2x12 cab with a GB and a v30. Another on the way. It's a great speaker mix and that cab sounds huge for a 212. Just awesome.

For IRs, I love @York Audio Blackjack IRs. They seem like a great mix of the v30/GB and they're my go-to IRs now.

I just updated my Phil X tone with FW 12.09 to match this video with my Les Paul. I basically used his same settings and stuck a 57 on it. If anyone here has the new York Audio MRSH M25 Cab Pack, use 57-1 in the cab block and that's the tone. His settings are a little dark for my taste personally, but the goal was to recreate the tone in the video with YouTube compression. I gotta say though, it's a lot of fun to play!

Attachments

• YA MRSH M25 Phil X Tone 57-1.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 187
I just updated my Phil X tone with FW 12.09 to match this video with my Les Paul. I basically used his same settings and stuck a 57 on it. If anyone here has the new York Audio MRSH M25 Cab Pack, use 57-1 in the cab block and that's the tone. His settings are a little dark for my taste personally, but the goal was to recreate the tone in the video with YouTube compression. I gotta say though, it's a lot of fun to play!
Getting the M25 pack because you seem like a good dude and all your products are great.

That Blackjack is glorious

Getting the M25 pack because you seem like a good dude and all your products are great.

That Blackjack is glorious

@York Audio DUDE!!!! So I bought the M25 pack and loaded your preset above. That was... 52 minutes ago. I'm still playing it! I made a couple tweaks (knocked the input gain down a bit, made the amp a little brighter). played with the 57-1 and also with the mixes (not simultaneously). Holy hell. Great job!!!! and Thank you!!!

Thank you for sharing the preset. It sounds great! (JEM7V with Gravity Storm)

I've loaded YA 412 MRSH M25-1 57 1A. Which one did you use exactly? A, B or C? They allsound great. Just curiosity

@York Audio DUDE!!!! So I bought the M25 pack and loaded your preset above. That was... 52 minutes ago. I'm still playing it! I made a couple tweaks (knocked the input gain down a bit, made the amp a little brighter). played with the 57-1 and also with the mixes (not simultaneously). Holy hell. Great job!!!! and Thank you!!!
Wow, that was really cool to read! Thank you! It’s a fun preset to play, but definitely benefits from tweaking for your tastes. Taking down the bass and/or depth can bring out more clarity since it’s such a thick sounding amp, but I tried to set the knobs the same way he had them. Seriously, thanks for writing that post. It meant a lot to me.

Thank you for sharing the preset. It sounds great! (JEM7V with Gravity Storm)

I've loaded YA 412 MRSH M25-1 57 1A. Which one did you use exactly? A, B or C? They allsound great. Just curiosity
It looks like you’ve got the old Checkmate pack. That’s a darker sounding pack, so you’ll definitely want to tweak the amp brighter if you’re using that one. I would think C or B would get you closest.

The pack @RayRay is talking about is this one that was recently released.

https://www.yorkaudio.co/product-page/mrsh-412-m25

There are fewer, but better and clearer, captures per mic with a better mic selection and more diverse multi-mic mixes. I don’t mean to hype it, but it’s a special pack for sure.

Wait a minute... You bought the exact head and cab and couldn't get "anywhere near" the tone?

A lot of Phil's tone in that clip comes from his hands and how he obliterates the guitar with his pick attack. If you want to get close to that sound, you can't be afraid to hit those strings like they insulted your mother.
true story, and so vital for any tone you are going after. The gear is only half the battle, you have to approach the instrument the same way as the person you are trying to emulate. A never-ending list of players that guys try to sound like but can't because they don't have the same technique as the artist.

This doesn't even begin to factor in swagger/attitude. Something you just can't teach.

true story, and so vital for any tone you are going after. The gear is only half the battle, you have to approach the instrument the same way as the person you are trying to emulate. A never-ending list of players that guys try to sound like but can't because they don't have the same technique as the artist.

This doesn't even begin to factor in swagger/attitude. Something you just can't teach.
Yep! I guess i'm just not Phil X...…

That taught me a valuable lesson, to be my own player and not copy anybody else.

Yep! I guess i'm just not Phil X...…

That taught me a valuable lesson, to be my own player and not copy anybody else.
goes for every player, though....how they play their rig is as important as the rig itself. Some less so than others, obviously...but the more iconic/attitude/swagger the bigger part that plays.

Took the BE v1 set settings like he had in the video, chose the stock IR Factory 2 #149 (4x12 AX V30 H) pushed the proximity up to 5.6 and it sounds like that video to me. Added some large plate reverb and a little delay and bingo. Using my trusty old Parker Fly Deluxe.

I’m just here to vote for a model of the Friedman Phil X. It really is a great amp!

Even accordingly to Dave Friedman it isn't that different to the BE100. I don't remember specifically what he said what was different but its maybe some of the stuff you can actually alter on axe amp parameters.

Even accordingly to Dave Friedman it isn't that different to the BE100. I don't remember specifically what he said what was different but its maybe some of the stuff you can actually alter on axe amp parameters.
I’ve gigged with and still own both. They sound different to me. I’d use them for different things.

Back
Top Bottom