Fremen AX8 presets released

Yes, my video capture software only record in .wmv. In fact there's also a loss in sound quality

I hate to do this, but I have too.

So, I have been sharing presets since 2009, for Axe Standard/Ultra, and 2010, for Axe II. All my banks, that is, which was quite unique, and they became somewhat popular – I don't like to brag about it, but many times I recorded up to 5 000 visits in less than a week on my blog (where the files were downloaded) after a new release. Besides the numerous kudos on the forums, I also received literally thousands of private emails, sometimes asking technical questions, many times just thanking me for helping them to keep the Axe they were going to sell, just because of my presets. Some of those users of my sounds became good friends and we sometimes even exchange mails that are not guitar related.

So, after using a free donation system, I decided to go (semi)professional with my presets. I'm saying "semi" because, it's true, I don't have a proper website to sell them ; instead, I manually send a link each time I receive a payment. I decided to do this for two reasons : 1) there's a enormous work besides all those presets, you have no idea (I have severe OCD and I can work for straight 12 hours a day on presets, instead of going to the beach like my friends do). I don't have to update all these presets because I don't use most of them, but I took the habit to do it because people were counting on them ; 2) and yes, I need money. I live in an emerging African country, my monthly pay is not even 1 000 dollars, and I can lose my job at any time – I work in a newspaper which used to print 40 000 copies daily and now print 8 000 (and probably sells only half of it), 30 of my colleagues were fired in January and I don't know who's next. So that money is a sort of psychological safety, it helps me to know that if ever I lose my job, I will still be able to repay my monthly apartment loan for some time.

Which brings me to the part I like the less. I received this mail from someone who just bought my AX8 presets, apparently a new Fractal user (after three previous mails where I explained to him how to use Fractal Bot) :

Him : I want my money back. This is way too fucking complicated and requires the purchase of commercial cabs to install properly. I dont have a hope of getting these to work.

Me : did you watch the "sending cabs" video included in Dropbox ? You don't even need to use Fractal Bot to send the cabs, a drag and drop will do. And you don't need commercial cabs if you use the "Alternate banks".

Him : There was no video in the dropbox that I could see. What was it called?

Me : (I send him a screenshot of the dropbox folder). You should also have read the "IMPORTANT - read me ! ! !.txt" text file. It explains everything

Him : Yeah, but you can't read that till to pay and get the dropbox link.
Him : I'll revisit tommorow and keep to posted

Me : Watch this :
1) ( direct link to the dropbox video showing how to send cabs into Axe Manage
2)

But if it's still too complicated for you, let me know

Him : (after watching my "sending cabs" video) : Where do I get this axe-manage:cabs software?
Him : Axe-manage cabs is not available in ax8 edit. It is only available for the axe-fx.Please give me my money back. Your video does not work for the ax8

Me (after receiving a Paypal dispute claim) : Axe manage works in AX8 edit. Click on tools/Cab Manage
I was going to propose to send you two files : one with all the presets, the other with all the free cabs
but yeah I can give you your money back (…)

Finally, the guy admits to me that he's "incompetent with technology. I struggle a lot but I am trying to learn"

I have absolutely no problem refunding someone, even if he will keep my presets and will probably find a way to make them work for him. But jeez, these kind of things pumps so much of my energy that after that, all I want is to stop all this and do presets for myself only…

Apologies for the whining. I'm just feeling very very tired.

If you buy any product in the Fractal catalogue called something with Ax.... you should at least read part of the manuals or take a given time to learn the product.

Its great you refound the money but you didn't have too. Your presets and cabs works perfect. If some buyer lacks the technical insight or havent prepared himself for using the Ax product, he will fail! Its not your fault.

Im a happy Fremen preset customer, keep up the good work. Im a big fan of the "scene" presets, please do a full pack of those on a lot more amps and I will yet again be a happy buyer! :)

I didn't refund the money yet because as a matter of principle I'm still trying to help the guy, I even proposed to do it by skype… He doesn't have any sound right now, even with presets which doesn't have any cab block. So the problem is definitively elsewhere…

Im a big fan of the "scene" presets, please do a full pack of those on a lot more amps and I will yet again be a happy buyer! :)
That's an idea. I was also thinking of doing a small acoustic pack that would work with many guitars, using different sources for tonematching. However I'm probably close to a burnout and should take a rest from presets programming for some time… Since January, I've worked on my presets pack for Amplifire, the one for Axe-Fx (two versions of three banks), the recent XL version of the Axe-Fx presets, plus I updated the Axe-Fx and AX8 stock presets, and some private works I can't even talk about

No rush - I hope you earn at least a little for the big effort. I'd be happy to welcome some acoustic pack/strings pack maybe with banjos and citars! :)
More 5 scenes are welcome... but take your time!

But jeez, these kind of things pumps so much of my energy that after that, all I want is to stop all this and do presets for myself only…

It's rough going from doing something for the fun of it to running a business. The AX8 is a new and 'hot' product with a steep learning curve. It's inevitable that this will happen, and it will happen often.

That probably cheers you up about as much as the clap, so...

My Axe-FX II and my AX8 simply wouldn't be the same without the incredible work you've done. Thanks for your hard work and for sharing your expertise. :D

I hate to do this, but I have too.

So, I have been sharing presets since 2009, for Axe Standard/Ultra, and 2010, for Axe II. All my banks, that is, which was quite unique, and they became somewhat popular – I don't like to brag about it, but many times I recorded up to 5 000 visits in less than a week on my blog (where the files were downloaded) after a new release. Besides the numerous kudos on the forums, I also received literally thousands of private emails, sometimes asking technical questions, many times just thanking me for helping them to keep the Axe they were going to sell, just because of my presets. Some of those users of my sounds became good friends and we sometimes even exchange mails that are not guitar related.

