AustinBuddy Naked Amps Tone Pack (still) Rules! ... New Website up...FM3...coming soon(ish)

Sorry if this is obvious, it's not to me....I am old...Just asking...So is this different than taking an amp\cab, setting all to defaults for Q802 and I guess leveling all the presets? IOW, are you saying each amp\cab is dialed in to get as close to the bare original sound of the amp in question? Hope that makes sense. I know what my question is, hope I conveyed it correctly.

Thanks AB

These presets seem to be getting rave reviews from some very experienced users. Wondering how you guys would compare these to the newly released factory presets? I know these presets are not loaded with effects, but if you turned the effects blocks off in the factory presets for a particular amp model, are these presets superior to the factory presets? If so, what do you think the main differences are? Maybe too general a question but I'd be curious to know how you compare the two sets of presets (AB and Factory). I think one difference might be that the factory presets may not employ all the available amp models whereas the AB presets do. Any other differences?

Sorry if this is obvious, it's not to me....I am old...Just asking...So is this different than taking an amp\cab, setting all to defaults for Q802 and I guess leveling all the presets? IOW, are you saying each amp\cab is dialed in to get as close to the bare original sound of the amp in question? Hope that makes sense. I know what my question is, hope I conveyed it correctly.
Yes it's different. The amps aren't at default. I can't say whether they all sound precisely like the archetypical originals would sound, but they all sound different and inspiring. Most of us will, because we're creatures of habit, make most amps sound the same. Buddy has done a wonderful job of highlighting the unique characteristics of each amp and cab pairing.

Yes it's different. The amps aren't at default. I can't say whether they all sound precisely like the archetypical originals would sound, but they all sound different and inspiring. Most of us will, because we're creatures of habit, make most amps sound the same. Buddy has done a wonderful job of highlighting the unique characteristics of each amp and cab pairing.

Thanks Ian, That is exactly what I was hoping to hear....

Forgive the Texas shuffle Intro (I did the music for all of this using the Fractal for guitars), but here is a "rough" video intro to the +700 Naked Amps TonePack I just finished putting together tonight. It's about 3 minutes long.

Any feedback -- does this help explain the TonePack for those of you who have it? What else should it say? What could it lose?

Does it help those of you who are interested in knowing what's in it? Thanks in advance!

This has been a "soft launch" process to date, with a special forum member introductory price through the end of July. Come August the pack will sell for $59...still a real steal for 700+ presets!

Last edited:
I've just bought via PayPal.
I didn't take note of what happens next, but I'm guessing I'll be emailed a download link at some point.

I was super happy with my tones on my last few gigs, but can't ignore the recommendations for this pack. And was impressed with the Jimi video. I have a few gig free weeks and just feel the need to broaden my pallet a little.

I was super happy with my tones on my last few gigs, but can't ignore the recommendations for this pack. And was impressed with the Jimi video. I have a few gig free weeks and just feel the need to broaden my pallet a little.
I take a fair bit of pride in my hand-crafted tones. Have for years now. Buddy's pack just accelerates my learning curve on amp and cab pairings I'm far less familiar with.

Hello,

I just purchased the pack. When I unzip the archive, I get an empty folder. Anyone else have this issue and find a work around? I contacted AB directly, but decided to post here in case anyone else had the same issue. I tried disabling virus protection in case it was blocking the unzip for some reason, but this did not help.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Same issue here ... downloaded this morning (Mark II) and it was empty ... also sent AB a direct email ...

I've just bought via PayPal.
I didn't take note of what happens next, but I'm guessing I'll be emailed a download link at some point.

KipStryker:

You'll be emailed a link very quickly (within the hour) of when you buy it with link to the download.

If you don't see the download link email, do check your spam folder -- a handful of customers had that issue.

PM me here if you have any questions.

And while I have the microphone....let me add that minority of Windows users are using an unzip extractor that says the zip file is Mac-made and "empty" -- but let me assure you it's not empty, the files are there in the zip file. If this happens to anyone, just try a windows RAR extractor instead of the one you used (hat tip to forum user and beta team member Rex for the tip) .

Hmmm, I'm in a bit a quandary here. I have an xl+ and an Ax8 and don't want to buy 2 packs. Which pack would be the best option, I.e. the easiest to convert?

Clips sound ace btw!!

KipStryker:

You'll be emailed a link very quickly (within the hour) of when you buy it with link to the download.

If you don't see the download link email, do check your spam folder -- a handful of customers had that issue.

PM me here if you have any questions.

And while I have the microphone....let me add that minority of Windows users are using an unzip extractor that says the zip file is Mac-made and "empty" -- but let me assure you it's not empty, the files are there in the zip file. If this happens to anyone, just try a windows RAR extractor instead of the one you used (hat tip to forum user and beta team member Rex for the tip) .

Worked fine on my MacBook Pro. Simply an amazing set of Presets. These should be included in the Axe-Fx as the default presets...they do the box justice. The only issue I had was the "Effects Loop" in every patch, as I have my Output1/Output2 set differently in my Global settings...If you are getting a strange sound out of the presets and run FRFR, I recommend deleting the "Effects Loop" in every preset. Again, an outstanding contribution and well worth it!

