Is now a good time to buy into the Axe FX II platform?

I would probably just buy used because they are a tremendous value and tend to be reliable if I were worried about a new unit on the horizon.

But, FWIW, as a long time II owner and FAS fan, I don't think I will buy a III if it materializes (barring a hardware failure of my II or some kind of insanely innovative feature on the III (something on the cabs, I would guess)). I will probably have to stop frequenting the forum, though. The excitement would suck me in, I'm sure.

That said, with the II I have been feeling kind of 'done' on hardware for a few years now. That was part of the point of this high end box. I buy a pedal here or there play it for a week or two and put it away because it is not adding enough value to leave setting out or to be carried around.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. The value of the unit isn't in the hardware, it's in the modelling software. You buy the hardware to allow you to run the firmware. So I'd be focused on that aspect of the hardware alone, which would lead me to believe that buying an XL+ would probably have you set for at least 5-10 years.

The biggest worry I'd have is that the hardware won't support future firmware upgrades. That seems unlikely for the XL and XL+, but might be a factor for the older models. On the other hand, the firmware is sounding pretty awesome right now, so even if you were locked out of every future update after today it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Id say buy, and i live by that, mine arrives on Friday;-) life's too short to worry and wait for something new that may be iminent, may be a few years away... (watch me eat my words when the AXEIII is anounced on Monday!)

Nobody can tell you with any certainty (except maybe Cliff) what the future holds. Some people may guess, but that is all it is... a guess. My advice is to buy the best gear you can afford. Anything else will just be a regret.

As a non-seasoned potential AxeFx user like yourself, there is so much to learn about this great beast of a box that it will literally make very little, if ANY difference as to whether or not you'd be satisfied with the results you get between an XL+ or an "Axe3". The XL+ has quite a bit of time left before it's in the legacy category. Quite burning yourself and grab an XL+. And yes, Fractal Audio Systems is definitely NOT a company like CrApple!

Just because a new unit is launched doesn't mean the old one is abandoned. Fractal is very good at continuing to support older products and there are many people still running 6 year old Axe FX IIs with the latest firmware (and sounding identical to people with brand new units).

I also think the two big changes for the III will be more appealing to new users than existing users and will have minimal impact on tone. This is purely speculation but considering the XL+ has more than enough memory, the processors are powerful for most situations, and the modelling is already better than anything else out there; I suspect the big improvements will be in the user interface and in connectivity.

Where the competition excels and where the Axe FX lags is in ease of use so I expect the III will have a nice big touchscreen and an interface based on Axe Edit, which will help to attract new users who might have been put off by the perceived complexity, but won't be of much benefit to existing users who are already familiar with the current interface.

And the only real hardware advantage the Helix has in hardware is in the routing and the new Axe FX is likely to at least match it in that respect. So if you're planning on an absurdly complicated signal routing then it might be worth waiting. But most people make the current set up work perfectly well.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Just buy the current model now. It's the top end of the line uber model that will last you a very long time. I could easily see myself working with the XL+ for years to come. And even if the Axe FX III comes out? So what? Let the early adopters get that, so you can snag up a cheap XL+, or even a 2nd one. Then laugh all the way whenever Fractal comes out with yet an upgraded version. I mean of the 1st series there was the Standard, then came the uber version Ultra. Then came the Axe FX 2. And the Axe FX 2 Mk.II. And then the Axe FX 2 XL. And finally the current Axe FX 2 XL+. Imagine being the one who went for the first Axe FX 2, you're now owning an obsolete product with less upgrade functionality. Always get the final uber version. That will last you the longest, let the early adopters score the initial models and by the time your old model is finally showing its age the next final uber version will be out there. Then get that one. Rinse and repeat when the Axe FX 4 comes along.

