Proof of concept: Viewing AX8 Contents on a web browser

Nero

Inspired
**UPDATE**
PM me if you'd like to beta test it!

This is just a proof of concept I wanted to share, i've been working on an arduino foot controller and since i'm a web programmer I figured I'd try using a web browser to view the contents of my AX8 using a browser pluging for MIDI capability.

It reads the preset name, bank/preset/scene numbers and shows all blocks being used and their status, it also updates in real time, also i even have a poor man's tuner view lol

The downside is it only works on Desktop/Laptop you can't run it on an mobile device, for that you have FracPad

Also there's no editing or controlling of the AX8 thru it, it's just a view, i've been using it as a way to see information from the front panel in larger text and because it doesn't request a lot of data from the AX8 it doesn't product any clicks. I can see it as simpler alternative to AX8-Edit specially live to see the preset name/numer etc in large text without going into the AX8's display.

I'll put together the file and i'll share it, so far it's only tested on Mac/Safari, also you shouldn't use it at the same time as you use AX8-edit, it should work with the AXE-FX altho i can't guarantee it since i don't own one.

**UPDATE**
Ok so I ended up changing things up a bit and compiling it as a native app from the HTML source, this means there's no need for the browser plugin and it runs as a standalone app instead of a browser app.

I have both a mac and windows version, but i don't have a windows machine to test it with so i will need some help with people who are comfortable beta testing.

Also it's only tested with the AX8 but it should work with the Axe FX XL/XL+ and FX8, i could use some help testing it with those.

Keep in mind, this is free software and it's provided as-is, I'm not responsible for any damage to any equipment so try it if you are comfortable with alpha/beta testing.

all you have to do is choose your device from the dropdown and the MIDI input and output for that device ex. "AX8 MIDI" the midi input and output have to be the same, then hit connect, when you are don't you can click disconnect or just quit the program, make sure you quit the program or click disconnect before connecting to AX8-edit.

**CURRENT BUGS**
-

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 4.47.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-17 at 4.47.41 PM.png

Last edited:
Could be cool for using with the Axe-Fx II or XL(+) as well.
If you hav a foot controller without the little screens this could show you what blocks are in the preset and you would just have to organize your switches to match the layout of the blocks

The downside is it only works on Desktop/Laptop you can't run it on an mobile device, for that you have FracPad
So... why exactly is this?

Is it not a client-side web app? Because if it's self-contained, there's no reason why you can't wrap it up in to an iOS app. Heck, you could even host it online and still have it connect to a locally attached AX-8.

that looks great. i wonder....can you pull the amp type, cab type, delay type etc and display those as well as the x/y states?

So... why exactly is this?

Is it not a client-side web app? Because if it's self-contained, there's no reason why you can't wrap it up in to an iOS app. Heck, you could even host it online and still have it connect to a locally attached AX-8.

It's the MIDI communication that doesn't work on mobile browser

Hej Nero,

I worked on a similar application a few months back, I got editing working as well though. Let me know if you'd like to team up and build something, I lost momentum working on my own
Thanks! the reason i didn't go with full editing is that we already have AX8-edit, I wanted to create a lightweight version that would only allow to see the preset name and so on in big fonts, if i add editing then it would require more sysex messages sent back and forth, by keeping it lightweight it avoids causing audio clicks etc.

Wow what a MVP post! This just proves that the FAS community is second to none! I'll b waiting patiently for your Mac release!

Being able to run that up on my iPad with USB to the AX8 would be very convenient at rehearsal so I could easily tweak some params - wonderful. I know there are windows tablets out there but that is an expense - I've already got an ipad or iphone ... great ideas here.

Back
Top Bottom