what the.. "The only Full Tube, 100% Analogue, Modelling Guitar Amplifier"

I don't mean to be an ass, but it kind of sounds like shit. And they all have a very similar underlying character. It's a neat idea, but from what I've seen, it doesn't seem to be executed well.

there's the idea, I get that, but the guitar is out of tune, everything sounds the same (I agree Sixstring) and it's clipping. When I understood the idea I was like "oh, nice. that sounds like a different approach" but then I heard it and was like "EW!". They need better videos to demo this thing, that's for sure. It sure does not sound like an axe-fx (the youtube version of an recorded axe-fx that is.) It's like an halfway approach to the axe-fx. digital, but still analog. well if it sounds analog, but it's all digital and you can't tell the difference then BOOM ----> digital <3 (I must sound like an axe-fx fanboy now. well there's a reason.)

Cool Idea. That video is needs redoing for sure. The big thing is lots of moving parts to break and fail. And again that video is bad! haha I'd love to check one out though.

Interesting idea, however it will never be the real thing because it won't be able to replicate different characteristics such as tapers of pots, i.e. a realistic tone stack like the Axe-Fx can. And my tube amp at home has been great but problematic with components failing here and there (normally right when I needed it most), now this amp has 10x the components and also mechanical relays which would require maintenance as well. I'm not trashing it, but based on those principles I'm definitely investing in my Axe-Fx rather.

Kind of reminds me of a H&K Triamp with the main difference that Triamp actually sounds really good. Could be the way it was recorded so I'm not going to bash it more than that. :) Let's just say that... I'd love to hear that Recto vs a real Recto. :lol

Interesting idea... but a few years late IMO.

And I'm not sure if you can capture the authentic tone of all that amps shown in the video just by controlling 25 relay switches. Maybe that will work for a tone stack and other simple circuits, but most amps consist of more parts that influence to the overall tone.

As you have to crank the amp to get all the power amp mojo I'm certain a trade-off is necessary get the same output level for different "emulated" amps.

If i was in the market for something like this then it would probably be that Black Widow Preamp thing or those Randall modular amps. I'm not convinced the real models sound that much different, never mind any good!

It sounds like the variances are just EQ curves.

I don't hear any differences in breakup or distortion characteristics.

The old Johnson Millenium JM-150 blows this amp out of the water with 15 year old technology.

What is the Cybertwin approach?

Fender made an amp (I used one for 6 years) which had 2 preamp tubes and a digital section for emulation of the circuit, tone stack, amp section and some rudimentary IR-type filters to emulate different cabs. It also had a complement of effects which were decent, but IMO was very underpowered. The algorithms were very limited.

The amp sounded quite good and was useful in many contexts but did not truly represent the models it was supposed to. I used this for years and ended up getting decent tones with it. The modulation delay on it was first class and the noise gate was one of the best available at the time.
Nevertheless, the overall impression was quite short of current modeling technology.

That being said, I'll never knock that amp. It was loud, offered some great tones, had good cleans and helped me make a living for quite a while.

Seems like the old Fender Cybertwin approach.

how would you compare the Fender Cybertwin to the Vox Valvetronix ad120vt? (the 2x12" combo with celestion seventy-80 speakers and the elegant blue diaminod grill cloth)

I've installed a couple of Celestion vintage 30's in my valvetronix ad120vt and it sounds amazing. I've never heard lead tones like it. I have to make some more tone matches when I've moved to the new apartment.

I've never had the chance to try the Fender Cybertwin, and I've always been curious about how it sounds compared to the Vox Valvetronix ad120vt.

Oh yeah and the Vox Valvetronix ad120vt would be cool to MIMIC/G3 (or what it's called these days)

because the poweramp is kind of unique - 2 x 12ax7's in the poweramp! that's the "valvetronix" part.

vtSchematic.gif

Seems derivative of both the Vox and Cyber Twin. The demo didn't speak to me much. Cool to see people out there working on cool ideas though.

My pop has one of those Vox Valvetronics with the 4x12 cab....I have no idea what for, but I know that it just about ripped my damn head off last time I played through it. I can't attest to the versatility or anything because we basically just ran the Vox models which were pretty good.....go figure. :)

Back
Top Bottom