And even then, there are still people for whom their old models is working to their satisfaction. Who knows, it may turn out that those old models have a trick that the newer models can't do anymore and they become desirable in their own right. Kinda like how the 30 year old Korg A series is still coveted because the Edge used it to record a famous song with it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Just buy the current model now. It's the top end of the line uber model that will last you a very long time. I could easily see myself working with the XL+ for years to come. And even if the Axe FX III comes out? So what? Let the early adopters get that, so you can snag up a cheap XL+, or even a 2nd one. Then laugh all the way whenever Fractal comes out with yet an upgraded version. I mean of the 1st series there was the Standard, then came the uber version Ultra. Then came the Axe FX 2. And the Axe FX 2 Mk.II. And then the Axe FX 2 XL. And finally the current Axe FX 2 XL+. Imagine being the one who went for the first Axe FX 2, you're now owning an obsolete product with less upgrade functionality. Always get the final uber version. That will last you the longest, let the early adopters score the initial models and by the time your old model is finally showing its age the next final uber version will be out there. Then get that one. Rinse and repeat when the Axe FX 4 comes along.

The Axe-Fx 2 MK I and II still have all the same features as the newer models, just less memory for stuff and a slightly worse display. The XL models are very much meant for power users originally, those guys who just have to have a ton of 3rd party IRs and so on. This is a pretty small niche of the user base and I would say that most would be fine with the original units. They still receive updates but we are probably getting to a point where the MK I/II can't fit much more into the firmware memory. And that's fine, I cannot think of what else I would want soundwise from the unit and the issues with the II are not something that can be fixed with anything but an Axe-Fx III.

Gray Ell,
I have no idea if a new axe fx platform will be released tomorrow. I do know however that I'm kicking myself for mucking around and thinking about the money for years before buying the axe fx. Here they are 4 grand which is a lot to me, so I tried softwatpre, line six products, eleven rack, then - finally I bought an axe fx for bass, and then another for guitar. It will be the most defining gear purchase you will make - as good as a Neumann microphone, but for guitar. I can't recommend highly enough you just go get one. Absolute worst case is that you hate it (you wont) and drop a few hundred selling it second hand.
Thanks
Pauly

• Buy a new XL+ and support the company that works hard to bring great things to us.
  • It's the best sounding amp/multi fx processor available.
  • It's the most powerful amp/multi fx processor available.
  • Have shown a history for great resale value, if you want to get something different later.
  • I think the Axe III will mainly be UI refinements if/when it does come, but of course that's a guess.

I think (my very own undocumented thoughts) that the biggest change in the next AXE generation will be about user interface, not sound or processor speed etc. which I believe will be a more subtle part of the next generation. The user interface is the only thing were Fractal are getting squashed by competitors, IMHO. Personally I could'nt care less since I see the Axe edit as a great user interface, and the fact my presets are pretty much in the bank, with no real tweaking needed anymore. So if the AXE FX III came out tomorrow, I would pick up another XL+ as a back-up when or if I found a cheap one;) The next generation should really have some amazing features for me to go for it (alignment of output level across presets with some tone generator, redundant back up, or some other wild thing I can't even imagine on the spot) :p

The axe FX XL is nowhere near it's full capacity for firmware updates, so the Axe FX 3 is very unlikely any time soon.
If there is a Axe FX 3 on the way, it would be just because of a UI update or more ports. The Axe FX 2 interface is good enough, and the Axe has enough ports to go around as is. That shouldn't bother you. The unit would sound the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking to move from Amps into modeling. I briefly tried the Helix because its available in my town but it has a ridiculous firmware update process that risks bricking the device every time you do it. Totally unacceptable for a device of that price.

As a result, I'm looking to take the plunge and order a Fractal product. The Ax8 form factor and price are great but I think the requirement of an interface, lack of a headphone out, and reduced DSP make it less appealing.

That leaves the Axe II XL which I'm happy to take the plunge on, but I worry about investing that much money if there is any expectation of newer models coming out soon. I imagine this probably isn't an easy question to answer since Fractal isn't a company like apple with predictable release dates but just wondering what you guys would do in my boat.

Life is short. If you have the money ... and are willing to put the time in to learn how to use the Axe XL [like any other high end modeller] .... its an absolutely awesome unit .... your playback system is totally [and equally] critical too.

And as others quite rightly pointed out ... even if you buy an XL today .. and the III comes out tomorrow .... history tells us that (i) it will be months / ages before even wait-listers get their hands on one (ii) the "loss" you will take if you sell and buy will be more than off-set by the use of the unit in the interim and ( iii ) an Axe III doesnt make an XL sound any less fantastic than it already is.

