Long USB cables?

According to USB spec, the longest you can get is 5 meters. If you need a longer run, you'll want to put a USB hub in: cable -> hub -> more cable. It may work going longer, but you'll probably run into USB timing issues and all sorts of flakyness.

Are there any better USB cables than standard, thin wires? Better shielded or sth? Mine does nasty things to the sound, when plugged into PC and AX8 (lots of noise, bit of hum, I can even hear the HDD operating in my loudspeaker! :-/ )

I've used active repeater USB cables to get runs of 35 feet PLUS the 15 foot max on the "regular" USB cable. That's 50 feet in total. Naturally, this might not work for every possible device in the world, but I've had no problems in my studio (AxeFX <-> computer connection), office (computer <-> web camera), and home theater (XBOX <-> Kinect sensor) with runs this length. I configured a customer's pedalboard for his AxeFX <-> McMillen SoftStep controller with a 50 foot USB interconnect and it's worked for him for years.

With USB 2.x gear, the biggest challenges in longer USB runs are voltage drop and RF interference. A USB connection supplies 5v DC (+/- .25 v), which drops over distance. Some devices are particularly sensitive when undersupplied. I haven't had many problems using active cables, at least in terms of the voltage provided at the terminal connection. On my multimeter, the power is still within spec even at 50 feet. Some cables - especially lower cost active cables with crummy shielding - can turn the long cable into an antenna, which negatively impacts data communication. The USB 3.x / type C standard adds additional RF interference suppression to the data channel, which should help with longer runs. At any rate, in my experience, a well-made active USB extension cable is reliable up to this distance.

For the record : I agree with M@, that for anything critical, keeping the length to 2 meters is a great policy for USB 2.x.

I never trust a USB cable longer than 10 ft.
I use 6 ft. cables for all critical artist work.

So I probably shouldn't mention the passive 30ft USB run I've got going on between drums and lead singer for footswitch control of Ableton. I guess I've been pressing my luck and I guess I've been lucky.

Back
Top Bottom