Anyone sell all their tube amps?

Sold em all. Have had many great amps throughout the years but at the time I made the decision to be done with the amps I had a Mesa Maverick, Fender Supersonic, Fender Vibro-King & Marshall Mode 4. That had to be over ten years ago & haven’t even considered buying another amp. Not seriously at least. There’s a few that have caught my eye here & there, but the thought of all the inconvenience of it all for such negligible gain, (if there were to be any at all) makes the desire very short lived.

Yes. Mostly because I owed the band for bills when I left, and partially because I was confident a good digital rig would not leave me wanting more. I was correct.

'83 JCM800 2203
Reissue 1965 fender twin
Orange PPC412

Sold both my Mesa Mark V amps about 3 years ago.

I went to my local guitar shop at the weekend (Peach Guitars) and tried out a new Les Paul Standard through a Friedman 50w combo. I bought the guitar and dialled in the Friedman on my Axe FX III when I got home.

What a wonderful world we live in :)

yes, after buying the Axe I sold a bunch of stuff:
  • 3 tube amps,
  • 1 solid-state amp,
  • 2 solid-state combos,
  • 2 cabs 4x12,
  • 2 tube preamps,
  • 1 wah pedal,
  • 2 distortion pedals,
  • 1 overdrive pedal,
  • 1 eq pedal,
  • 1 audio interface,
  • many different replacement tubes (mostly 6l6 and 12ax7).

And I am pretty happy. I'm not going to buy any pedals/amps soon. Maybe I'll buy FM3 if I will gig far away from home. At this moment GAS is feeding only by guitars.

I have a tube head just because I like the engineering and technology that went into developing it. I like what it is as much as what it sounds like. I also like the presentation of the controls and how easy it is to tweak on the fly.

Can I dial in the Axe-Fx to sound and feel every bit as good as all the good sounds in my tube amp I love so much? Yes. And really... I can do it without much issue.

At this point I think an Axe-Fx III with a stereo SS poweramp and a pair of 4x12 cabs will make a guitar sound just about as good as it's possible to make a guitar sound. If you actually need it to be portable, an FM3 and Duncan Powerstage 170 is just about the best sounding solution I can think of.

Last edited:
I’ve had Mesa’s, Fenders and Peavey. All gone. All effects are gone too accept a Klon I have a Hx stomp for small shows but will replace that with an FM3. I love my Axe Fx III.

Sold all amps and all pedals - apart from my King of Tone which I've never even used, just a sentimental keepsake.

Have not missed them once, almost never even watch pedal reviews etc anymore - I'm much more inspired to play now, and actually spend a lot of time buying and selling guitars instead.

For both home and outside use, worse I've ever found is my III sounds as good as the amp - and normally better. I've been lucky to play insanely loud on a couple of occasions back when I had the AX8, and it slayed

I have a solid state Peavey XXL sitting in my studio, not because I love it, it’s simply there for other people to use when they come over and jam. I stopped selling guitar gear years ago because there’s not one piece of gear I’ve sold that I didn’t wish I still had.

I'm keeping my Mark V. It's nice for a sanity check when I can't trust my ears anymore. Plus whenever I upgrade to a new axe fx (most likely the 5 as I usually skip a generation with tech) I'll want to duplicate the Mesa in whatever modeller that ends up being.

Yep. After a year of using Fractal products I sold all my amps and cabs. I didn't touch any of them for that year and they were just collecting dust. They deserved better homes. ;)

Last edited:
Same here sold my Boogie RKII a couple of months back as I hadn't switched it on in over a year. Bought a rather nice Martin acoustic with some of the cash I got from that. I still keep my Boogie MKV35 combo but I must admit I haven't turned that on in a while either. The only time I did turn it on was when I sold a guitar the buyer wanted to play it before he bought it.

Since purchasing my AxeFx III in April 2019, I've sold ALL amps and effects. This is the best sound I've ever had.

Back
Top Bottom