Friedman BE-100 and FM3 - Axe-Fx III (emulate Phil X Demo)

teddis

Fractal Fanatic
Oh man......the Crunch that Phil has in this demo is MASSIVE, no other way to describe it, no wonder he shits his pants.....I haven't heard anything better....but I am no Pro musician. I also love the delay only on one channel of the recording...take out an earphone out half way. I think his VH roots shine large.
I am trying to simulate this on my FM3.
Have a listen !!!

The FM3 Friedman Amp options are:
BE V1
BE C45
HB# V1
HBE 2018

Pretty sure I need one of the BE models, C45 ??...but which one approximates this BE-100 demo ? There is a great close up of the tone stack to dial it in.

In "o'clock" positions. I see the following:
Gain 3
Pres 10
Bass 1
Treb 1
Midd 1
Master 10
Fat OFF (he mentions turning this ON of the neck part....)

Is the Gain control Input Drive, NOT Trim on our models? Any for a CAB recommendation....or use stock :)

thanks !

Last edited:
Uhh.. My Axe3 has not made those tones......yet.
This video is inspiring me to blow off working from home and chase this tone. Man, the tone on the full chords and tightness on the bottom end is great!

Uhh.. My Axe3 has not made those tones......yet.
This video is inspiring me to blow off working from home and chase this tone. Man, the tone on the full chords and tightness on the bottom end is great!
No kidding! I also gotta say that Phil's enthusiasm is also contributing to wanting to just play guitar!

Ok.. Just plugged in. My 'Main' preset, a Marshall Plexi-ish preset sounds pretty darned good. I just ran the video through the same monitors and I feel great about my tone now...lol. It's not all that much different than Phil's.

My first listen to the video was through my iphone speakers. Those must have the amp in the room feel or something....lol. I think I need to buy a sh!tload of old iphones and amplify my tone that way.

I'm getting some great Marshall type sounds out of my III with various amps, as good (to my ears) as what I heard in that video, but so far the Friedman amps are sort of eluding me. I just can't seem to get a good setup with them.

Just wondering which of the Amps we have available is closest to this beast...... Can start from there :)

Just wondering which of the Amps we have available is closest to this beast...... Can start from there :)

I thought he was demoing the HBE. The Friedman's sound dark on my FRFR rig. But I do use the pre-amp w/ power modeling off when I run to my DSL 40 FX Loop in. I've seen a lot of video where folks a getting GREAT tones out of the Friedman models. The cab selection is key too. I'm pretty sure he was using v30's. But I saw a video of Dave Friedman saying he liked to pair a v30 withe a greenback. Of course that may just be in the studio, not an actual cab with two different speakers. He was talking with Rick Beato, so in that context I'm guessing the latter is true.

I thought he was demoing the HBE. The Friedman's sound dark on my FRFR rig. But I do use the pre-amp w/ power modeling off when I run to my DSL 40 FX Loop in. I've seen a lot of video where folks a getting GREAT tones out of the Friedman models. The cab selection is key too. I'm pretty sure he was using v30's. But I saw a video of Dave Friedman saying he liked to pair a v30 withe a greenback. Of course that may just be in the studio, not an actual cab with two different speakers. He was talking with Rick Beato, so in that context I'm guessing the latter is true.

I find the Friedmans to be pretty bassy but there are a couple I like which are leaner, the Dirty Shirley 2 and the HBE 2018 model. Still need to reduce the depth control typically.

For cabs, the Fractal 4x12 was shot using Mark Day's cab he uses with the Friedman, and it's a mix of V30 and Greenback. I have been liking the legacy cab mix of #60 and #43 recently. The #60 is Mark Day's 4x12 Greenback with an M160 ribbon mic and the #43 is a 4x12 V30 with an SM57. I've been cutting the lows around 100 Hz and leaving the high end around 10k.

Hey thanks Jarick for the round up on the CABS Mark uses.....I will try then out.
I do agree...that they can be bassy.....I have been reducing the Bass control.....is Depth is a better solution ?
thanks

they actually say to run the bass really high on those amps, for whatever reason. He's using the BE. The HBE isn't a separate amp, just a voicing/gain stage on the BE. It's def not enough gain to be the HBE.

I'm tinkering around and the Friedman BE C45 is pretty close to me...dial down the Depth to 3, the Presence around 4, Bass Middle Treble at 6, Gain at 5, Master at 4. You could add a bit more preamp gain too. I'm using a Thornbucker and he's got a P90 so there's some difference.

Friedman HBE 2018 C45 model, pick your favorite cab, reset channel and tweak for your guitar (kill the verb if you want it tight). I like factory 2 cab 515. Pretty freakin' slammi'

HBE 2018 C45 + Factory#2 515, as you say. Nailed the tone when he picks the Les Paul!

Small adjustments at the Master Volume make a huge difference

I am using a Schecter Solo II Custom with a Suhr Thornbucker on the bridge.

Attachments

• MG 20_03_18.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 126
Back
Top Bottom