Are these Axe-Fx 2 hardware limitations?

dude you'd get a good $1500 for your II right now, easy, that's a FAS update cost of like $750 to your wallet. You can't even barely get one good tube amp for $750.

NES, Super NES, N64.... it's new technology, new hardware, new code

But now that the III is out, how much longer do you think the AX-8?

I would bet it's got less than 6 months.

BTW, I just got an AX-8 for Christmas and I'm ok with something better replacing it soon.
Mat b is the form master you guys and if you want something and he says it’s never going to happen then it’s never going to so you may as well not be yourself and have your own ideas anymore and also don’t suggest anything he doesn’t agree with without asking him first what he thinks

Mat b is the form master you guys and if you want something and he says it’s never going to happen then it’s never going to so you may as well not be yourself and have your own ideas anymore and also don’t suggest anything he doesn’t agree with without asking him first what he thinks
please stop attacking other forum members like this. this is a discussion forum. he is discussing it. you are attacking him due to that discussion.

you've already had 2 closed threads in the last few hours, in addition to another closed thread on this same exact topic.

you keep getting the same answer from asking the same question, yet you keep going. you are being argumentative and not listening to anyone. then posting a smart alec reply to FractalAudio... i don't know man.

please stop attacking other forum members like this. this is a discussion forum. he is discussing it. you are attacking him due to that discussion.

you've already had 2 closed threads in the last few hours, in addition to another closed thread on this same exact topic.

you keep getting the same answer from asking the same question, yet you keep going. you are being argumentative and not listening to anyone. then posting a smart alec reply to FractalAudio... i don't know man.
I know you don’t man

I bought my xl+, just half a year before the 3 for the full price!
I had many updates in mind, and many years before the next generation would come out as well. Cliff even stated that the two would not be absolete for the next few years.
Its a shame fas just dropped it when they had the chance!

I had many updates in mind, and many years before the next generation would come out as well. Cliff even stated that the two would not be absolete for the next few years.
Thats where I’m coming from too I got mine just a year before this happened and that’s why I feel like it could’ve be equal at least the amp modeling none of the effects or analyzer
Or input out put levels just equallity of the modeling
Fractal was the first to make modeling that sounded right and everything with the fractal name should be the highest quality fractal amp modeling that can be on it

This discussion was had elsewhere already. The last documented comment by a Fractal employee regarding the lifespan of the Axe Fx II and a potential replacement not being worked on yet was more than 2 years before the Axe Fx III was announced.

As if the Axe Fx II will die, if it doesn´t receive firmware updates ...
Focus on what you have and if you really want and need the 3, then buy it.

At first when I heard about the 3 I was like: "Ohh Fck!", but after a while I noticed that when no more updates are expected, I can focus on building and tweaking my presets. And it is still and will always be an amazing device.
Maybe in the future I will get a 3 or 3XL or 4 or whatever... but right now I could not be happier with the 2.

Agreed, i'm happy with my xl, but paid full price at g66. I would expect some more updates for this price, it should be part of the fun no?

Also, if i knew the three was coming out, i would have wait to buy a used two. The value of the two dropped a lot since the three came out.

Agreed, i'm happy with my xl, but paid full price at g66. I would expect some more updates for this price, it should be part of the fun no?

Also, if i knew the three was coming out, i would have wait to buy a used two. The value of the two dropped a lot since the three came out.

OK, I am a former Axe Fx Standard owner and bought my Axe FX II Mark 1 the day it was available. So that is different for me.

I see this logic thrown around a lot, here's the flaw. You paid 2500$ (Or whatever, number is irrelevant) and only got three firmware updates before the end, you're upset about that because you feel like firmware updates are part of the fractal experience. So you feel like you should have either paid less and still not had firmware updates, or paid full and had x years of firmware updates. So where do the updates scale into the cost? By that logic someone who bought their xl+ the day it came out should have paid three or four times as much?

You paid full price and you did get the same 6 or whatever years of firmware updates for free that a day 1 buyer got, you just didn't go through the experience of updating release by release... Doesn't mean the software is any less valuable.

All the update threads are archived and you can find previous versions of the firmware as well. Just take the next few years on your own and update your firmware month by month if it's the update experience you're after.

I do get where you're coming from, I really do, I just also think that the sentiment/logic is fatally flawed.

This tpj character seems like a troll. The (childish) response to cliff implies that he would pay the full price of the 3 to get a firmware update for the 2? Ok.

Firmware updates are a mixed blessing. While they can add new features and improve the accuracy of amp models they can also require to tweak many if not all of your presets to make them sound "good" again.

Also, while it's rare and often relatively benign, new firmware can also introduce new bugs.

I've been a Fractal owner for 11 years now. I started with the Ultra, didn't update the firmware for quite a few years and I was happy as a clam (ignorance can be bliss). I didn't even visit this forum for a long time just to avoid the desire for new firmware.

2 years ago I upgraded to the XL II + because I was ready to. There have been a few firmware updates in that time and they're been great though we almost lost the beloved HBE V1 model.

Now for Christmas I received an AX-8 which will probably never receive another firmware update and I'm OK with that. I could have waited for the iteration of the AX-8 but that generation of hardware fulfills my needs so I'm happy with that.

All I'm saying is it's very easy to get caught up in the "I want the latest and greatest" because that's what drives our economy but it can be avoided if you choose too. Some of the most amazing recordings ever made were created with gear that would be considered "obsolete" if viewed through the sames lens. Go figure. ;)

One thing I learned owning a successful retail business for 15+ years, with 1000’s of customers - you can’t please them all. We aimed to though, but there’s always a few that are never happy and always will be. We had a flagship product as well and guess what? it changed over time. It doesn’t make the original purchase of a previous version/product any less valuable. Be happy for what you bought in the state it was at the time you bought it. Anything extra is bonus(fw updates). Why would a store tell you a new product is coming when they are trying to sell what they already have everyday? At some point the clock ticks and you release a new product. That doesn’t mean you as a store should kill your sales today because you are working o a new product.
I thought this was common sense? What’s with the entitlement sentiment? Jeeesh. And I have many versions of fractal’s stuff (II, MFC. AX8, FX8, III, and FC-12 in wait). If you can’t afford upgrading to a new unit (by another purchase or sell old first) then perhaps the product isn’t for you... dunno.

Look at it this way: you got all those years of previous updates without having to wait for them.

Is the value getting the new update, or having them?

I’d say having them.

If you want to simulate it, load version 1.xx, then download and update each firmware since the beginning. It will probably take you many hours to do, especially if you stop and read each release note as well as explore each one a bit. You’ll eventually get to the current version.

Ha, totally happy with the II on FW 9.04 and effectively not motivated for retweaking parches to FW Q10. Pls note that before Quantum, there were 19 other FW which means close to 30 FW versions....frankly; I skipped quite a few of these as well as their beta versions; just to keep time to play guitar.

Anyway; you still could install 9.04....and stock FW10 so ro keep it as the "ultimate surprise" at a latter time...ah ah. According to recent speculations in rhis thread we might augment the II retail value by 20% just by downgrading a few FW versions....blah blah blah...

Keep on rocking; will backup all and give Q10 a try though !

Back
Top Bottom