I'm asking for help

Reset System Parameters in the Utility menu
Update to Ares 2.0.
Create a new preset from scratch with just an amp and cab. Try a Friedman HBE or Friedman BE with a 4x12 rumble cab (or cab of your choice). The cab you choose is half the sound.
Make sure the Scarlett and how it's connected or set is not the problem.

Last edited:
Try bypassing the scarlet and see if the problem is there. Use the usb direct into your computer. Also try a different guitar. Sounds like it may be out of tune or the intonation could be off as well. You can use the noise gate to clean up some of that noise. There doesn't sound like you are using enough gain either. Try changing MV and tone location in the pre amp and power amp blocks. Turn down crunch and harmonics to clean things up. Turn drive up and master volume down on the basic page. I think it's the scarlet and the guitar to be honest.

Reset System Parameters in the Utility menu
Update to Ares 2.0.
Create a new preset from scratch with just an amp and cab. Try a Friedman HBE or Friedman BE with a 4x12 rumble cab (or cab of your choice). The cab you choose is half the sound.
Make sure the Scarlett and how it's connected or set is not the problem.

Why would updating help? It's been like this since I got it. Is THIS the one update that is good? I'd reset many the parameters many times. I've already tried bypassing my Scarlett. it's not the problem.

Try bypassing the scarlet and see if the problem is there. Use the usb direct into your computer. Also try a different guitar. Sounds like it may be out of tune or the intonation could be off as well. You can use the noise gate to clean up some of that noise. There doesn't sound like you are using enough gain either. Try changing MV and tone location in the pre amp and power amp blocks. Turn down crunch and harmonics to clean things up. Turn drive up and master volume down on the basic page. I think it's the scarlet and the guitar to be honest.
I've already bypassed the Scarlett. I've already tried different guitars. Also, the one in the recording has been intonated professionally recently. The noise gate doesn't clean up noise during played notes, only in between, which isn't the problem. It's not the scarlet or guitar.

Apologies in advance if this has all been covered as I didn't go through the entire post history in detail, but if you have ruled out the guitar, cables, interface, monitoring device(s), EMI, tried different outputs (including headphones), and different patches, and the problem is still persistent, maybe try shutting off the noise gate altogether and record just the offending static. Perhaps it might give someone a clue to a cause.

Why would updating help? It's been like this since I got it. Is THIS the one update that is good? I'd reset many the parameters many times. I've already tried bypassing my Scarlett. it's not the problem.

This is definitely an update that is a little different and good, and it may get you a little closer to your goal tone - also helpful to have everyone on the same FW page...

Apologies in advance if this has all been covered as I didn't go through the entire post history in detail, but if you have ruled out the guitar, cables, interface, monitoring device(s), EMI, tried different outputs (including headphones), and different patches, and the problem is still persistent, maybe try shutting off the noise gate altogether and record just the offending static. Perhaps it might give someone a clue to a cause.
I wasn't using a noise gate :/

Daniel, I have read through this entire thread. It seems that no matter what anyone suggests you discount their suggestions and don't try them. The Axe FXIIXL+ sounds great as hundreds here know. You already have all the info in this thread you need, if you would just act on it.

It might be best, if you haven't already done this, is to be sure you have the right IR cab before you start tweaking. some say that the cab or IR has the greatest impact on the tone. Select a cab from those available that gets you closest to your tone, before you go on to tweak the amp settings. Generally from what i heard - roll back low end - tighten low end (can reduce master) - condition (brighten slightly) with pre. EQ. - find 'that' IR that makes it work. Basically the same things a tube amp needs to sound 'good'.

The general complaint from Daniel is regarding the extreme noise on his recording that he says is also there from the headphones output. He had to set the amp level to -23 in order that it didn’t clip his interface. Something is seriously up with his unit I think. You would have seen that I’ve posted a clip using the same guitar model and same preset as his recording and the noise is not apparent on mine. I think the unit needs checking by a fractal engineer

The general complaint from Daniel is regarding the extreme noise on his recording that he says is also there from the headphones output. He had to set the amp level to -23 in order that it didn’t clip his interface. Something is seriously up with his unit I think. You would have seen that I’ve posted a clip using the same guitar model and same preset as his recording and the noise is not apparent on mine. I think the unit needs checking by a fractal engineer
It’s either the interface forcing Mic level when it should be line level, or the channels are too high on the interface.

He also stated direct to speakers had no improvement. It’s really hard to tell what’s going on without being there.

Reactions: NMG
I wish I had info Daniel, I'm in the same exact boat. My distorted sound is really bad. I'm using two 1/4" cables from the unbalanced outs into two inputs on the back of my focusrite. Cleans sound decent, distortion sounds weak, like it has a "blown tube" or something.

I wish I had info Daniel, I'm in the same exact boat. My distorted sound is really bad. I'm using two 1/4" cables from the unbalanced outs into two inputs on the back of my focusrite. Cleans sound decent, distortion sounds weak, like it has a "blown tube" or something.
I've been wondering if it's my interface, but it still sounds bad using headphones direct. Gotta be a global parameter or something.
I also appreciate your guys input on this thread, very freakin cool!! 🤘🏼

@Jadusdrums check that your power amp modeling and cab modeling are on. My take on headphones is unless you have a really good quality set of headphones, the presets don’t sound good through them. If you have some audio examples/presets you can share do so, it will be much easier to help you.

Daniel Allen: Can you share your 'problem preset' on Fractal Axechange (and link to it here on the forum) so we can load it in AXE-FX ourselves and check for anomalies in settings? If the preset turns out fine the problem is elsewhere. (Global settings, guitar or recording hardware).

Last edited:
@Jadusdrums check that your power amp modeling and cab modeling are on. My take on headphones is unless you have a really good quality set of headphones, the presets don’t sound good through them. If you have some audio examples/presets you can share do so, it will be much easier to help you.
Thanks, will do. I'll check those when I get a chance. I'm using Beyer Dynamic DT770's, great sounding headphones. I'm using presets for the most part. I've created a clean with delay that I'm stoked with. My distorted samples sound pretty much the same as Daniels. I've tried a different guitar and cables. Once I get a chance I'll check settings. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom