Allan Holdsworth Leads sound so liquid, right?

No there are not. Even if it sound ok or even good you have learned nothing by using it . You need to understand how different parameters effect the tone and how the way you play affects the tone. All presets for sale are counter productive.

No, I do not NEED any of that shit. I can buy Moke presets for any of his songs, learn it, and get compliments on my sound at the next gig. “You nailed it, dude!” Constantly.

I can download a Panama preset and sound a LOT like EVH, and I’m a pretty shitty guitar player.

Maybe you just need to practice more and stop preaching?

Obviously it would be unsustainable for Fractal’s products to only be available to people with that level of expertise. Even bands like Metallica have to hire people to set their shit up. Who are you?

No there are not. Even if it sound ok or even good you have learned nothing by using it . You need to understand how different parameters effect the tone and how the way you play affects the tone. All presets for sale are counter productive.
Andy, that is your opinion, plain and simple.

Personally I have never paid for a preset and probably never will.

That doesn't mean others should not or that they have no use.

Where is the rule that says somebody must know how parameters work in order to play and enjoy the Axe Fx? Where does it say someone needs to learn them?

I think it's a good idea, but nobody has to...

Additionally, I would argue that in some cases, spending hours chasing a specific sound is counterproductive when you could instead spend a few bucks to have it in hand.

Axe FX III. Latest FW. Going through the new presets today and will probably approve to Thibault. He did a great job nailing the sounds I had in my head.

Ok thanks a lot! Unfortunately I have an Axe fx II. Was interested in these presets. It would be the first preset pack that I would have bought if it was for the Axe II :) :)

This is an interesting video on getting Allan's sound with different drive pedals.

To me all those solo tones sound more or less the same. The differences are so subtle between all those pedals that it is hardly worth switching. I like the clean tone in that video.

I had two UD stomp pedals for years. I liked them. But didn't like how the pedal affected my sound when the pedal was in bypass. It sucks sound and adds highs to your sound. Eventually sold them.

To me all those solo tones sound more or less the same. The differences are so subtle between all those pedals that it is hardly worth switching. I like the clean tone in that video.
I had that Rockett pedal and I couldn't really get it to work for me. I have been using the reissue TC Electronic Classic Booster + distortion. Set it to the 'booster' side and it will give a really nice smooth boost. This is one of the pedals I have been using for years and will never get rid off. I showed it to Allan when we played in Sicily in 2011 and he said he also had the reissue. Of course Allan also has the original from the 70's that's close to impossible to find... According to Allan, the reissue did not sound anything like the original, but he liked the new one a lot and said it was very, very good.

That's an interesting post! What do you think is so good or special about the TC boost as opposed to other boost pedals or even using the Axe fx as a boost? I never really get why certain boost pedal are considered better than others. I know how to use them and what they do but to me it's just a raise in volume. But it might be my lack of experience with boost pedals.

I have a supposedly (?) really good one. It's a Bufftool from Paul Lenders (I am from the Netherlands too). It's a buffer pedaal with a volume boost knob and switch. But it has been collecting dust in my pedal closet for 5 years or so.

I had two UD stomp pedals for years. I liked them. But didn't like how the pedal affected my sound when the pedal was in bypass. It sucks sound and adds highs to your sound. Eventually sold them.
You are actually seeing a bunch of pedals that don't sound similar being made to sound almost the same by the playing style of the guitarist.

Working with an artist to create patches is totally different. If you tailor their rig to sound how they want it too with them playing you have bypassed all the things that make presets BS apart from learning how to make your own. Yes some people have neither the time nor the inclination to bother to learn but the likely outcome of buying presets and them sounding how they are intended with no tweaks is almost nil.
I've said it before but I think the AXE3 would benefit enormously from a set of global EQ options that were matched to typical problems and rigs. Even something as crude as the iTunes EQ would be useful to make quick easy (and easily reversible ) global changes on the fly for different rooms/amplification solutions. Yes you can do it with a regular EQ but there seems to be a large community that need help plugging their guitar in.

Considering Holdsworth used Yamaha DG series technology for a while, DG amps and the famous UD Stomp(8 voice choice/detune), one might say it really isn't all about the equipment. That being said, the DG series(I still own 2 DG80's) has some awesome tones for 1990's tech.

There was a thread, a while back about Holdsworth's chorus sound and how to get it with an AXE. I'd search for it, as I seem to remember it had some good info.

Last edited:
I agree with Unix-Guy(for a change:)), I always buy presets and have for every piece of modelling gear I've owned as it has progressed. I don't play covers, so for inspirations sake, I search for a sound that sparks creativity. Sometimes its dripping with FX, sometimes it's dry but just a juicy tone.
I don't know a lot, enough, about setting up FX and have no shame relying on other experience.

Last edited:
you can look up the ud stomp settings, as there's a preset list available on the web. i've created blocks for clean, lead and swell based on these settings and they all sound great. just use two multidelay blocks (parallel quad). there are some blocks in my bundle for the III, but it's trivial to make your own based on the manual.

you can look up the ud stomp settings, as there's a preset list available on the web. i've created blocks for clean, lead and swell based on these settings and they all sound great. just use two multidelay blocks (parallel quad). there are some blocks in my bundle for the III, but it's trivial to make your own based on the manual.
I also copied the settings from the UD stomp manual for my own purposes. I actually wish the Axe-FX III had an Octal Delay like the Quad Delay so I could keep all those settings in one block :)

Even more reasons why presets for sale are utter BS.

I never bought any presets and agree to some point. But I have used presets from others just to learn from them or used them as a bases for my own creations. I agree that they hardly ever sound right at first. So you have to tweak them a lot to sound right for your guitar and playing style and taste.

When I bought a preset from Moke, there were.... things in there.... wild things.... things I would never have thought of........

This is one of the benefits of buying presets from someone who is better than you at making them. One could even define education as “being exposed to ideas you would be unlikely to have generated by yourself.”

I’m a bit better at making my own presets now. I wasn’t very good at it when I bought those Moke presets. That’s why I bought them.

Back
Top Bottom