Friedman Launches ASC-12 500-Watt Powered Monitor

Thanks for the detailed insights, very informative! Since it's not a flat response I wouldn't use it to program presets, I doubt they'd translate well to other systems. So do you program via studio monitors then use the Friedman and like the sound or do you have to make further adjustments?
I never had an issue with presets not "translating" from FOH and my ASM. Alot of times people get so nitpicky and obsessive over it, when it reality you are splitting hairs over minute measurements.

i simply prefer programming on accurate monitors so it does translate well to other systems, same as mixing a record. Was just curious about the Friedman

i simply prefer programming on accurate monitors so it does translate well to other systems, same as mixing a record. Was just curious about the Friedman

I can't really comment much on other solutions because I've only tried a few but I can tell you that the one thing the ASM-12 seems to excel in is the mids, especially for hard rock and metal. When I had a Xitone 1x12 (albeit years ago) and a Matrix NL12, I had to turn the mids down for my personal preferences.

Do you have a preference among the CLR, ASM, FR10? If so, why?

My preference in order would be: CLR, FR10, ASM

I used to use Yamaha DXR10's for a few years. They are small, relatively light, louder than any of these, built in 3 channel mixer, reasonably flat response but with a fan so nothing you want to use at home. I could easily dial in presets on my studio monitors and use them live with my DXR10's. I bought the FR10s and ASMs at the same time and did an A/B/C test with my band and with no preset tweaking everyone in the band slightly preferred the FR10 over the DXR10's with the ASM's last. The FR10 and DXR10 actually sounded very similar but the DXR10 was a bit sharper sounding and the FR10 was a bit more pleasant to listen to at volume. Really not much between them though. The ASM sounded a bit dark and a bit dull so I just wasn't cutting through the mix as well, but this was with presets tweaked with studio monitors.

When I bought my first CLR I didn't A/B test them with the band but everyone instantly noticed that I just sounded better than before. So I bought another one and now I use two at home and one with the band. Two at home is just glorious with stereo delays and things like that, that would get lost in a band context, at least in our band with two guitars. Maybe I'll start bringing two anyway. With the CLRs everything is just clearer without being harsh over the entire sound spectrum, the coax speaker spreads the sound much wider that the others, they weigh only a little bit more than the DXR10's and are slightly larger, but I can with a bit of a squeeze still fit a CLR, my Ax8 on a PT2 with a mono dual guitar bag in the trunk of my Golf.

Now, I can easily see someone preferring the ASMs over these. Especially if you're coming fresh from a tube amp/guitar speaker to the modelling world and if you're dialling in your presets on the ASM you'll probably get something you're used to the sound of quicker with the ASM. When I played at home alone I thought they sounded great and a few models that I didn't bond with before where great through the ASM.

The only reason you'd prefer the FR10 is if you're on a serious weight loss mission or your budget doesn't allow for a CLR.

I also had 2 custom build Xitones made, one 1x12 + Axe Fx 2 rack combo and one 2x8 + matrix amp combo. The 1x12 sounded awesome but came out too big for me. I didn't like the sound of the 2x8. Feel free to search the forum and you'll find pictures on both projects and please note that these where both custom projects I designed, and I got both of the wrong. I may well get Mick to build me another speaker at some point but then I'll stick to his tried and tested design instead of trying to come up with something better myself. Sound wise, I'd say the Xitone and CLR is on par, but there was a couple of years between them. I haven't listened side but my guess would be that if you get a standard Xitone build or CLR they are going to be very similar and you'd be equally happy with both.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hey great rundown Johan!

It is funny because years ago I actually wanted a CLR and was planning on getting one. Unfortunately when I was ready to buy one it was back when everyone was buying them and there wasn't one available at the time. The Friedman ASM-12 came out and I really took a chance because I was one of the first to get one and there was barely even any info out. Like you, I can see why folks would like the ASM-12 but can also see why they wouldn't because it is darker and more focused on low mids, etc.

When I got the Friedman, I was able to save a few hundred dollars so cost was definitely a consideration. I'd really like to hear one sometime up close just to do a comparison.

My preference in order would be: CLR, FR10, ASM...

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the detailed rundown, good to hear your feedback. At home I've been using Focal monitors most of the time. I can use a Matrix to power a Port City Cab (which sounds great), but recently I had gotten an H&K Grandmeister so I use it for the amp in the room sound or to just fill out my Axe sounds. I've been trying to keep up with all the FRFR developments and new products and it still seems that the CLRs are consistently rated the best sounding by those who have tried several.

I've been using CLR neo's forever and love them. I program my presets in the studio and they always translate well to the CLR's and various sound systems. Well, i took the plunge, my ASC-12 just arrived. Plugged it into my axefx, ran thru my presets and I love it. As a matter of fact I have a show this evening at the Golden Nugget in AC and I'm going for it, gonna jump right in and use it.

I've been using CLR neo's forever and love them. I program my presets in the studio and they always translate well to the CLR's and various sound systems. Well, i took the plunge, my ASC-12 just arrived. Plugged it into my axefx, ran thru my presets and I love it. As a matter of fact I have a show this evening at the Golden Nugget in AC and I'm going for it, gonna jump right in and use it.
Cool! Hope the ASC works out for you live as well. Interested in hearing your thoughts, after the show.

Show went great last night. Although I was skeptical at first, I'm really diggin' this cab. All my presets translated to this box perfectly. I wouldn't use it for programming but I didn't need any tweaks other than setting the low cut (on the Friedman) to 100Hz. That didn't take away from the lower frequencies or punch, just cleaned things up nicely. It's plenty loud too.

Although I'm very happy with my CLR's this really felt like I was playing thru a guitar amp. Definitely has the "amp in the room" feel (even though I was outdoors). I just wish it wasn't so damn heavy.

Last edited:
Show went great last night. Although I was skeptical at first, I'm really diggin' this cab. All my presets translated to this box perfectly. I wouldn't use it for programming but I didn't need any tweaks other than setting the low cut (on the Friedman) to 100Hz. That didn't take away from the lower frequencies or punch, just cleaned things up nicely. It's plenty loud too.

Although I'm very happy with my CLR's this really felt like I was playing thru a guitar amp. Definitely has the "amp in the room" feel (even though I was outdoors). I just wish it wasn't so damn heavy.

Awesome! Were you using that as a monitor and everything else FOH?

Yeah, the weight thing is my ONLY gripe. I didn't have the balls to ask Dave why it is so damn heavy when I saw him a week ago. :) I did see a commercial for this new hand truck they are selling that goes up and down stairs really easy. Would definitely be of good use with this thing. Fortunately I don't have to carry it much but if you are gigging, I can see that could be brutal.

Yes, used it as my onstage amp (monitor) and took a line out from the Friedman to FOH. The tech was very impressed with the setup. Said my tones were "excellent" and you'd never know it was a modeler going direct.

Not exactly a compact rig any more but it is awesome sounding and looking.

IMG_5647.jpg

Yes, used it as my onstage amp (monitor) and took a line out from the Friedman to FOH. The tech was very impressed with the setup. Said my tones were "excellent" and you'd never know it was a modeler going direct.

View attachment 40652
I'll have to admit, that is a sexy looking cab. So much so that I'm considering the ASC instead of the ASM. But it doesn't seem like to many stores have them in stock at the moment...

I'll have to admit, that is a sexy looking cab. So much so that I'm considering the ASC instead of the ASM. But it doesn't seem like to many stores have them in stock at the moment...

I know they're in stock at Sweetwater but I see your in Norway so I can't say.

View attachment 40652

Looks nicer than my ASM-12!!! :) I like that my ASM-12 point up toward me when I'm practicing, etc. but would be cool to have a typical looking cab like that.

Are there any comparisons between the ASC and ASM from people that have played em both back to back? I use my ASM in back line position and the ASC would probly fit much better

Are there any comparisons between the ASC and ASM from people that have played em both back to back? I use my ASM in back line position and the ASC would probly fit much better
I spoke to a guy on the forum a couple of weeks back who was an ASM owner who had just bought the ASC. According to him, they sounded pretty much the same. I totally get the benefit of the ASM and its ability to tilt back. But damn, that ASC looks good!

Yeah, the weight thing is my ONLY gripe. I didn't have the balls to ask Dave why it is so damn heavy when I saw him a week ago. :) /QUOTE]

It's a good question though; the weight of that thing will put lots of potential customers off, so you would assume there is a good reason for it.

Hi everyone
I just want a Friedman ASC-12.
Who think it’s a good investment and if I’ve got a excellent sound with my axe fx 2 plus.
Thanks to everyone.

Hi everyone
I just want a Friedman ASC-12.
Who think it’s a good investment and if I’ve got a excellent sound with my axe fx 2 plus.
Thanks to everyone.

I was in a situation where I was going to scrap my digital setup as I just couldn't get it sounding the way I like. I went through many "FRFR" speakers and none of them did it for me, CLR, Xitone, Matrix, Powercab+, etc. Not that they sounded bad, they didn't, there was just something missing for me. Last ditch effort was the ASC-10. DONE!!!!! Sounds incredible. Might not be flat but I play guitar through it, so I'm not concerned about that. Sounds closest to a real guitar cab that I've tried. Good luck man.

Back
Top Bottom