Dweezil & AX8

The last time I saw Dweezil live was on the anniversary of Zappa's "One Size Fits All" release at the Berklee Performance Center (Boston). They played the whole album. It was by far the finest display of musicianship I have ever seen!

This is so great, about 7 years ago I saw Dweezil here in NYC. I thought this was one of the best guitar tones I've ever heard live, and as I searched the stage for amps I saw 2 Fractals and was floored. That was the moment I realized the technology has caught up, that was the moment I wanted a Fractal. I finally just this year got the AX8 and a QSC monitor and love it

498155D4-FA4F-4DF6-91A5-478AC3377A17.jpeg
Friday night backstage at Experience Hendrix...DZ is still rocking his AXE FX II rig with all those cool guitars..
(Full disclosure..I wasn’t backstage this time ..though in the past I have had that honor and also to sorta perform with Zappa Plays Zappa ..this was a selfie taken by Mutual friend Joe G...but it was quite a Hendrix lineup this year ..
With Joe Satriani added to the mix of usual suspects (Zakk, DZ, Doyle, EJ, Etc.....)

I'd love to see Dweezil. I wonder if he'll come to Europe.

And last days I'm gassing for an SG. I thought I was cured; No gas since the AX8, but...

I'd love to see Dweezil. I wonder if he'll come to Europe.

And last days I'm gassing for an SG. I thought I was cured; No gas since the AX8, but...
He usually tours extensively in Europe, but he hasn’t released any tour dates after the Hendrix tour......

....Ive chosen to share this precious moment with y'all , captured from my iPhone from Halloween at the Beacon 2013, when Dweezil first premiered Watermelon with his band (I have soundcheck footage of the rehearsal as well, but I shan't be sharing that) ..the song has had very heavy associations with Frank's memory in the Zappa family, making it emotionally difficult for DZ to perform it live. which he finally did for the first time that night, with his mother Gail in extremely rare attendance with sister Diva... believe me when I tell ya there were few dry eyes in the house or on stage...still aren't years later.. I hope and pray that the family dysfunction somehow manages to resolve peacefully..................

x2w8zFZ.jpg

Anyone want to spill the beans on how he's getting that acoustic/electric tone on "Watermelon in Easter Hay"? I didn't see a piezo or synth pickup on his guitar so I'm assuming he's blending in an acoustic IR .

Years ago (before the Axe-Fx) I used to do WIEH on my Mesa/Boogie Mark IV rig playing a Carvin DC-127 guitar. That guitar in addition to coil tap switches also had a pick-up phase switch (which IIRC FZ also had on his LP). When using both humbuckers at the same time with the phase switch set to 'out of phase' it would give that perfect WIEH tone whereby the tone got glassy clean with very little bottom end EXACTLY like FZ got on the record.

I saw Dweezil in Perth this week; I expected to be impressed but the whole band exceeded my expectations. His playing is on another level and I was very surprised to see him pulling it all off with just an AX8 and a pair of QSC active speakers. In short, one of the best live tones I've ever heard.

Anyone want to spill the beans on how he's getting that acoustic/electric tone on "Watermelon in Easter Hay"? I didn't see a piezo or synth pickup on his guitar so I'm assuming he's blending in an acoustic IR .

My wife photographed the show too, great night all around

DweezilZappa-Astor-27.2.18-3.jpg
Leon, you can ask Dweezil about WIEH when WE ARE ALL IN THE SAME ROOM AT AXEFEST!!!?????!!????

Back
Top Bottom