Cab Pack based on Guns N' Roses: "ML - Mikko N' Fortus - Impulses for Destruction"

I picked up this pack and I've been loving it.

The SM57 captures are very bright. The guitars from Appetite for Destruction were very bright, so I think these SM57 IRs are true to that album.

What makes me shiver with delight are the M160 IRs. They sound amazing. Pull up a Marshall model, pick the A1 M160 IR, turn up the volume, and lose yourself in the sea of tone bliss.

If I want more bite, I also like mixing in a little bit (~ -4 db) of a SM57 IR along with a M160 IR.

The SM57 IRs do a great job with getting that Appetite tone, but there is so much more than that in this IR pack!

I picked up this pack and I've been loving it.

The SM57 captures are very bright. The guitars from Appetite for Destruction were very bright, so I think these SM57 IRs are true to that album.

What makes me shiver with delight are the M160 IRs. They sound amazing. Pull up a Marshall model, pick the A1 M160 IR, turn up the volume, and lose yourself in the sea of tone bliss.

If I want more bite, I also like mixing in a little bit (~ -4 db) of a SM57 IR along with a M160 IR.

The SM57 IRs do a great job with getting that Appetite tone, but there is so much more than that in this IR pack!
This really is a true representation of the pack. And SM57 will especially "SM57 A1" sounds almost identical to Appetite for Destruction tone. I literally compared the EQ curves and they're extremely similar. It's going to sound a bit bright in some instances but that's what the Appetite guitar tone sounds like. You can turn it into something more modern sounding with other mics. The Fortus mixes were built so that they start from almost an SM57 single IR and then it gets fatter and fatter all the way up to 10. That's how I use the pack at least. :) So easy to get the tone you're after.

so... I've bought myself a copy and I must say I'm very impressed by them. Now I totally can comprehend why the veterans had always mentioned that the IR is, probably, the most important ingredient in tone shaping. I've been shamelessly chasing the afd tone for the longest time and I'm glad to report back that ML Lab's claim, that SM57 A1 is very close to the recorded afd tone is absolutely valid!

I've left the IR world for the longest time. I run my axe straight into a 2X12 cab these days. When this amazing pack came out, i was a little unsure. Monitored this thread and the amazing video clip that ML Labs posted convinced me to part with my hard-earned cash.

in short, ive hooked up my AX8 into... hmmm..... a pair of Blackstar fly 3 speakers and loaded the IR. I was darn impressed. Even with minimal tweaking of the amp settings, i could get pretty close. SM57 A1 indeed had that pretty throaty and nasal(y) characteristic. and then i called up this video,

..... and .... then, I'm convinced that I should get something written on this thread.

thanks ML Labs! this is really... seriously great stuffs ......

Hi all - new to the AX8, but I could not resist this cab-pack. I have a question. When I use Cab Manage in AX8-Edit it only see 26 cabs. The documentation says there are over 90. Am I missing something? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

so... I've bought myself a copy and I must say I'm very impressed by them. Now I totally can comprehend why the veterans had always mentioned that the IR is, probably, the most important ingredient in tone shaping. I've been shamelessly chasing the afd tone for the longest time and I'm glad to report back that ML Lab's claim, that SM57 A1 is very close to the recorded afd tone is absolutely valid!

I've left the IR world for the longest time. I run my axe straight into a 2X12 cab these days. When this amazing pack came out, i was a little unsure. Monitored this thread and the amazing video clip that ML Labs posted convinced me to part with my hard-earned cash.

in short, ive hooked up my AX8 into... hmmm..... a pair of Blackstar fly 3 speakers and loaded the IR. I was darn impressed. Even with minimal tweaking of the amp settings, i could get pretty close. SM57 A1 indeed had that pretty throaty and nasal(y) characteristic. and then i called up this video,

..... and .... then, I'm convinced that I should get something written on this thread.

thanks ML Labs! this is really... seriously great stuffs ......