So, after using a free donation system, I decided to go (semi)professional with my presets. I'm saying "semi" because, it's true, I don't have a proper website to sell them ; instead, I manually send a link each time I receive a payment. I decided to do this for two reasons : 1) there's a enormous work besides all those presets, you have no idea (I have severe OCD and I can work for straight 12 hours a day on presets, instead of going to the beach like my friends do). I don't have to update all these presets because I don't use most of them, but I took the habit to do it because people were counting on them ; 2) and yes, I need money. I live in an emerging African country, my monthly pay is not even 1 000 dollars, and I can lose my job at any time – I work in a newspaper which used to print 40 000 copies daily and now print 8 000 (and probably sells only half of it), 30 of my colleagues were fired in January and I don't know who's next. So that money is a sort of psychological safety, it helps me to know that if ever I lose my job, I will still be able to repay my monthly apartment loan for some time.

Which brings me to the part I like the less. I received this mail from someone who just bought my AX8 presets, apparently a new Fractal user (after three previous mails where I explained to him how to use Fractal Bot) :

Him : I want my money back. This is way too fucking complicated and requires the purchase of commercial cabs to install properly. I dont have a hope of getting these to work.

Me : did you watch the "sending cabs" video included in Dropbox ? You don't even need to use Fractal Bot to send the cabs, a drag and drop will do. And you don't need commercial cabs if you use the "Alternate banks".

Him : There was no video in the dropbox that I could see. What was it called?

Me : (I send him a screenshot of the dropbox folder). You should also have read the "IMPORTANT - read me ! ! !.txt" text file. It explains everything

Him : Yeah, but you can't read that till to pay and get the dropbox link.
Him : I'll revisit tommorow and keep to posted

Me : Watch this :
1) ( direct link to the dropbox video showing how to send cabs into Axe Manage
2)

But if it's still too complicated for you, let me know

Him : (after watching my "sending cabs" video) : Where do I get this axe-manage:cabs software?
Him : Axe-manage cabs is not available in ax8 edit. It is only available for the axe-fx.Please give me my money back. Your video does not work for the ax8

Me (after receiving a Paypal dispute claim) : Axe manage works in AX8 edit. Click on tools/Cab Manage
I was going to propose to send you two files : one with all the presets, the other with all the free cabs
but yeah I can give you your money back (…)

Finally, the guy admits to me that he's "incompetent with technology. I struggle a lot but I am trying to learn"

I have absolutely no problem refunding someone, even if he will keep my presets and will probably find a way to make them work for him. But jeez, these kind of things pumps so much of my energy that after that, all I want is to stop all this and do presets for myself only…

Sorry to hear that you had to go through all of that. I love your work and think there's great value in what you are providing. I guess Fractal products, and modelers in general are probably not for everyone, and maybe not a good choice for the technophobic user. I am no expert but I have been using many different modelers & multi-effects devices for many years, and I am finding that although the Fractal products (AX8 in my case) are very deep, I am getting some very compelling tones without having to get real deep into the finer adjustments. In that regard, I would think they would be a great choice for the novice, but maybe they're just not for everyone, and it sounds like your presets are not the real cause of this person's unhappiness.

You are putting out a quality product of real value, that maybe not everyone is in a position to appreciate fully. Not your problem, you still have many satisfied and loyal customers. You can't win them all...

For what it's worth, I would be very happy to see what you come up with for the aforementioned acoustic & multi-scene presets when and if you are ready to do them.

Thanks !
I spent almost two hours this morning backing up my AX8, then loading the old "All Presets - alternate" backup, updating it with the latest version of some banks, exporting it, doing screenshots on how to send presets and cabs to the AX8 using Fractal Bot etc for the guy... I'm uploading that new "All Presets - alternate" backup to Dropbox right now, for those interested

For every person who complains there are many hundreds, thousands even, who appreciate and value your work and commitment Thebault. Your presets are inspirational and I have always found you to be professional and friendly. I'm sure I speak for the majority. Just remember you can never please everyone in this life. I am truly grateful to you.

For the record, it wasn't me! I ran out of time last week and plan to tackle and pay for your presets this week! Your work and the work of others on this forum is what is making the journey so rewarding and fun! I had some crazy tone going last night thanks to help of my forum brothers! Please know far more people appreciate your work and help. Being in small business, I can tell you that you always get that "one" customer that becomes a pain in the ass. Remember he's only one! You are to be commended for your work!

done too :)

I recorded this today :

I wanted to do this for a while, playing all the parts (minus drums and bass) with the same guitar, using only an Axe-Fx. Finally I did it on the AX8

Hi Fremen, may I ask do you have Satriani tone( clean, ryhrhm and lead) in this buddle?

Also I'm in Pink Floyd jam band, which presets/songs you have already?

Chees love your youtube video!!

Hi Fremen, may I ask do you have Satriani tone( clean, ryhrhm and lead) in this buddle?

Also I'm in Pink Floyd jam band, which presets/songs you have already?

Chees love your youtube video!!
Thanks ! I have one preset using the Satriani amp model, I used that for my "Always with me cover". For Pink Floyd I have these : Comfortably Numb, Wish you were here, Brain damage, Shine on you crazy diamond, Time, On the turning away, The Wall I & II

Back
Top Bottom