Hmmm, I'm in a bit a quandary here. I have an xl+ and an Ax8 and don't want to buy 2 packs. Which pack would be the best option, I.e. the easiest to convert?

Clips sound ace btw!!

You are like me -- multiple Fractals! I use the AX8 for gigging and keep the XL in the rack for recording and sound design. Makes life easier.

It's a great, smart question. Unfortunately there is not a "preferred answer" -- because you give something up either direction. So you have to choose what is more valuable to you.

Bottom line: mainly, you lose any cab mics chosen for factory cabs if you go with the AX8 then convert to XL or Mark II. On the other hand, you lose the pre-assigned foot-switches if you go from XL or Mark II to convert to AX8. And if you start with the Mark II version, then you don't have the presets that use factory cabs over #132 (up to 189) if you convert to AX8 or XL as originally designed.

Further Details (fair warning, we are getting weedy here):

AX8 VERSION:

1. The AX8 TonePack version will not have any microphone assignments like the XL or Mark II does - because the AX8 cab block does not allow for those (the way it is designed) like the XL does. I designed all presets on an XL, including cab mics. So -- you lose my mic choices if you buy this version hoping to use it on an XL or Mark II.

The ReadMe file has a list of all presets and all Cabs used as a helpful guide. I encourage people to experiment with other cabs as well -- it really changes the nature of an amp.

2. On the other hand, the AX8 version does have the preset foot-switches already assigned -- Drive block in switch 3, Scene 1/2 block in switch 4 (and reverb and tremolo if the amp has them, plus some "easter eggs").

So XL or Mark II won't have that -- preset foot-switches don't translate over to the rack mount units....so you would need an MFC101 or similar with those IA switches assigned to access them. That is surely doable.

3. For JUST the AX8 Bonus 40 or so Classic Rock & Blues presets, which were originally designed on the XL, the AX8 version had to lose an effect block or two, due to less CPU availability in AX8 than Axe-Fx. The "truest" versions for the bonus preset component are the XL or Mark II. For example, the Jimi presets (26-40) use two amp blocks in tandem -- you can only have one in the AX8.

XL VERSION

1. Here you do get the cab mics I assigned in these presets part of the sound design. If you convert to AX8, it will strip those out since AX8 can't use them.

2. If you convert an XL bank to an AX8 bank, you will have to, by hand (unless you can figure out how to get FracTool to do this, I don't think it can -- yet), set up a Scene 1/2 block for every preset, and other blocks -- a pretty tedious task for 350+ presets.

3. In the XL (or Mark II) -- you should set up an IA switch on your foot-controller for Scene 1/2 switching (or just do it in Axe-Edit) -- you really want to be able to access the Scene 2 in every preset!!! Because sometimes I switch cabs or mics, etc. in a Scene 2 in addition to changing gain, level, and tone control settings.

MARK II VERSION:

1. If you convert to a Mark II version, it will show up with USER cabs (yours) for any presets that had a factory cab between #133 and #189. When I created the Mark II version, I went back and substituted in/out factory cabs so that they were all under #132 -- using choices I thought sounded the best, but they were not my first tone cab choices for XL and AX8 when I had access to those cabs between #133 and #189.

2. To put a little differently, Axe-Fx II/Original users (unlike the AX8 and XL models that have Factory cabs going up to #189) only can access factory cabs only goes up to #132. So roughly 100 or so presets (X/Y) created for XL or AX8 but converted with Fractool for Mark II will now point to your own user cabs for any naked amp or bonus presets that had factory cabs above #132.

If converting, you'd have to make your own assignments for those presets set to cabs above #132, preset by preset -- and understand they would not sound as designed. If you go his route, after conversion, you can use FracTool to print a list of cabs and highlight where it now points to user rather than factory cabs, and go back to edit those presets to your liking.

Hope that helps you all understand what's involved!

Last edited:
Worked fine on my MacBook Pro. Simply an amazing set of Presets. These should be included in the Axe-Fx as the default presets...they do the box justice. The only issue I had was the "Effects Loop" in every patch, as I have my Output1/Output2 set differently in my Global settings...If you are getting a strange sound out of the presets and run FRFR, I recommend deleting the "Effects Loop" in every preset. Again, an outstanding contribution and well worth it!

Yes. I included that FX Loop block for anyone who uses their Fractal also as a pre-amp (such as Output1 to Front of House, Output 2 to a power amp and cabinet on stage). Just an option - I know some users don't use FRFR monitors and didn't want to exclude them from enjoying the TonePack.

Of course the stage real-life cab would color the sound differently than the factory cab...;)

favance, do let us know if you try and that solution works for you! Thanks!

Last edited:
Buy the XL+ pack and FracTool convert the presets for the AX8.

Ian is right if you use the built in Scene selector function in the AX8...I put the Scene 1/2 block as an actual footswitch to make it easy in the AX8 version, in but if you port over from an XL and just use the AX8 Scene 1-8 function to select Scene 2, you won't need to add the separate Scene block.

I still think you may have to assign foot-switches though for each preset (drive block?) since the XL bank will not contain that data...something to consider...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom