Dweezil & AX8

Axe-Master
I saw Dweezil in Perth this week; I expected to be impressed but the whole band exceeded my expectations. His playing is on another level and I was very surprised to see him pulling it all off with just an AX8 and a pair of QSC active speakers. In short, one of the best live tones I've ever heard.

Anyone want to spill the beans on how he's getting that acoustic/electric tone on "Watermelon in Easter Hay"? I didn't see a piezo or synth pickup on his guitar so I'm assuming he's blending in an acoustic IR .

My wife photographed the show too, great night all around

DweezilZappa-Astor-27.2.18-3.jpg

Anyone want to spill the beans on how he's getting that acoustic/electric tone on "Watermelon in Easter Hay"? I didn't see a piezo or synth pickup on his guitar so I'm assuming he's blending in an acoustic IR .
I love that tone he uses so much. Did he play the white Strat or the SG for Watermelon? I was using a Band Commander and some compression to cop a similar tone to the one he had in the video where he plays it and starts crying mid-song. Such a moment!

http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4556

DweezilZappa-Astor-27.2.18-3.jpg
Great photo!

Awesome Leon , glad you had the opportunity to see DZ and his amazing rocking little combo, and thanks for the confirmation; that Dweezil is indeed touring the AX8 as he told me was going to try it I, wasn’t sure he (and the AX8 ) had enough balls to pull it off after years of him touring dual AXE FXs in a stereo config plus his monsterous pedalboard but of course he could, and did. (With a little help from his FAS friends, I presume )
@Admin M@ shared the fact on another thread recently that DZ intends to use 2 AXE FX III s Inthe future.....that will be interesting.

I’ve seen the Dweezil multiple times and I am quite a super fan at this point! I took his master class guitar lessons in advance of the show here in Atlanta one year and it was a great chance to meet him personally and ask lots of questions. He is a very gracious very humble guy and a great great guitar player.

I’ve seen the Dweezil multiple times and I am quite a super fan at this point! I took his master class guitar lessons in advance of the show here in Atlanta one year and it was a great chance to meet him personally and ask lots of questions. He is a very gracious very humble guy and a great great guitar player.

My favourite part was him signing autographs and hanging out after the show, right off the stage . I bet those lessons would have been fun!

The two times I attended Dweezil’s 5 day music camp in the Catskills 6 years ago led to many friendships and contacts, not the least resultof which was my introduction to the wonderful world of Fractal Audio....

Deeezil is such a bad ass. Been a fan of his since his first solo album Having a Bad Day back in the middle to late 80’s. This song still cracks me up.

....Ive chosen to share this precious moment with y'all , captured from my iPhone from Halloween at the Beacon 2013, when Dweezil first premiered Watermelon with his band (I have soundcheck footage of the rehearsal as well, but I shan't be sharing that) ..the song has had very heavy associations with Frank's memory in the Zappa family, making it emotionally difficult for DZ to perform it live. which he finally did for the first time that night, with his mother Gail in extremely rare attendance with sister Diva... believe me when I tell ya there were few dry eyes in the house or on stage...still aren't years later.. I hope and pray that the family dysfunction somehow manages to resolve peacefully..................

Last edited:
I saw Dweezil in Perth this week; I expected to be impressed but the whole band exceeded my expectations. His playing is on another level and I was very surprised to see him pulling it all off with just an AX8 and a pair of QSC active speakers. In short, one of the best live tones I've ever heard.

Was he playing Frank's music? Never been much of fan of Franks music, but Dweezil is an amazing guitarist. Just checked and he's playing a small theatre in Detroit in May, so I'll prob check it out.

Thanks for the heads up!

Was he playing Frank's music? Never been much of fan of Franks music, but Dweezil is an amazing guitarist. Just checked and he's playing a small theatre in Detroit in May, so I'll prob check it out.

Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah Frank's stuff. lot's of stuff from One Size Fits All so it was more towards the rock end of the spectrum. Awesome band!

Back
Top Bottom