More immediacy?

Can you elaborate on your term immediacy? Are you referring to the dynamics, volume, gain, pick attack, etc.?
Also did you check your global setting to make sure your outputs are set to +4 on the AXE III?

Are the input levels of each unit set properly for the guitar you are using? Running a weak signal into the Axe-FX where it's supposed to be higher can completely ruin your tone.

Can you elaborate on your term immediacy? Are you referring to the dynamics, volume, gain, pick attack, etc.?
Also did you check your global setting to make sure your outputs are set to +4 on the AXE III?

When I play the II the notes seems to jump out of the CLRs more and do so more quickly. The III seems to be a tamed down version by comparison.

Are the input levels of each unit set properly for the guitar you are using? Running a weak signal into the Axe-FX where it's supposed to be higher can completely ruin your tone.

Same guitar, same settings. I am trying to run a single variable experiment as best as possible.

What do you mean by immediacy? Do you mean tightness in the bass? I like to lower sag and add power tube hardness. I know there was a firmware update that reset the power amp hardness to 5; maybe that's different between your Axe II and Axe III. Finally, what amp model are you using? If its a Mesa Mark style amp, lowering the bass and even some of the mids can tighten up the sound a great deal.

What do you mean by immediacy? Do you mean tightness in the bass? I like to lower sag and add power tube hardness. I know there was a firmware update that reset the power amp hardness to 5; maybe that's different between your Axe II and Axe III. Finally, what amp model are you using? If its a Mesa Mark style amp, lowering the bass and even some of the mids can tighten up the sound a great deal.

As I said previously, I have lowered the SAG to as low as it will go before P.A. I have the power tube hardness on 8.5 just as on II.

Fryette 60 More amplifier.

When I play the II the notes seems to jump out of the CLRs more and do so more quickly. The III seems to be a tamed down version by comparison.

I experienced this too when I switched. I suspect the III is more "accurate" with a lot more realistic compression factors, some of which are on by default.

On AMPs I almost always turn down/off: Speaker Compression, Speaker Compliance, Speaker Drive. I play with SAG too which can bring up punch/immediacy. You can also try turning off Preamp Sag in the Advanced tab.

Another option is to use a dynamic compressor for dynamic expansion before or after the amp, perhaps using side chain on input 1.

Last edited:
it's only free if you pirate it

it's 60 bucks for a discounted license, still insanely cheap, please support the dude and pay for your license

Cockos encourages users to purchase a license if they're going to use the software beyond the 60 day trial period; however, the demo will continue to function without restriction in Evaluation Mode.

Do any of the parameters, other than the SAG control, assist in creating a greater sense of immediacy? I want the sound to feel as though it is jumping out more than I have been able to find in the III.

Speaker page in the amp block: turn speaker compliance and speaker compression to zero. make sure output compression is at zero in the amp dynamics page also.

I like notes to bloom, swell and explode :) so I do opposite of what I just said above. I thought pick attack was more immediate in fw12.03.

I experienced this too when I switched. I suspect the III is more "accurate" with a lot more realistic compression factors, some of which are on by default.

This. Coming from an AX8, at first I thought I was experiencing what the OP is experiencing. However, after auditioning a few models of amps that I’ve actually owned, the Mesa Boogie Mark IV for example, I realized that what I was “feeling” was a closer representation of the real amp.

Speaker impedance curves may play a role here. The newer curves sound more organic and detailed to me, but I can see how the difference might be perceived as less immediacy. Might be worth dialing in the same impedance curve as you're using on the II.

I realized that what I was “feeling” was a closer representation of the real amp.
The newer curves sound more organic and detailed to me

Yeah, some of us coming from less realistic modelers (even prior FAS models) can get used to an almost DI feel. What I've started to hear and feel with so many of the amps now with the III is a vibrancy and organicness, especially with 12.03.

Back
Top Bottom