Wow this made my day! Thank you so much. Is it okay if I quote your text? :)

Certainly! Just replace ‘axe’ with axe. Typed so fast that I thought I still had my mk2.

Perhaps just to add on, I’m using a 96 LP with alnico pro 2 from the nineties as well. Sounds phenomenal. It could be the pathetic pair of black star fly 3’s limitations, the influence of the IRs seems to be a bit overwhelming - my poorly trained ears couldn’t discern much impact of the BMT. I’ve gotta do a run with my headphones just to be sure.

Let me find time to run through my other les paul loaded with area 59’s beast buckers and 13’s a3 magnet custombuckers and report back here.

Congrats ML Lab!

Wow this made my day! Thank you so much. Is it okay if I quote your text? :)

@ml lab - can I encourage you to churn out with more presets? :)

I was expecting to see more of AFS 2 but I saw other amps used, like the the Cameron ccv 2a?

Edit - I’ve played with the area 59 beastbucker and I’m glad to report back that it... stills sounds amazing. Very afd-ish. I don’t know what you did to these IRs man. I know my observation may not seems to be ‘that’ valid cuz of my limited experience with IRs and playing through the pathetic blackstar speakers but....

... this IR sounds very open. Very, for the lack of a better description, more 3D-ish or cab in a room. All of the IRs I’ve tried sounded real boxy. Which caused me to leave the IR route. Even when I had a set of decent monitors, many IRs still felt boxy to me.

I’ve return to the stocked IRs and have it a go. The TV mix and other 4x12 marshall mix. Still felt boxy. Switch back to the A1 IR... the sweet distortion fills up the room.

Man. What have you done!? :)

Last edited:
Those presets in the pack are made by Richard Fortus so those are his actual presets. :) I kind of made my own preset that has all 8 scenes usable to cover most GnR sounds you can think of. That's the MLnIR's preset.

What have I done? That's a tough one.. same thing I always do? Clean and pure captures of great sounding cabs. I have my tricks for sure but they're all tricks in the live room... what kind of room, where in the room etc. I've spent a lot of geeky-time trying out different things. I'm glad that you like the sound!

Got this pack coming for Christmas..... can anyone suggest which would be the best IR for the UYI-era sound please?
The A speaker/mix option is more of the AFD type guitar sound while the B speaker/mix option is a more modern type Slash tone. UYI is a bit trickier as there are so many different types of guitar tones in there while AFD was basically that one guitar tone through the whole album.

I have to say I'm feeling overwhelmed by the positive feedback this pack is receiving. We went in with a goal in mind and in the early stages of the first IR's we shot we realized that this pack is going sound just like GnR. Thank you guys for liking the sounds and of course the ultimate goal here is that it sparks new amazing music so keep on playing. :)

Bought yesterday. I sold my gibson years ago but have always kept my epiphone lp because that was the first real guitar i ever had, thanks to gnr.

Some great preset cab bundles in this pack (thats all i tried so far). The MLnIR preset is really good though i prefer the A7 mix in that one. I am a little confused by the live and let die / november rain cleans that seem to be heavy with tremolo effect and not so clean? But its been ages since i listened to those songs lol so i dont know

Well done this definitely filled a gap. I had been eyeing the brit pack but its huge and i was hesitant because i already have many brit irs and slash's tone is why i got into marshall in the first place.

So does Fortus use the axe?

I have to say I'm feeling overwhelmed by the positive feedback this pack is receiving. We went in with a goal in mind and in the early stages of the first IR's we shot we realized that this pack is going sound just like GnR. Thank you guys for liking the sounds and of course the ultimate goal here is that it sparks new amazing music so keep on playing. :)

You addressed three important areas with this product release:

1.) Produced a cab that is really usable across several amps
2.) Harnessed that (as someone put it before) "throaty" and greasy sound a lot of us want to hear out of our Marshalls...and...
3.) Provided us with presets created and used by a guitarist that is in one of the bands that changed music for a lot of us in our youth...

Homerun, bro.

Edit:

4.) You made it good enough that people want to talk about it...

Back
Top Bottom