I'm asking for help

If you are having to turn the amp level DOWN by so much then i suggest something is boosting your axe fx 2 signal way to much. The noise in your recording also suggests this. Maybe you have your Global output level set way too high! should be on 0 (not +10 or -10 etc). You also have your output knob on the front panel, this can really boost the signal. keep it low but dont adjust the preset level too much. Put it on -11 like mine and work through the stages to the scarlet.

Your scarlette will have input gain knobs, Rather than turning down the preset (as you have) you should set the input gain of the scarlet to accommodate the signal.

If you are having to turn the amp level DOWN by so much then i suggest something is boosting your axe fx 2 signal way to much. The noise in your recording also suggests this. Maybe you have your Global output level set way too high! should be on 0 (not +10 or -10 etc). You also have your output knob on the front panel, this can really boost the signal. keep it low but dont adjust the preset level too much. Put it on -11 like mine and work through the stages to the scarlet.

Your scarlette will have input gain knobs, Rather than turning down the preset (as you have) you should set the input gain of the scarlet to accommodate the signal.
Agreed. Gain and amp level seem low for that sort of sound. Use the VU meter (last page of the main screen) to level the amp at the mid line, and adjust your Scarlett input lower.

How high is the physical Out 1 knob on the front panel of the axe?

Reactions: NMG
Here is my sample recording of the stock preset. I record using a digital coax so there is nothing in my interface to adjust the gain as it enters the device

The global output level it set at -3 and my axe knob is very low as well. The only reason I turn down the amp level is because if I don't then I'll still be clipping on my Scarlett even if it's turned down all the way.

Agreed. Gain and amp level seem low for that sort of sound. Use the VU meter (last page of the main screen) to level the amp at the mid line, and adjust your Scarlett input lower.

How high is the physical Out 1 knob on the front panel of the axe?

Midline as in 0?

Daniel, here is mine. Note: mine is on output 2 as i needed to drop a FXloop block to get it into my interface via the coax

Attachments

• IMG_5258.jpg
    IMG_5258.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
Midline as in 0?
Yes the 0 mark which is near the middle of the horizontal VU meter.

See if you can change the Scarlett input from Mic to Line. You shouldn’t have to turn the axe knob so low. I think this is done via computer control panel they provide.

Reactions: NMG
I think using a 1/4 inch cable instead of an XLR should lower the output a decent amount and should clip less. You don't wanna engage the Scarlett mic pres when you're not using a microphone.

Yes the 0 mark which is near the middle of the horizontal VU meter.

See if you can change the Scarlett input from Mic to Line. You shouldn’t have to turn the axe knob so low. I think this is done via computer control panel they provide.

I have the VU down to 0, out the axe up to 65, but it still sounds the same. It's on line. It's been on line. The other option is instrument.

I think using a 1/4 inch cable instead of an XLR should lower the output a decent amount and should clip less. You don't wanna engage the Scarlett mic pres when you're not using a microphone.

What do you mean "scarlett mic pres"? There is a line and instrument switch which I have switched to line, and a 48v button which is off. I've tried using a 1/4 which does lower the output but doesn't change the sound quality.

Here is my sample recording of the stock preset. I record using a digital coax so there is nothing in my interface to adjust the gain as it enters the device

What do you mean digital coax exactly? what does that look like from you axe fx unit?

What do you mean "scarlett mic pres"? There is a line and instrument switch which I have switched to line, and a 48v button which is off. I've tried using a 1/4 which does lower the output but doesn't change the sound quality.

Line and Instrument is only gonna work with 1/4 inch cables. If you're using an XLR it will automatically boost the input because it thinks you're plugging in a mic which engages the mic preamp.

Have you ever tried direct to the speakers just as a test? With what you’re now describing maybe no difference but worth a try.

Reactions: JTI
Have you ever tried direct to the speakers just as a test? With what you’re now describing maybe no difference but worth a try.
This. I want to say I've read a number of negative things on the scarlett stuff. It could be my imagination as well.

Back
Top Bottom