AustinBuddy Naked Amps Tone Pack (still) Rules! ... New Website up...FM3...coming soon(ish)

Yes it's different. The amps aren't at default. I can't say whether they all sound precisely like the archetypical originals would sound, but they all sound different and inspiring. Most of us will, because we're creatures of habit, make most amps sound the same. Buddy has done a wonderful job of highlighting the unique characteristics of each amp and cab pairing.

This is accurate, but I will say there were maybe 5 or 6 amps - mostly Modern ones I think (like the Splawn Quickrod Plexi) in there that just sounded perfect/gorgeous as it should with default BMT all at "5", and I couldn't make them sound better in twisting those, so I left them at "5" for the base tone in Scene 1, just dialed in drive. So don't think I skipped them if you run across those! ;)

Forgive the Texas shuffle Intro (I did the music for all of this using the Fractal for guitars), but here is a "rough" video intro to the +700 Naked Amps TonePack I just finished putting together tonight. It's about 3 minutes long.

Any feedback -- does this help explain the TonePack for those of you who have it? What else should it say? What could it lose?

Does it help those of you who are interested in knowing what's in it? Thanks in advance!

This has been a "soft launch" process to date, with a special forum member introductory price through the end of July. Come August the pack will sell for $59...still a real steal for 700+ presets!

Ian is right if you use the built in Scene selector function in the AX8...I put the Scene 1/2block as a block/footswitch to make it easy in the AX* version, in but if you port over from an XL and just use the AX8 Scene 1-8 function to select Scene 2, you won't need to add the separate Scene block.

I still think you may have to assign foot-switches though for each preset (drive block?) since the XL bank will not contain that data...something to consider...
You already in bIg Indian, @austinbuddy , or are you dictating these gems of wisdom into your road phone?...Iam so pissed to have to miss dweezilla this year....just so a relative stranger can look up my poop chute ...(name that Zappa reference for extra points )

This is accurate, but I will say there were maybe 5 or 6 amps - mostly Modern ones I think (like the Splawn Quickrod Plexi) in there that just sounded perfect/gorgeous as it should with default BMT all at "5", and I couldn't make them sound better in twisting those, so I left them at "5" for the base tone in Scene 1, just dialed in drive. So don't think I skipped them if you run across those! ;)

Lol, exactly the same conclusion I came too (regarding the Splawns).

Yep, was in spam.
Typical that invitations to help a Nigerian princess launder money get through the filter and stuff that I care about doesn't.
KipStryker:

You'll be emailed a link very quickly (within the hour) of when you buy it with link to the download.

If you don't see the download link email, do check your spam folder -- a handful of customers had that issue.

PM me here if you have any questions.

And while I have the microphone....let me add that minority of Windows users are using an unzip extractor that says the zip file is Mac-made and "empty" -- but let me assure you it's not empty, the files are there in the zip file. If this happens to anyone, just try a windows RAR extractor instead of the one you used (hat tip to forum user and beta team member Rex for the tip) .

Thanks Ian, That is exactly what I was hoping to hear....
Same for me. And Ian is right. I have several go to gig patches, all different amps, all sounding very similar as that's how I've tweaked them. Problem is for that very reason I can never decide which to use, sometimes as late as '1,2,3,4...´, which can be embarrassing of course

You already in bIg Indian, @austinbuddy , or are you dictating these gems of wisdom into your road phone?...Iam so pissed to have to miss dweezilla this year....just so a relative stranger can look up my poop chute ...(name that Zappa reference for extra points )

Headed up to Dweezilla tomorrow. Should be a phenomenal time, as always!

The Zappa tune is... Jewish Princess? Hope your procedure goes well and you don't remember a thing!

Last edited:
You are like me -- multiple Fractals! I use the AX8 for gigging and keep the XL in the rack for recording and sound design. Makes life easier.

It's a great, smart question. Unfortunately there is not a "preferred answer" -- because you give something up either direction. So you have to choose what is more valuable to you.

Bottom line: mainly, you lose any cab mics chosen for factory cabs if you go with the AX8 then convert to XL or Mark II. On the other hand, you lose the pre-assigned foot-switches if you go from XL or Mark II to convert to AX8. And if you start with the Mark II version, then you don't have the presets that use factory cabs over #132 (up to 189) if you convert to AX8 or XL as originally designed.

Further Details (fair warning, we are getting weedy here):

AX8 VERSION:

1. The AX8 TonePack version will not have any microphone assignments like the XL or Mark II does - because the AX8 cab block does not allow for those (the way it is designed) like the XL does. I designed all presets on an XL, including cab mics. So -- you lose my mic choices if you buy this version hoping to use it on an XL or Mark II.

