Question For Cliff regarding the Buttery model...

Hey, I'm playing with the butter amp right now, I set master vol on ten, where should I set input drive and eq knobs etc for best rock high gain lead tone and should I use a drive block with this and if so which is best for this amp???? Slow melodic stuff like November rain, but not really going for same Marshall tone slash had, let me know what I could try with this butter amp, I like it but just wanna know how to better tweak it

I think it would be very nice to have also the G'3fied version of the Buttery...then everyone can choose ;)

It's not possible because there is no real amp to match it to. Buttery is a virtual amp model that was created by ear. There is no physical, real amp that exists upon which it was based. It's like the FAS models. They exist solely in the virtual world. They all still benefit from the Quantum stuff though as they use the same underlying algorithms for the tube modeling.

The amp model, regardless of how accurate it is (and it's probably grossly inaccurate as I never compared it to any actual amp) is very popular and that's why it was never matched to any real amp.

We do have a Budda Twinmaster around here somewhere and we can do a model of that when we get some time.
Add me to the list of folks who hope the existing model never changes. It's been my go-to mid-gain amp for as long as I can remember (FW2?). Don't care what it's based on, it sounds fantastic!

Ive got a guitar with humbuckers and using the butter amp and I think umber 65 cabinet, whatever number Cali 412 is, that combination makes my guitar sound incredibly start like, snappy and twangy

It's not possible because there is no real amp to match it to. Buttery is a virtual amp model that was created by ear. There is no physical, real amp that exists upon which it was based. It's like the FAS models. They exist solely in the virtual world. They all still benefit from the Quantum stuff though as they use the same underlying algorithms for the tube modeling.

The amp model, regardless of how accurate it is (and it's probably grossly inaccurate as I never compared it to any actual amp) is very popular and that's why it was never matched to any real amp.

We do have a Budda Twinmaster around here somewhere and we can do a model of that when we get some time.

That would be great!

Also, I've mentioned before in other threads that I have a very early SuperDrive II 18w 2x12 that I would gladly send to be modeled. Amazing clean amp, and the drive channel is pretty solid, too. Would be great to get some IRs of the Phat 12 speakers, too.

Please let me know if you are interested.

I have a very early Superdrive 30 head/2x12 cab that I bought new back in 2001. The early Superdrives sound different (better, IMO) than the later Series II amps. I offered it to FAS at one time to model, but we never got it worked out. I think Cliff wants a schematic before he will consider adding new models. If there is a schematic available, I would gladly send my SD30 head to FAS for modeling.

Hey, I'm playing with the butter amp right now, I set master vol on ten, where should I set input drive and eq knobs etc for best rock high gain lead tone and should I use a drive block with this and if so which is best for this amp???? Slow melodic stuff like November rain, but not really going for same Marshall tone slash had, let me know what I could try with this butter amp, I like it but just wanna know how to better tweak it

the buttery is a class a amp, like fender or vox. it's not really best suited to a high gain rock tone. more mid gain stuff.

This thread inspired me to explore this amp again; I haven't really played in depth with it for quite some time. I found a setting of around 7.6 on the Master and bringing up the Input Drive to just the edge of breakup with a medium picking strength the amp played really well. It was very cool to lay into it with the right hand; the notes just jump out with a sweet attack/distortion and when you do that. Very dynamic amp...fun to play. A keeper preset...

Hey, I'm playing with the butter amp right now, I set master vol on ten, where should I set input drive and eq knobs etc for best rock high gain lead tone
set the knob to a different amp model :p
There are better suited amps that will get you were you want faster.

I have an original, hand-wired SD30 head (pre-peavy, not the Series II version) that I would be willing to send to FAS if they want to model it. But it is my understanding they also need a schematic. If someone can come up with a schematic, I can loan an amp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom