Rack Suggestions for Axe-Fx III

I bought a custom built rack from these guys and it's been perfect since day 1...and have the FX III, a 1U Fuhrman power conditioner and a Behringer mixer in it now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Modern-Studio-Rack-Case-4U-19-12-Depth-Guitar-Eleven-Rack-Axe-FX-Amp-Case/221569330070?_trkparms=aid=444000&algo=SOI.DEFAULT&ao=1&asc=52476&meid=2593b2d5db5345eca50a6d42700517b0&pid=100752&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=172478975019&itm=221569330070&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

They will make it to any configuration.

I have spring loaded side handles instead of the top handle...and it's 14" deep I believe.
Ordered one of these... looks nice for general home use. Side handle so that I can have a flat top to put my lava lamp up there..lol.
It's not something I would use for traveling or transportation out of the house. Just classy in house protection from scratches

I went with this one from Road Cases USA.

https://www.roadcasesusa.com/6-space-6u-12-deep-3-8-ply-ata-effects-rack-case-closeout/

However, the pictures are wrong and the handles are located on the sides, not the front face. I used this same company for the II previously, and it lasted well for the two years I ran that setup. Plus, the price was very good in my opinion.

Now if I was touring seriously, I would invest in a shock mount I think, but as I just gig around town a couple times a month, this works perfectly for me.

I had a nice...but heavy rack for my Axe-Fx II.
For my III i just use a 3 unit shallow Rockbag RB 24310 B.
Soooo much easier to carry around :)

Another vote for the 6U SKB Shallow Rack. Now I just need to figure out what to put in the top slot...

View attachment 48901
In the top rack space i would put a vented plate, and behind that a 12" Blue strip LED. facing downwards so it glows through. A little bling, & ventilation. The LED's don't even get warm.

This is an Ebay pic i came across. I think the light is too bright, but its the right color for the axe-fx III

s-l1600.jpg

In the top rack space i would put a vented plate, and behind that a 12" Blue strip LED. facing downwards so it glows through. A little bling, & ventilation. The LED's don't even get warm.

This is an Ebay pic i came across. I think the light is too bright, but its the right color for the axe-fx III

s-l1600.jpg
I put my Furman above the axe.. It has two built in protracting lights...helps me see when the light are low... heat in vented out the back...this is just to add some LED

I got the SKB 3U, fits perfectly and looks great.

I'm thinking about getting the same product. Before doing so could you confirm the following:

• That's the SKB 1SKB-R3S Roto-Molded Shallow Rack Case, correct?
  • At the front, are you able to close the lid without any issues due to the handles?
  • At the back, it doesn't seem you've screwed the Axe FX III to the rack. Is that not possible?
  • If it's not possible, isn't the Axe FX III too unsecured and loose when you put both lids and move around with it?

Thanks.

I'm thinking about getting the same product. Before doing so could you confirm the following:

• That's the SKB 1SKB-R3S Roto-Molded Shallow Rack Case, correct?
  • At the front, are you able to close the lid without any issues due to the handles?
  • At the back, it doesn't seem you've screwed the Axe FX III to the rack. Is that not possible?
  • If it's not possible, isn't the Axe FX III too unsecured and loose when you put both lids and move around with it?

Thanks.
If there's an issue with closing the lid, it's because of the bezel thickness, not the handles.

Also, it's rare for any rack-mounted audio gear to screw in from the back. The Axe-Fx is no exception.

If there's an issue with closing the lid, it's because of the bezel thickness, not the handles.

Also, it's rare for any rack-mounted audio gear to screw in from the back. The Axe-Fx is no exception.

Rex thanks for your response, I just saw your previous posts about the minor case surgery required. Now, between my OCD and the fact that I'm paying top dollar for audio equipment and for a rack, I'd expect no surgery at all so I'm back to square one. So which 3U shallow cases fits the Axe FX perfectly so far? I need one with lids and handles to travel around. Thanks.

Rex thanks for your response, I just saw your previous posts about the minor case surgery required. Now, between my OCD and the fact that I'm paying top dollar for audio equipment and for a rack, I'd expect no surgery at all so I'm back to square one. So which 3U shallow cases fits the Axe FX perfectly so far? I need one with lids and handles to travel around. Thanks.
The truth is that I don't have much of an answer for you. I found the SKB roto rack for cheap, did the surgery, and never looked back.

I just did a quick measure of my older non-roto SKB racks, and it looks like they should fit with no problem, though I didn't disassemble any of them to prove it. :) I would also expect most traditional road-style racks to work.

Rex, thanks for your response. I'm new here and you've proven what I've heard about how helpful this community is. I'll take my chances and get that case since you might have an older version (when did you purchase it?) and saw another thread on which two users, yek and ipressthebutton, say that they didn't need to cut the inner left and right lips of the lid to close it. Again, thanks.

Rex, thanks for your response. I'm new here and you've proven what I've heard about how helpful this community is. I'll take my chances and get that case since you might have an older version (when did you purchase it?) and saw another thread on which two users, yek and ipressthebutton, say that they didn't need to cut the inner left and right lips of the lid to close it. Again, thanks.
I bought mine last summer. But I bought it used, and it already had quite a few miles on it. The newer ones have been redesigned. Mine looks like this...

SKB-R4%20lg.jpg

I have the Gator shallow case (6u) and it works great in regards to the lids.

@Rex Oh you have the older version, well that explains why you had to do a minor surgery while the other users reported no issues. I guess they have the new redesigned ones.

@unix-guy Thank you! I'll consider that one as option B, the 3U though. Design wise I like more the new SKB cases.

Ok, so the SKB 6U Shallow showed up and I assembled it tonight. It fits absolutely perfect. I pandered between the Gator models as well as the more hardy road cases. I had a 16U ASCase rig back in the day that took the whole band to load in and out... F that... I was also torn on getting a larger case for a drawer and a wireless and I decided "screw it" and stayed agile with the minimalist route. This SKB is light and looks great. There is enough room in the back of the rig to stuff your cords. I also found a few short 1' power cables to keep it clean in the back. Couldn't be more pleased.View attachment 48780 View attachment 48781 View attachment 48782 View attachment 48783

[

Buddy, is your rack the 1skb-r6s SKB that is 10.5 "deep?

Does anyone have an opinion on the OSP cases? Was looking at a 4U 10 inch or 14 inch version of this one: http://a.co/d/bEtOjEY
A good friend of mine back in Dallas bought one of their foam shock-mount amp racks probably well over a decade ago at this point. AFAIK, it hasn't given him any issues. However I haven't worked with his gear in a long time, so I'm not sure I'd know if he'd moved on to something else.

Back
Top Bottom