Announcing FAS-FX REVERB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@larryseyer , if it is using iLok, the current version has a software only solution. No hardware USB dongle required.

You do need to be connected to the internet to transfer the lock from the iLok cloud to the computer though.

But once transferred, I believe the computer can be disconnected from the internet (not 100% on this. I use the hardware iLok because its actually easier for me to change computers)

I very happy to see this product.

However, all of my happiness went away and a sigh of disgust replaced it when I saw that it required a hardware copy protection device.

Please, people! This is 2015!

If you want to know how to do software protection and do it right with little or no aggravation to the customer, checkout how XLN Audio does their software.

It's seamless, plainless, easy... and it just works. No hardware device required.

Sorry to be the poster of negativity on what seems like may be an excellent product and branch out from the Fractal Audio crew... but I believe this is a step in the wrong direction with hardware copy protection.

I won't be buying this until they offer a software based protection solution.

L

It does not require a hardware device.

"FAS-FX Reverb requires activation using the free iLok License Manager from www.ilok.com. The manager allows you to activate the plugin WITH or WITHOUT a physical iLok2 "dongle" but you will need an Internet connection. Simply install the free manager and select "Redeem Activation Code" from the "Licenses" menu. Paste or type your activation code. Codes are emailed from Fractal Audio Systems within one business day of your order."

I'm still amazed at how much iLok fear still seems to be out there.

Can someone post a pic (or a few) of the GUI or did I miss that ?

Edit - never mind. The GUI is pictured on the "buy it" web page.

Looks cool and looks VERY "Fractal"

Last edited:
I very happy to see this product.

However, all of my happiness went away and a sigh of disgust replaced it when I saw that it required a hardware copy protection device.

Please, people! This is 2015!

If you want to know how to do software protection and do it right with little or no aggravation to the customer, checkout how XLN Audio does their software.

It's seamless, plainless, easy... and it just works. No hardware device required.

Sorry to be the poster of negativity on what seems like may be an excellent product and branch out from the Fractal Audio crew... but I believe this is a step in the wrong direction with hardware copy protection.

I won't be buying this until they offer a software based protection solution.

L

Larry, It does not require hardware. Just the iLok License Manager (free) installed on your computer. You can use your computer as the "dongle". If you have an iLok, you can move the license to the iLok and move the plugin to another computer. Such as when you go record to an outside studio and want to use your sessions, you can do this just by bringing your dongle. It's actually a very useful system.
And with the new manager, the license CAN reside on your computer. Easy.

I own a ton of software... virtual instruments, DAWs, effects plugins, you name it. Have been playing with this plugin frequently as Fractal was finalizing development. It's so freaking good. Truly the best sounding reverb in my stable. It's just super lush and natural sounding. iLok install (software only - no dongle) was quick and easy.... one and done. Great plugin.

Lol at M@ reply. Exactly! I was skeptical of the iLok thing, but the software version is painless as long as you have an internet connection.

I too have to admit, I was skeptical of the iLok2 decision when FAS made it. But once you figure out how to transfer the license with the manager it really is a piece of cake to use.

This reverb package is to die for! Just sounds so damn good! Customers and ultimately those who enjoy the music they create will NOT be disappointed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using this verb for a couple of weeks and let me say first off I/m no fan of verb on guitars unless I have to move them behind in a mix.
For that I usually use an U-Audio EMT plate. Which I also dig for vocals.
The only plug-in that ever came close for me I used quite a bit was the Magix Vari-Verb.
Anyways...I dig the FAS verb on guitars, but I really like it the room on snare and the plate on vox.

So considering this is compatible with AAX for Pro Tools. How soon can we expect Cab Lab to be AAX compliant? If you are doing for one. You should be able to do it for the other correct?

Been using this verb for a couple of weeks and let me say first off I/m no fan of verb on guitars unless I have to move them behind in a mix.
For that I usually use an U-Audio EMT plate. Which I also dig for vocals.
The only plug-in that ever came close for me I used quite a bit was the Magix Vari-Verb.
Anyways...I dig the FAS verb on guitars, but I really like it the room on snare and the plate on vox.

Wow! Ed is back in the house. It's been awhile!

It does not require a hardware device.

"FAS-FX Reverb requires activation using the free iLok License Manager from www.ilok.com. The manager allows you to activate the plugin WITH or WITHOUT a physical iLok2 "dongle" but you will need an Internet connection. Simply install the free manager and select "Redeem Activation Code" from the "Licenses" menu. Paste or type your activation code. Codes are emailed from Fractal Audio Systems within one business day of your order."

Glad to hear it.

Does it allow me to install it on the 4 computers that I own without having to do a dance and authorization shuffle every time I switch from one computer to another?

That would be great if it did... but usually, with iLok, you can only use it on one machine at a time - which is really a pain when you use multiple computers as I do for my work.

The reason I do not use hardware copy protection (eLicenser or iLok) is because I've actually been in a situation where I was using software that required one of them and I made the mistake of lifting up the laptop to check and connection and it broke the dongle - session done...end of use.

People who want to steal software will steal software and there is no protection that will prevent them from doing it IMHO.

At any rate, I'm happy that this product has been announced and released. I love Fractal stuff. Just can't stand hardware copy protection.

L

Oh, you mean the company who makes all the cracked stuff on this torrent site?

View attachment 28557

XLN audio does NOT post stolen software!!!!

They are a legitimate company that makes excellent plugins. I own everything they make - and yes, I legally purchased them.

If you are showing this screen because you believe that their copy protection scheme is flawed, you might want to check for software that was protected by iLok. Those are out there too.

As I said, those who wish to steal will steal... Those who are willing to pay will pay.

Good luck with the sales of the new product. I'm happy you guys are doing it.

All the best to you and the entire team!

L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom