FM3 General Discussion Thread

My advice to guitar beginners is to start on acoustic. Especially kids and teens. If you start them out on electric, the first thing they want to do is dial up a bunch of buzzy distortion and effects. God help you if there's a whammy bar involved.

Much better to learn how to play a few notes and chords on a distraction-free acoustic first.
Completely disagree, at 13 the main reason I wanted to play guitar was exactly this.

Especially the "whammy bar," which 90% of my ESP guitars are Original Floyd Rose equipped, and I use it at every opportunity.

IMO each player has to learn by playing the type of stuff they are interested in, so handing a 6 string acoustic to a 13 year old wanting to djent isn't going to inspire him much.

No digital device will be good for ten years.

I’ll give you the advice I would have liked to receive when I started. Get an used amp that will keep the value.

tell us which band do you like and we’ll tell you which amp to buy

This just is not true.

I have multiple digital devices pushing 25 years and still doing fine.

My favorite is an ADA MP-2 midi tube preamp. Bought it in 1993.

Also have a bunch of other rack gear from the 80s that's working exactly as it did the day I bought it.

My Axe-Fx II is 7 years old now and I'm pretty sure it's not going to suddenly stop sounding fantastic 3 years from now.

you don’t read it you but you know he wants it
i don't know that, honestly. sounded like he wanted something that sounds good while he has it so it's worth the expense of buying something in general.

i never buy something to sell later. i buy it to use now. i know some buy things for resale value, but they're always compromising the way they use it. i buy gig gear to gig. it gets scratched. it gets worn. i use the heck out of it to get my money's worth while i have it. the moment you buy something, the resale value goes down. i've done enough craigslist to figure out if it's worth babying or not. just my approach.

beginner of guitar.
I just want to spend the money on something that is good for, say the next ten years.

FM3 will be bleeding-edge modelling algorithms with top of the line AD/DA, at a price point below that of one single good amplifier, more durable than a ThinkPad, ten years from now they'll be like Pod beans that actually sound good. "Hey remember in 2020 when FAS went insane and put all of their modelling into a little dual pedal and sold it for a grand..." can't beat it with a stick

Soooo, It's been nearly a year since it was announced. Is there any clear ETA of these products landing the shelves? (even more so for those waiting in Europe).

He wants a good resell value, from the point of view digital devices aren’t good
Go try and find vintage electronics in perfect shape and working for cheap. I don’t think you understand the collector market very well. Everything is worth something over a long enough time span.

Soooo, It's been nearly a year since it was announced. Is there any clear ETA of these products landing the shelves? (even more so for those waiting in Europe).

There is no ETA. I don't think we'll know until it actually is launched. Perhaps then you'll have an indication regarding ETAs for Europe.

My advice to guitar beginners is to start on acoustic. Especially kids and teens. If you start them out on electric, the first thing they want to do is dial up a bunch of buzzy distortion and effects. God help you if there's a whammy bar involved.

Much better to learn how to play a few notes and chords on a distraction-free acoustic first.
IMHO, that's the best way of making them lose interest very quickly. When I started out and enrolled in music school, we HAD to take (and pass) a year of solfège, sight)reading and -singing before we could even choose an instrument to play. If you wanted to play guitar, classical was the (only) way to go. I stuck with it and am glad I did, but I think I would have progressed faster - and certainly enjoyed it more - if I could have started out on a electric.

Just gigged friday night my 4CM setup with the Axe-Fx II + MFC-101 again. I love everything that processor if it weren't for the audio blurp/gap when switching presets, and would be happy if it's the last time I have to endure.

I really really hope the scene midi block solves this for me as for what I do I require seamless channel + effects switching... I already know everything else will be amazing.

Come on guys, you're customers are eagerly waiting!

Adding an FC-6 gets you FOUR extra switch jacks and FOUR extra pedal jacks!
And 6 extra LED-indicated buttons.... ;)

You can also torture an expression pedal into giving you three sounds on one device, with clean, smooth transitions between them....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom