Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.01 Firmware Release

I could not agree more! I'm beginning to wonder why I paid the extra money for this XL+! Perhaps we should've been more vocal like the MK II players.

Room for 500 cabs , lower noise floor, all super valuable to me. As a Mkll owner I have to remove user cabs to audition some of the great new ones. Your in a great position really!!

Room for 500 cabs , lower noise floor, all super valuable to me. As a Mkll owner I have to remove user cabs to audition some of the great new ones. Your in a great position really!!

Yes, we all are.

Your worst problem is that you can't dial back to earlier FW at will...and you have to dial in the amps in the new FW. Not a terrible problem.

Cliff, what about adding an optical mode to the amp's output comp? :p

Come on folks, FW has been out for just over 24 hours, and you're asking for new stuff? Post in wish list if you think it's something you want, but don't do it here please.

I could not agree more! I'm beginning to wonder why I paid the extra money for this XL+! Perhaps we should've been more vocal like the MK II players.
Roll back to 7! I'm sure the memory intensive multiple FW versions were a huge headache for Cliff & FAS to deal with and burned up a lot of time that could have been used for updating/adding other cool effects!

Last edited:
But is it worth 1000 bucks? I mean really $1000 more? Because I can find a MK II online for that difference and given the number of owners on these forums who screamed outrage when they lost out to the modeling ability of previous FW versions, it does make one wonder...

But is it worth 1000 bucks? I mean really $1000 more? Because I can find a MK II online for that difference and given the number of owners on these forums who screamed outrage when they lost out to the modeling ability of previous FW versions, it does make one wonder...
It was a nice add on being able to role back any preset 3 FW's but the XL(+) is also running out of memory to add things so as happened with the MK II loosing roll back if they want to update, this has to happen to the XL(+). I just didn't think it would happen so soon but as a gigging musician, I am happy I have a newer Axe with the added features. Those that decided to upgraded earlier lost less (only $500 for some).

It was a nice add on being able to role back any preset 3 FW's but the XL(+) is also running out of memory to add things so as happened with the MK II loosing roll back if they want to update, this has to happen to the XL(+). I just didn't think it would happen so soon but as a gigging musician, I am happy I have a newer Axe with the added features. Those that decided to upgraded earlier lost less (only $500 for some).
Was it officially stated somewhere that the XL is running out of memory? My interpretation of the removal was simply that with everyone's reactions to how great 7 sounded Cliff just felt it was time. And a side effect of that is that it would also free up space for even more future advancements. But I didn't get the impression that the XL's were running critically low on memory.

So your essentially complaining about people who complained about missing out on something, because.... you feel those people's complaints now caused you to miss on something ?

Sell your XL+ then, pick up a used MKII, and enjoy spending the grand on other things. But, at some point there are going to be some updates that the MKII won't be able to use, and that previous XL+ you sold can, and then you can join in the outrage as a MKII owner next time around.

Nothing Cliff Chase ever does is going to be 100% approved of. I mean heck, suppose he does announce a MK3 sometime in the future, someone, somewhere is going to be pissed because they bought an XL+ and "would of waited had they known". The man makes decisions that he believes to be the right move, and that a majority of his customers approve of. You were literally the first person I've come across that complained about removing the older modeling versions. As Cliff said, most people don't seem to use it, so he removed it. Not to spite you, not to discount your need of the feature, but just because everyone else said they'd rather have new features than the ability to go backwards.

Someone is unhappy about something....welcome to the internet

Was it officially stated somewhere that the XL is running out of memory?

It wasn't explicitly stated but it was implied.

NOTE: Due to the overwhelmingly positive response to Quantum 7.00 support for previous modeling versions has been eliminated. This frees up memory for new features (like the new compressor types), new amps, new cabs and more.

This whole argument/discussion about older modelling algorithms makes no sense to me. It's like saying, I want both fuel injectors and a carburetor in my car, just in case I want to drive with the carburetor once in a while or both power steering and manual steering, just in case I need an arm workout.

Cliff and crew spend an inordinate amount of time refining the modelling algorithms so they get closer and closer to the real deal. Why would you want to use older algorithms and why wouldn't you want new features?

But is it worth 1000 bucks? I mean really $1000 more? Because I can find a MK II online for that difference...
Ah, so it's not just more capacity and features that we're talking about. It's also new vs. used. And current vs. discontinued.

Is it worth it to get a new, fully warrantied, current product instead of a less capable, used, discontinued model with no warranty from an unknown seller? Only you can decide that. To be honest, if the only difference you care about is the ability use older modeling versions (a feature that isn't even listed in the literature, and didn't exist at all for a long time), you probably made the wrong decision.

...and given the number of owners on these forums who screamed outrage when they lost out to the modeling ability of previous FW versions, it does make one wonder...
Given the number of owners who screamed outrage, I'd say there wasn't much outrage at all. Some were disappointed, and they expressed their disappointment.

Last edited:
Are people seriously bitching about buying an XL(+) ?

Come on....

I'm happy as hell that I did (and sold my II for basically exactly what I paid for it 3 years prior) if just for the extra IR slots.

First world problems....
Either you can't read or you are intentionally setting up a straw dog. Previously, I agreed with an earlier complaint regarding the decision to eliminate the ability to utilize previous modeling versions. I, along with many other users, enjoyed this feature and found it extremely helpful in the recording process (i.e. time savings). You sir needn't act with such hostility simply because I am not fawning over this decision. I have purchased each and every version of the Axe-Fx that has been released (something that many of the MK II users can't state). Therefore, my support of this company is not in question. I respectfully reserve the right to disagree with ANY decision that the creator has made. This doesn't mean I am going to burn the hardware or engage in any other melodramatic act. Sadly, I am finding that any disagreement, or hint that things aren't perfect, automatically results in a deluge of hostile comments that border on bullying. Your sophomoric critique is further evidence that we are living in the world of Trump.

Either you can't read or you are intentionally setting up a straw dog. Previously, I agreed with an earlier complaint regarding the decision to eliminate the ability to utilize previous modeling versions. I, along with many other users, enjoyed this feature and found it extremely helpful in the recording process (i.e. time savings). You sir needn't act with such hostility simply because I am not fawning over this decision. I have purchased each and every version of the Axe-Fx that has been released (something that many of the MK II users can't state). Therefore, my support of this company is not in question. I respectfully reserve the right to disagree with ANY decision that the creator has made. This doesn't mean I am going to burn the hardware or engage in any other melodramatic act. Sadly, I am finding that any disagreement, or hint that things aren't perfect, automatically results in a deluge of hostile comments that border on bullying. Your sophomoric critique is further evidence that we are living in the world of Trump.

Chill out, Waldo.

Jeeeez.

It wasn't explicitly stated but it was implied.

This whole argument/discussion about older modelling algorithms makes no sense to me. It's like saying, I want both a fuel injectors and a carburetor in my car, just in case I want to drive with the carburetor once in a while or both power steering and manual steering, just in case I need an arm workout.

Cliff and crew spend an inordinate amount of time refining the modelling algorithms so they get closer and closer to the real deal. Why would you want to use older algorithms and why wouldn't you want new features?
I said from the beginning that when cliff felt it was time then I would accept it. But just because it makes no sense to YOU, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense for someone else...
For guys with a lot of presets that make a living with their axe I completely get why removing it would effect them.

Was it officially stated somewhere that the XL is running out of memory? My interpretation of the removal was simply that with everyone's reactions to how great 7 sounded Cliff just felt it was time. And a side effect of that is that it would also free up space for even more future advancements. But I didn't get the impression that the XL's were running critically low on memory.
Yes, not specifically stated! I am hoping it is a case of too much hassle vs not enough memory. The reason Cliff did FW rollback in the first place was to appease the complainers and I'm guessing he wouldn't take the complaints again unless he had too.

Back
Top Bottom