Axe-Fx III Firmware 1.19 Public Beta

Very cool so that preset you posted that you can use for your Drop zone type pedal in front of amp.correct ?

I tried before and after amp and sounds better in front to me. My little powered speaker here in the living room actually gives up as I keep going lower and the quality of the pitch drop is still great :)

I tried before and after amp and sounds better in front to me. My little powered speaker here in the living room actually gives up as I keep going lower and the quality of the pitch drop is still great :)
I recommend before. If you put after the amp you shift all the added harmonics from the distortion. One thing the Axe-Fx can do is put the pitch shift between the amp and cab.

The three locations all have different sounds. Before amp, between amp and cab and after cab. Depends on what you're trying to achieve.

I have a cello patch that's basically the violin patch tuned down an octave with voice levels tweaked. Maybe my imagination but it sounds better also.?

All working fine here. I know it's not new to this FW but I'd missed that Quad Detune was a feature and it's insane!

Nice to see the pitch shifter getting some focus, I think a lot of customers will appreciate it! Personally hoping I can take 'the Drop' pedal off my Christmas wish list if this goes well, I really don't want any outboard gear other than a foot controller if possible. Thanks FAS!

Nice to see the pitch shifter getting some focus, I think a lot of customers will appreciate it! Personally hoping I can take 'the Drop' pedal off my Christmas wish list if this goes well, I really don't want any outboard gear other than a foot controller if possible. Thanks FAS!
Damn, I just bought another Drop pedal!

Okay, after more time playing around with 1.19, in my (completely unscientific), this update has taken the Pitch Shifter from "close enough to a Drop that it's not worth keeping a Drop around, although not -quite- as good" to "better than the Drop" - nice work Fractal!

Good to hear. I thought about buying one to compare but never got around to it.

Has the tone of the Pitch shifter changed or only the latency? I hope it sounds closer to Digitech whammy tone-wise, it sounded a bit thin before. Is there an improvement in this area?

Has the tone of the Pitch shifter changed or only the latency? I hope it sounds closer to Digitech whammy tone-wise, it sounded a bit thin before. Is there an improvement in this area?
I think there's a high cut filter at the output of the Digitech whammy, a couple years ago I tried to match it to the pitch block of the axe II and setting the high cut around 5-6 KHz it sounded very similar.

PS: I had one of the older monophonic Whammys

I think there's a high cut filter at the output of the Digitech whammy, a couple years ago I tried to match it to the pitch block of the axe II and setting the high cut around 5-6 KHz it sounded very similar.

Exactly. It’s just a case of adjusting HiCut.

PS: I had one of the older monophonic Whammys
I would venture to guess that the pedal sample rate is low, like maybe 11 kHz. This limits the frequency response to 5K. Higher sampling rates mean more processing power which means more expensive DSP. These things were designed to be inexpensive.

I would venture to guess that the pedal sample rate is low, like maybe 11 kHz. This limits the frequency response to 5K. Higher sampling rates mean more processing power which means more expensive DSP. These things were designed to be inexpensive.
Is it possible to emulate it with a drive block after Pitch block reducing sample rate? I love the sound of real Whammy - very fat and cuts through easily.

THANK YOU @FractalAudio for the work on the pitch block. My band does Audioslave's 'Like a Stone', and the +12 shift solo part has now lost its warble - awesome. Now we can consider doing low Sabbath stuff that I didn't want to carry another guitar for - like Into the Void. I was surprised at how fun it is to play shifted up as well, and discovered that adding +3 to standard tuning gets me to Van Halen's Little Guitars, so will be working on that too. Very cool.

Back
Top Bottom