Timing on availability of exact specs/photos of FC-6/12

Asking because without a fully dedicated pedalboard, use of the Axe FX III is very limited for live situations/gigs.

Cliff recently posted that they didn’t know
If you figure they would have to order and go into production my best guess would be optimistically 60 to 90 days

@Randalljax Yeah, thinking of the same timeline. And that's excluding the waitlist craziness.

I love Fractal Axe Fx. Have owned several since day 1, but here, it looks to me that they are shipping a car with a tank 1/4 filled. I feel that it is fair to know exactly about the pedalboard (specs, photos, demos) before committing to such a massive financial/process switch to the Axe FX III ecosystem..

Of course it’s fair and that is why no one is forced to buy one.

They made it available now, because some people like myself are okay waiting and I knew what it can and can’t currently do

I’m not playing live though, so it’s not a problem for me. If I was playing live I would of waited to buy or at least kept my ax8 longer

Asking because without a fully dedicated pedalboard, use of the Axe FX III is very limited for live situations/gigs.
How is it limited? I use a Decibel 11 Switch Dr. I can change scenes and presets. I can hook up an expression pedal and foot switch to control volume or turn on/off effects block. It doesn't have bidirectional MIDI so I can't have the tuner displayed on the Switch Dr. Big deal. It is perfectly functional for live use without the FC foot controller.

Last edited:
An MFC firmware update would be an awesome temporary fix while waiting for the FC's. I know, memory is full but if it didn't have to support legacy AxeFx units, would there be enough memory? I realize it may not be worth resources spending time to develop it, or would it? I'm not a programmer so I don't know what all is involved. The again, having the MFC compatible with the III could potentially hurt sales of FC's when they finally become available - but I doubt it. Fractal Audio has a pretty loyal customer base, I'm sure most would still upgrade to the new controller.

The Axe III is definitely ready to go if you have a Midi Controller! Unfortunately, I sold my MFC with my Axe II as a combo. I'm really jonesing to use the Axe III live, so for now I'm still using the Ax8. I just don't want to invest money in another Midi controller if I'm only going to use it for 2-3 months. I'd rather give that money to Fractal. If Cliff says it's going to be another six months... then Yes, I'd probably pick up a cheap(er) controller.

I'd just like more of a gut-feel idea on the time table so I can make a decision today. I'm not holding Fractal to the fire or anything here. I just know when it's released it's going to be an awesome, single cable design.

It's always the buyer's choice. I also wanted to wait out the FC series, but just couldn't. That's as much of a business decision as anything for me. Moved on, bought something else, and will use it from now on. There's no doubt that a bunch of cool functionality is built in for use with the FC pedals, but each has to do what works best individually.

In that sense, the III is only as limited as our choices leave it. I just chose not to leave it there... time to move on to other concerns. Such as making some music, for instance.

Thanks for the feedback. Well, by 'limiting', I meant: (1) I would much rather not have to purchased an interim pedalboard while the FC is being designed/rolled out/available on a waiting list basis, (2) my focus is on playing, rather than learning multiple platforms, etc., which goes back to my earlier point.

This being said, looking forward to what Fractal has in store with the FC. I was not a fan of the MFC101, and am actually full of hope that the FC will be more intuitive

An MFC firmware update would be an awesome temporary fix while waiting for the FC's. I know, memory is full but if it didn't have to support legacy AxeFx units, would there be enough memory? I realize it may not be worth resources spending time to develop it, or would it? I'm not a programmer so I don't know what all is involved. The again, having the MFC compatible with the III could potentially hurt sales of FC's when they finally become available - but I doubt it. Fractal Audio has a pretty loyal customer base, I'm sure most would still upgrade to the new controller.

I totally agree & mentioned this a while back but got shot down. I think now that the FC's are certain to be delayed that would be an excellent good faith gesture to existing customers that do have MFC's to create a Axe III only firmware to hold them over until the FC's are available.

I totally agree & mentioned this a while back but got shot down. I think now that the FC's are certain to be delayed that would be an excellent good faith gesture to existing customers that do have MFC's to create a Axe III only firmware to hold them over until the FC's are available.
to stop development of the FCs only to spend time on creating an interim firmware from scratch for the MFC seems counterproductive. *shrug*

What would said update provide? Bidirectional communication for tuner and switch State is really all that’s missing. Honestly, with the new channel architecture in conjunction with scenes, you almost don’t need Birectional IA state. Or at least it would seem to be something most could live without for a short time.

“Good faith” would seem to imply that Fractal owes us something. That seems a trifle entitled.

to stop development of the FCs only to spend time on creating an interim firmware from scratch for the MFC seems counterproductive. *shrug*

That's assuming the same people(person) that are working on the FC's is the same as who did the original firmware for the MRC or would do this update. Also, since the FC's are greatly delayed & not just around the corner, would it make that much difference in the long run to make the MFC more III friendly? I don't know. Do you?
And by the way, I've already programmed my MFC to work with the III so I don't personally have a horse in this race but programming that thing is a bit cryptic & anything to make this transition easier would be helpful to a lot of users.

Last edited:
What would said update provide? Bidirectional communication for tuner and switch State is really all that’s missing. Honestly, with the new channel architecture in conjunction with scenes, you almost don’t need Birectional IA state. Or at least it would seem to be something most could live without for a short time.

“Good faith” would seem to imply that Fractal owes us something. That seems a trifle entitled.

Entitled, no. Good customer service in lieu of this apparent major delay, yes. I say that as a longtime Fractal owner having bought the original II MKI, 2 XL's, an MFC & the III. Not demanding or expecting anything along these lines. Just voicing my opinion. Gee, no one ever does that on the internet LOL! And by the way, I've already programmed my MFC to work with the III so I don't personally have a horse in this race but programming that thing is a bit cryptic & anything to make this transition easier would be helpful to a lot of users.

Last edited:
I'm on the Eu waiting list and still don't have my Axe III, so not a problem to wait the Fc, would be great to know at least the specs but it is clear that at the moment it's not possibile (otherwise Cliff would have communicated them to the market): evidently they are so far behind that the machine is still changing, and this means that the wait will be very long.

Back
Top Bottom