Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 8.02 Firmware Release

Do you mean Matrix Amp and Matrix Cab? Or just a regular Guitar Cab? Was it a vintage 30?

Regards
Matrix GT 1000 and Matrix 2x12 full range cab. Last week I tried using a regular guitar cab with vintage 30 celestions and also my single 25 greenback cab instead of the Matrix cab but still using the GT1000. I preferred the full range Matrix cab and the particular IR's I use a lot more. Thinking about whether I should sell my vox and cabinets now as they gather dust

Last edited:
Any info on whats over the horizon for Fractal Cliff? Perhaps a new SuperUltra Axe-Fx III unit? New amps you are possibly considering for the future updates for Ax-Fx II? Seems quiet on the front, vacation time or brainstorming time?

Any info on whats over the horizon for Fractal Cliff? Perhaps a new SuperUltra Axe-Fx III unit? New amps you are possibly considering for the future updates for Ax-Fx II? Seems quiet on the front, vacation time or brainstorming time?

My guess would be Cliff is looking at something new with a better UI experience. I think a lot of fuss has been made (and rightfully so) about the Helix and how nice it "looks" compared to the Fractal stuff. Now you've got the Headrush thing with the fancy UI getting attention. A buddy of mine has been using a POD XT Live for years and sat in with my band one night and was blown away by the tone of my Axe-II. He decided he wanted to get something new and now he's actually buying the Headrush because the fancy screen sold him on it. I tried to tell him it's really just a reworked Digi Eleven Rack and won't sound nearly as good as the Axe-8 and he doesn't care. He thinks it will be "good enough" but "that touch screen is so cool!".

I'll stick with Fractal because I couldn't be happier with my tone and that is the most important to me, but I'll be honest and say I REALLY wish I had a foot controller that had scribble strips and was illuminated. I constantly have trouble seeing my MFC on stage and the glow in the dark magnetic labels don't work very well.

I've been tempted to keep the Axe for recording and switch to the Helix for live simply to see things better on stage, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm so happy with my tone both on stage and through the PA that I'm not going to change.

Cliff, if you're reading this, PLEASE come out with something with a modern "dark stage friendly" UI and you can take my money. :)

Last edited:
My guess would be Cliff is looking at something new with a better UI experience. I think a lot of fuss has been made (and rightfully so) about the Helix and how nice it "looks" compared to the Fractal stuff. Now you've got the Headrush thing with the fancy UI getting attention. A buddy of mine has been using a POD XT Live for years and sat in with my band one night and was blown away by the tone of my Axe-II. He decided he wanted to get something new and now he's actually buying the Headrush because the fancy screen sold him on it. I tried to tell him it's really just a reworked Digi Eleven Rack and won't sound nearly as good as the Axe-8 and he doesn't care. He thinks it will be "good enough" but "that touch screen is so cool!".

I'll stick with Fractal because I couldn't be happier with my tone and that is the most important to me, but I'll be honest and say I REALLY wish I had a foot controller that had scribble strips and was illuminated. I constantly have trouble seeing my MFC on stage and the glow in the dark magnetic labels don't work very well.

I've been tempted to keep the Axe for recording and switch to the Helix for live simply to see things better on stage, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm so happy with my tone both on stage and through the PA that I'm not going to change.

Cliff, if you're reading this, PLEASE come out with something with a modern "dark stage friendly" UI and you can take my money. :)
All that fancy stuff doesn't matter to me. I've been stomping on pedals for decades and I don't have trouble seeing even when the stage is dark.

In my case, I'm supposed to wear contact lenses but I don't when we play due to the smoke. I can see ok (about 20/30) but I can't read the writing/labels on my MFC when the light is dim, so that's where seeing different illuminated colors would really help me.

In my case, I'm supposed to wear contact lenses but I don't when we play due to the smoke. I can see ok (about 20/30) but I can't read the writing/labels on my MFC when the light is dim, so that's where seeing different illuminated colors would really help me.

I had to get rid of my beloved liquidfoot 12+ because of the strips were too small... got the RJM mastermind 16 now and i can read it fine. colors help too.

All that fancy stuff doesn't matter to me. I've been stomping on pedals for decades and I don't have trouble seeing even when the stage is dark.
As long as I can see what preset/scene I am on. That is all I need.

$1900 for a MIDI foot controller. That is a tad bit pricey.

I agree. I researched several midi foot controllers including that, the Liquid Foot, etc. I ended up getting an FCB1010. It's about 100 € or so (115 USD). It's been great. No other controller offers two built in pedals, five of the 10 program buttons are on the first row (important for me). Nothing else comes close at that price. Programming is not hard ...contrary to what you hear. No after-market chip either.

The only thing I'm missing is the feature the expensive ones have: a color coded text field over each button. The price jump (over ten fold) was just too great for me to justify a unit with that feature.

I'm also very satisfied with this firmware and like not having to adjust presets. And I'm hoping development for future updates would be adding new amps and effects. Or revisiting the drive pedals.

I agree. I researched several midi foot controllers including that, the Liquid Foot, etc. I ended up getting an FCB1010. It's about 100 € or so (115 USD). It's been great. No other controller offers two built in pedals, five of the 10 program buttons are on the first row (important for me). Nothing else comes close at that price. Programming is not hard ...contrary to what you hear. No after-market chip either.

The only thing I'm missing is the feature the expensive ones have: a color coded text field over each button. The price jump (over ten fold) was just too great for me to justify a unit with that feature.

The $30 for the UNO chip is well worth it just to get "stompbox mode". Installing the chip is a breeze, too.

The RJM would be overkill for some people, but the paging and ability to have it on different pages per preset make it invaluable to me. It can do anything I dream up. Only on this rock once ;)

+1 Never have a problem reading the MFC at outdoor daytime gigs of dark stages. Sound first then functionality rules! Style should be a reflection of function!

The RJM would be overkill for some people, but the paging and ability to have it on different pages per preset make it invaluable to me. It can do anything I dream up. Only on this rock once ;)

I've written it so many times already. The RJM MM/GT is such a great device. Because it supports my workflow instead of the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom