Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.02 Firmware Release

This is what I would like to know. Installed 2.02 and played thru a few presets--Vox's, Triptik, etc. Things sounded 'off' and I didn't have time to mess with it, so I went back to 2.01 where everything was sounding great.

I don't mind making some tweaks for 2.02, but is it just the HARMONICS setting or what else?

I did not reselect the amp models. Did I need to do that to possibly fix things?
I know you say you didn't have time, but can you describe the "off" a bit? I installed 2.02 on my AX8 and turned basic knobs until things sounded good, same as I do on every other firmware. And I'm not at all saying I'm better or more correct haha not at all! Just wondering where the disconnect is as some other people just "can't" use 2.02 compared to 2.01.

tone wise my main presets didn't seem to get touched in major way by Q2.02
they sounded great before, and great after...

interestingly, I have a couple of presets with some mid-gain amps with MV Location = Post PI
these got hit drastically
in Q2.00 they are great, Q2.01 muddied them and they needed messing with to restore them..
only last Friday I was considering making other amp choices to replace them with cos they just stopped cutting it..
in Q2.02 they're back to being sexy again..

So it seems to be that I´m the bad boy.........ha ha......I also think that one opinion from one person can´t change a Firmware.....but .maybe the opinions of the Pro-Players like Satriani, Vai etc?

On last thing:
I would never "complain" about the sound of the axe - I´m just comparing what would be better or worse in my opinion...
The sound and feel ist vey important for me, cause I got no real amp I could go to if i don´t like sound. I play it every day an my ears are still ok, so I listen very deep to changes in Firmwares.

And - I was not the first and not the only one at FW 2.01 who was talking about the harmonieknob and its defaultsettings....just re-read this thread.........

Let´s go back to the amps and sounds of the axe...........more important..........

Increasing the harmonic parameter actually decreses crunchness and the result is a stiffer feel with less breakup - at least that's my perception
cliff has said a higher value softens up the preamp distortion, it also drops the volume for me as well so maybe try bringing it up to compensate?

Reactions: RDH
i'm pretty sure that the new "Harmonics" parameter is not directly related to something like Pinch Harmonics on the guitar. i've seen a few people mention a direct correlation there, and i don't think there is one necessarily. the word "harmonics" has many uses, and i think this one is focusing on things that happen in the amp, and not the guitar.

I can definitely understand why folks who set up patches in 2.01 hear a difference in 2.02. I had to change some things. But it is easier for me to dial in highs without stridency in the new firmware. Edge of breakup patches seem to benefit more from reducing the preamp tube hardness, but that's easy. The harmonics I tend to just leave at 0 for the most part.

I'm trying hard to understand what the "harmonics" parameter is really doing - as I dial it up - it appears to soften the distortion/take away grit. Is that correct?

If I starve the transformer a little I seem to get it back ... but I move over to "crunch" and I don't seem to get more distortion, so am I just making a fricken' mess? Am I fighting against competing values or is it more complicated/detailed? Would love to know; still trying to learn.

And, none of this is a complaint - I love this stuff/magic black box ... it's just intellectual curiosity and learning for me which I really enjoy. I'm digging the ride. :)

i'm pretty sure that the new "Harmonics" parameter is not directly related to something like Pinch Harmonics on the guitar. i've seen a few people mention a direct correlation there, and i don't think there is one necessarily. the word "harmonics" has many uses, and i think this one is focusing on things that happen in the amp, and not the guitar.

It may not be meant to be related, but it definitely brings them out more when you increase the value. For example, depending on the amp you use, 0 gives you more of a Billy gibbons pinch harm, 500+ with a little more gain gives you van Halen chokes and screams.

This, in my opinion, highly accentuates what you get from a 12ax7 front end. If you use an amp with less tube characteristics, the harmonics knob can help you control how your more transient oriented pick attacks can convey themselves.

When you do pinch harmonics, you can really hear how the harmonic knob is working to my ears, which is why I brought the pinch harm term into the discussion. People need to know what to listen for and I thought that might be a good way to explain it as well as tell others what to listen for. :)

I'm trying hard to understand what the "harmonics" parameter is really doing - as I dial it up - it appears to soften the distortion/take away grit. Is that correct?

If I starve the transformer a little I seem to get it back ... but I move over to "crunch" and I don't seem to get more distortion, so am I just making a fricken' mess? Am I fighting against competing values or is it more complicated/detailed? Would love to know; still trying to learn.

And, none of this is a complaint - I love this stuff/magic black box ... it's just intellectual curiosity and learning for me which I really enjoy. I'm digging the ride. :)
from 2.01's release notes "Improved tube interaction modeling. A new parameter, “Harmonics”, controls the amount of interaction. Higher values yield softer distortion. The default value is set for each amp model but may be overridden."

from 2.01's release notes "Improved tube interaction modeling. A new parameter, “Harmonics”, controls the amount of interaction. Higher values yield softer distortion. The default value is set for each amp model but may be overridden."

Yup; I hear it ... question is, am I making poor decisions/fighting a losing battle when I move over to other parameter like dynamics, presence, crunch, x-former match (or even more basic e.g. pre-amp vs/ power amp controls)?