On a somewhat "less positive note" you wrote:- " ... I briefly tried the Helix because its available in my town but it has a ridiculous firmware update process that risks bricking the device every time you do it. Totally unacceptable for a device of that price ... ".

Regardless of what you thought of the Helix sonically when you tried it ....... honestly ....... I dont know where you get your information - because even allowing for the fact that this is a Fractal forum - your statement above [ original wording deleted by me :) ] is "somewhat over-stating the issue".

Ben

Last edited:
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Life is short. If you have the money ... and are willing to put the time in to learn how to use the Axe XL [like any other high end modeller] .... its an absolutely awesome unit .... your playback system is totally [and equally] critical too.

And as others quite rightly pointed out ... even if you buy an XL today .. and the III comes out tomorrow .... history tells us that (i) it will be months / ages before even wait-listers get their hands on one (ii) the "loss" you will take if you sell and buy will be more than off-set by the use of the unit in the interim and ( iii ) an Axe III doesnt make an XL sound any less fantastic than it already is.

On a somewhat "less positive note" you wrote:- " ... I briefly tried the Helix because its available in my town but it has a ridiculous firmware update process that risks bricking the device every time you do it. Totally unacceptable for a device of that price ... ".

Honestly, I dont know where you get your information - but even allowing for the fact that this is a Fractal forum - that is just a preposterously wrong and bizarre statement.

Ben
hey ben , agree with you on most points , but “wrong and bizarre” might be a little strong..As an owner of both units..I have experienced 1st hand the overly convoluted Helix update process...where you may not “brick the device”, it is absolutely
Possible to lose presets and IR s if the Byzantine process is not obeyed ...and this has been discussed and acknowledged by L6 execs who are promising a streamlined process someday...so OP...get the AX8 or AXFXII xl+ in any event...:):cool:

My take is i would biy a new axe fx xl
You never know what you are going to get when you buy used unless you know the person. The axe fx sounds incredible. In my opinion no new firmware upgrades are needed. It only improves on perfect. I will only buy an axe 3 when my 2 bites the dust
Highly consider the asm 12 by friedman for your frfr i just bought my second and OH MY!!!!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
hey ben , agree with you on most points , but “wrong and bizarre” might be a little strong..As an owner of both units..I have experienced 1st hand the overly convoluted Helix update process...where you may not “brick the device”, it is absolutely
Possible to lose presets and IR s if the Byzantine process is not obeyed ...and this has been discussed and acknowledged by L6 execs who are promising a streamlined process someday...so OP...get the AX8 or AXFXII xl+ in any event...:):cool:

Hey Brad. Good and very fair points ... the "wrong and bizzare" was a bit over-the-top on my part ... Ive edited my post above accordingly :) .... but regardless, he should get an AX8 or XL !

If I had a dime for every time I've said this, I would own a back up XL to my main XL:)

I will NEVER own another piece of gear, period. The Axe FXII is the best rig I have EVER owned. I fly everywhere with it and it never fails to drop jaws when ears hear it for the first time. Just buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have an Axe-FX II Mk1. Upgraded from my Axe-FX Ultra when the Axe-FX II first came out.

Since then they've released a Mk2, then the Axe-FX XL and then the Axe-FX XL+.

Guess what......? My original Axe-FX II still sounds amazing and does much more than I could ever imagine needing.

Don't hold out for an Axe-FX III that may come out in 6 months or 6 years or never..... who knows.

If you really want to minimize any potential loss if a "III" does come out sooner than later, purchase a used XL or XL+. You could even get just a "II" Mk1 like mine and I have full confidence your mind will be still be blown.

If you were to by an Axe-FX II Mk1 (like mine) with the latest/current firmware and never upgrade the firmware or never upgrade the unit, you would still have an amazing set of amp models, Cab IR's and effects that sound incredible - feel incredible and give you everything you need for studio or live performance until the day you (or the unit) dies.

Best guitar gear I’ve ever purchased.

The “secret” is in the software not the HW, other than you need the proprietary black box to run said software.

Also, Axe fx xl+ ($1999) and axe8 ($1199) on sale now for Rocktober.

But it is of little impact to me and my enjoyment if you pass on such a killer rig. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom