Friedman BE-100 and FM3 - Axe-Fx III (emulate Phil X Demo)

Justin, this really sounds great even on FW 17! Thank you for putting this together as I've been recently exploring the Friedman HBE!

YA cabs are my go to cabs - nothing sounds as good as what you and your team come up with. Each cab is "musical" in it's own way - instead of just throwing a bunch of arbitrary mic positions on a cab!

In light of the new Cygnus modeling, are there any different adjustments that you find yourself making since the modeling is different from past firmwares?
Thanks for the kind words! As far as Cygnus adjustments go, the only thing that might be different is my Master Volume setting. Now that Cliff has given the MV an authentic taper, I tend to set it a little lower than default to find the sweet spot where you hear the power amp start to work, but it doesn't add too much of the boxy low-mids that sometimes happen when it's driven too hard.

My presets are embarrassingly simple. I take an amp, select the closest Impedance Curve for the cab I'm using, and tweak basic controls. Cygnus took away any need to mess with advanced parameters (for me), so it only takes a minute or two to create a killer sound. The amp modeling is so accurate now and sounds so good that it's making me lazy when it's time to create a new preset. :)

Here's my updated take on the Phil X tone and the preset I used for it with the IR in the title. Just don't make too much fun of my sloppy playing...

I finally finished shooting the Friedman 4x12 like the one he uses in the video and it's amazing how much of a difference it made using a Friedman cab vs my Marshall cab with Greenbacks. There really is something unique about what they do and it was interesting to hear how different those two cabs sound. Anyway, if any of you end up picking up the cab pack, I used the YA FDMN 412 M25 Mix PX for the IR. That should get you right in the ballpark.

Also, I made the preset with FW 13.01, so make sure you have that installed if you want to check it out.

This post just got you another sale. I LOVE that tone. 🤘🤘 I've been using the Friedman HBE in my AxeFx's since it was introduced. Gonna have to get back into preset building mode again!!

This post just got you another sale. I LOVE that tone. 🤘🤘 I've been using the Friedman HBE in my AxeFx's since it was introduced. Gonna have to get back into preset building mode again!!
Awesome man! I hope you enjoy the pack. :)

curious to know if you have any link to that info about MV tapers being authentic now..
Cliff mentioned it awhile back. I think he did that in FW 16 or something.

I'm getting some great Marshall type sounds out of my III with various amps, as good (to my ears) as what I heard in that video, but so far the Friedman amps are sort of eluding me. I just can't seem to get a good setup with them.
same +1

Back
Top Bottom