The ReadMe file has a list of all presets and all Cabs used as a helpful guide. I encourage people to experiment with other cabs as well -- it really changes the nature of an amp.

2. On the other hand, the AX8 version does have the preset foot-switches already assigned -- Drive block in switch 3, Scene 1/2 block in switch 4 (and reverb and tremolo if the amp has them, plus some "easter eggs").

So XL or Mark II won't have that -- preset foot-switches don't translate over to the rack mount units....so you would need an MFC101 or similar with those IA switches assigned to access them. That is surely doable.

3. For JUST the AX8 Bonus 40 or so Classic Rock & Blues presets, which were originally designed on the XL, the AX8 version had to lose an effect block or two, due to less CPU availability in AX* than Axe-Fx. The "truest" versions for the bonus preset component are the XL or Mark II. For example, the Jimi presets (26-40) use two amp blocks in tandem -- you can only have one in the AX8.

XL VERSION

1. Here you do get the cab mics I assigned in these presets part of the sound design. If you convert to AX8, it will strip those out since AX8 can't use them.

2. If you convert an XL bank to an AX8 bank, you will have to, by hand (unless you can figure out how to get FracTool to do this, I don't think it can -- yet), set up a Scene 1/2 block for every preset, and other blocks -- a pretty tedious task for 350+ presets.

3. In the XL (or Mark II) -- you should set up an IA switch on your foot-controller for Scene 1/2 switching (or just do it in Axe-Edit) -- you really want to be able to access the Scene 2 in every preset!!! Because sometimes I switch cabs or mics, etc. in a Scene 2 in addition to changing gain, level, and tone control settings.

MARK II VERSION:

1. If you convert to a Mark II version, it will show up with USER cabs (yours) for any presets that had a factory cab between #133 and #189. When I created the Mark II version, I went back and substituted in/out factory cabs so that they were all under #132 -- using choices I thought sounded the best, but they were not my first tone cab choices for XL and AX8 when I had access to those cabs between #133 and #189.

2. To put a little differently, Axe-Fx II/Original users (unlike the AX8 and XL models that have Factory cabs going up to #189) only can access factory cabs only goes up to #132. So roughly 50 or so presets created for XL or AX8 but converted with Fractool for Mark II will now point to your own user cabs for any naked amp or bonus presets that had factory cabs above #132.

If converting, you'd have to make your own assignments for those presets set to cabs above #132, preset by preset -- and understand they would not sound as designed. If you go his route, after conversion, you can use FracTool to print a list of cabs and highlight where it now points to user rather than factory cabs, and go back to edit those presets to your liking.

Hope that helps you all understand what's involved!

Spot on guys! Looks like I'll grab the XL bundle for now :)

Ok, my interest is peaked, but Im a high gainer, typically no presets or 'others' versions of high gain do much for me. Did you work much with high gain amps or to make average gain amps higher gain? Thanks.

I too would love to see a sample pack or demo preset or 2. I've bought presets from a few different places and never been able to use them presumably due to differences in monitoring and guitar.

Forgive the Texas shuffle Intro (I did the music for all of this using the Fractal for guitars), but here is a "rough" video intro to the +700 Naked Amps TonePack I just finished putting together tonight. It's about 3 minutes long.

Any feedback -- does this help explain the TonePack for those of you who have it? What else should it say? What could it lose?

Does it help those of you who are interested in knowing what's in it? Thanks in advance!

This has been a "soft launch" process to date, with a special forum member introductory price through the end of July. Come August the pack will sell for $59...still a real steal for 700+ presets!

I think this is a good overview Buddy. I'm glad you mentioned using real pedals in front of these Naked AMPs; instead of adding effects into these presets, I have taken to running my pedalboard in front of the Axe and paired with your presets, I'm getting fantastic results! If I was to add anything, I would mention the easy access these presets provide to the full spectrum of what the Axe can do and how these presets show the unique aspects of each amp in the unit. It really is like experiencing the Axe for the first time, because each amp has it's own character and you show each of them in their best possible voice. The only changes I make are auditioning my purchased Cab Packs and utilizing my pedals. It's been great!

Last edited:
Just bought the preset pack. Can't wait to dive in after hearing all the positive reviews. Stock presets and others have never really done anything for me before. I think these will be different.

Just bought the preset pack. Can't wait to dive in after hearing all the positive reviews. Stock presets and others have never really done anything for me before. I think these will be different.

Am sure you will find plenty of tones to love in it! Make sure you use Scene 1/2 switching!

Back
Top Bottom