When seeking the balance of grit, edge of break-up to beautiful creamy (harmonic) distortion, what am I really doing? Perhaps a better question what are the basic rules and guiding principles to be half-way intelligent about tone crafting?

I've created some great patches and tones (love these fw updates); would just like to be a little more educated about it (and less qualitative).

When you do pinch harmonics, you can really hear how the harmonic knob is working to my ears, which is why I brought the pinch harm term into the discussion. People need to know what to listen for and I thought that might be a good way to explain it as well as tell others what to listen for. :)

Danny, would be great to hear what you are talking about?

maybe a short recording, a few notes to different styles (VH, ZZ Top as you said)...

Yup; I hear it ... question is, am I making poor decisions/fighting a losing battle when I move over to other parameter like dynamics, presence, crunch, x-former match (or even more basic e.g. pre-amp vs/ power amp controls)?

When seeking the balance of grit, edge of break-up to beautiful creamy (harmonic) distortion, what am I really doing? Perhaps a better question what are the basic rules and guiding principles to be half-way intelligent about tone crafting?

I've created some great patches and tones; would just like to be a little more educated about it and less qualitative.

Though I totally think you're asking valid questions, I say let your ears be the judge. I have never based any of my tone decisions on guiding principals or any type of set formula. I'm not saying that would be a bad thing, but to me, having a "do what sounds best by breaking rules" is what gave us some of the best tones known to man.

Though we can't break any rules using our fractal gear, we have killer tools to make our tones do whatever we want.

As for the harmonic knob, in a nutshell for me....I think of it as a presence knob of sorts for my pre-amp section. 0 is more meaty with a little of a mid/warmer sound. Higher numbers from 460 and above will give you a bit of a high end type of sound where certain things you do (any hard picked sections or pinch harmonics) will be more apparent with a bit of tightening with less of the warmth you get at 0.

All the above is just my personal take and is in no way factual.

Danny, would be great to hear what you are talking about?

maybe a short recording, a few notes to different styles (VH, ZZ Top as you said)...

Sure man....but I don't think I can do anything until tomorrow. I promised wifey I'd hang with her today and tonight. I'm sneaking off to the bathroom each time to respond. She just yelled "you can't be pooping again.....that's 6 times today pal....you posting on fractal forums again?!" Lol!

i think this is the "struggle" for the guy who does want to mess with advanced parameters. personally, i just try different amps until i find one that has the qualities i want. i really don't mess with any advanced parameters these days.

i do want to comment for those new to advanced parameters, that just because we have this new Harmonics parameter doesn't mean we have to use it, or that using it will give us benefits or detriments. it is a new optional control. i don't think that because we have it, only now can we achieve certain tones as compared to before when we didn't have it.

it's great to explore the possibilities of new controls given to us by FAS. but remember that we got great tones before this new control, so we might not have to (or want to) touch it at all :)

Though I totally think you're asking valid questions, I say let your ears be the judge. I have never based any of my tone decisions on guiding principals or any type of set formula. I'm not saying that would be a bad thing, but to me, having a "do what sounds best by breaking rules" is what gave us some of the best tones known to man.

Though we can't break any rules using our fractal gear, we have killer tools to make our tones do whatever we want.

As for the harmonic knob, in a nutshell for me....I think of it as a presence knob of sorts for my pre-amp section. 0 is more meaty with a little of a mid/warmer sound. Higher numbers from 460 and above will give you a bit of a high end type of sound where certain things you do (any hard picked sections or pinch harmonics) will be more apparent with a bit of tightening with less of the warmth you get at 0.

All the above is just my personal take and is in no way factual.

Totally get what you are saying on "rules". And I wouldn't use "rules" to set the tone, just to know what's it's doing would help me dial in quicker in a knowledgeable way vs. trying every permutation of knob twisting. I haven't got that much time to live ;)

You have been quite helpful actually with specific references as to what you hear each parameter doing, and even the specific values you are using. Keep 'em coming please. Thanks!

Last edited:
i think this is the "struggle" for the guy who does want to mess with advanced parameters. personally, i just try different amps until i find one that has the qualities i want. i really don't mess with any advanced parameters these days.

i do want to comment for those new to advanced parameters, that just because we have this new Harmonics parameter doesn't mean we have to use it, or that using it will give us benefits or detriments. it is a new optional control. i don't think that because we have it, only now can we achieve certain tones as compared to before when we didn't have it.

it's great to explore the possibilities of new controls given to us by FAS. but remember that we got great tones before this new control, so we might not have to (or want to) touch it at all :)

Yup; I have great tones already - I guess I just get greedy with new toys :)

New tools makes me think I can get mo' betta tones :)

Sure man....but I don't think I can do anything until tomorrow. I promised wifey I'd hang with her today and tonight. I'm sneaking off to the bathroom each time to respond. She just yelled "you can't be pooping again.....that's 6 times today pal....you posting on fractal forums again?!" Lol!

Yes, the axe is maybe the best solution for guitarsounds, but not for the rest of your life......

Relaxe ...... 2.02 was only posted yesterday...........

Back
Top Bottom