I'm Just Going to Leave This Here

I wonder about recording functionality - stuff like, is USB only for remote control or does it include audio interface functionality? If no audio interface functionality, does it have SPDIF i/o for dry signal and reamping?

I wonder about recording functionality - stuff like, is USB only for remote control or does it include audio interface functionality? If no audio interface functionality, does it have SPDIF i/o for dry signal and reamping?

I think the focus is on stage, not on studio, like all the other floor boards too. Would make sense, IMO. Is also a question of price, to be competitive. For studio stuff we have the AXE-FX!

I'll throw out a +1 to not liking the lower numbers being the second row.

Here you go...
81VxG35V3DL._SL1500_.jpg

Realize how difficult time consuming and pointless it would be to have a USB on the unit and then have to change the base software to disable a functionality that was already present.

Cliff does difficult and time consuming, but he doesn't do pointless.

Here's a question. How long did it take for the FX8 to be released after it's first public announcement that it was being developed? And should we expect the same timetable for the ax8?

I went digging and the earliest official information on the FX8 I could find was 06/06/14. I think there was an earlier post from Cliff prior to that, kind of like this thread but couldn't find it and it still waits for release at the time of this post. So if we use this as a timeline and factor in that the chassis of both units "could" be the same it might be as little as 60-90 days. Just depends on how much product had been ordered from the manufacturer and if there are any bugs to be worked out in the firmware.

A Fun fact! Pretty sure the actual prototype has been knocking around since the Ultra days but it I don't think was ever officially admitted by FAS but rather confirmed by someone from the forum when he went to pick up his new Ultra and saw it sitting there at FAS (If that's the case it would be cool to see a picture of that Cliff).

Also I remember reading a post by Cliff stating that FAS didn't want to get into the floorboard game so maybe a little misinformation as to curb the nagging from forum members or throw off competition??? which really when you think about it doesn't make sense as there really isn't any real floorboard competition with FAS at this point.

I would also like to add my revised speculation of price and add my product release prediction.

As much as I would love to see this product come in at or under the $1,000 mark, based on where the FX8 is priced I would have to guess that a $1,349 price tag makes sense (ouch!) not what I would call "aggressive", with a 3rd quarter to marketplace time frame.

Last edited:
Hey!!! stop using that logic...that makes too much sense.:eagerness:

That's what I would do, or shall I say will do.

Or..... it could be laid out the way people want it...... I have been using pedalboards for half my life where the 1-2-3-4-5 etc are on the bottom row. Rocktron Bradshaw RSB18F, Bradshaw RS10's. Even the MFC 101 that has replaced them. All have presets starting on the bottom row. Why change that? On dark stages between songs, It's easier to find and hit the bottom row without touching anything else. That is the reason that every major foot controller has them this way.
People are requesting this for good reason.
I will be getting this regardless (already asked G66 to put me on the list) but would much prefer it was laid out the way practically every other foot controller is laid out.
With the MFC, I use bank size of 0 and have scenes 1-5 on the bottom row. When changing presets, the preset always defaults to scene 1. Would be nice to have all of that on the bottom row the way it works with the MFC now.
It is not even released (or manufactured yet as far as I know) so there is no harm in making suggestions before it gets to that stage.

That is the best looking B rig I have ever seen.

It's a pretty good looking A rig too.

I wonder exactly how much less CPU overhead will be available compared to the regular Axe-Fx II.
I mean, as long as it can do something like Comp->Drive->EQ->Amp->Cab->PEQ->Delay->Verb and maybe another effect or so all at the same time it should be plenty. It will be interesting to see what this thing can do. So far it's looking extremely attractive.

Last edited:
Since this seems to be a "stage" rig, IMO it needs a few things to get with "modern" gigging.

- Midi down USB to get with proliferation of laptop gigging (Ableton, other DAWs with backing tracks, sample triggering etc.)
- Midi down midi cable for all other midi devices still out there
- Ability to route down the USB and midi per user needs
- AES out: minimizes conversions and is appearing in more and more live mixing boards
- And my beating-a-dead-horse request since the genesis of the MFC….instant random access to banks

Does it have stereo inputs to gig with two guitars and a toggle on/off tuner on both inputs?
Patch-assignable inputs is another dead-horse request as well.
I think I'm on Cliff's ignore list so feel free to pass these along.

Last edited:
That is the best looking B rig I have ever seen.

It's a pretty good looking A rig too.
I wonder exactly how much less CPU overhead will be available compared to the regular Axe-Fx II. I mean, as long as it can do something like:

I
Comp->Drive->EQ->Amp->Cab->PEQ->Delay->Verb
and maybe another effect or so all at the same time it should be plenty. It will be interesting to see what this thing can do. So far it's looking extremely attractive.

I would say you are right on the chain an 8 block grid if one is amp one is cab you have 6 blocks to play with and send pre/post routings

Or..... it could be laid out the way people want it...... I have been using pedalboards for half my life where the 1-2-3-4-5 etc are on the bottom row. Rocktron Bradshaw RSB18F, Bradshaw RS10's. Even the MFC 101 that has replaced them. All have presets starting on the bottom row. Why change that? On dark stages between songs, It's easier to find and hit the bottom row without touching anything else. That is the reason that every major foot controller has them this way.
People are requesting this for good reason.
I will be getting this regardless (already asked G66 to put me on the list) but would much prefer it was laid out the way practically every other foot controller is laid out.
With the MFC, I use bank size of 0 and have scenes 1-5 on the bottom row. When changing presets, the preset always defaults to scene 1. Would be nice to have all of that on the bottom row the way it works with the MFC now.
It is not even released (or manufactured yet as far as I know) so there is no harm in making suggestions before it gets to that stage.

Don't you know that you're not allowed to criticize anything FAS does, ever? Weirdo.

it's the only reason i mentioned it earlier in the thread and i'm only sad i didn't realize it upon the first announcement of the FX8 before too many units were created (there seem to be a handful of FX8 units out there). i'd assume there may be at least 4 AX8 units existing at this time.

if it's already said and done, then people will just have to adjust. but it is quite different than anything else out there. oh well. like i said, i actually always had my scenes on row 2 (also used no preset switches), so this isn't a huge issue for me personally. but i don't switch things every 5 seconds or very quickly, so it could be more cumbersome to others.

time to develop new habits!

Don't you know that you're not allowed to criticize anything FAS does, ever? Weirdo.

and BTW, that's absolutely not true. constructive criticism and suggestions and wishes have fueled many changes and current features on the Axe and FAS products.

Some pedalboards have an aux in, and so you can play along with your favorite songs just with a phone, a unit, headphones...and a guitar. Hope this one would have such a feature.

hahahaha! Too funny as a pronouncement "Ocassionally I'll just come here for a chuckle..." Are you laughing with us Cliff? :/

I'm seriously looking forward for every detail to be revealed about this here AX8 thang! lol

I have more than a sneaking feelin' that I'll have no need for my Axe2 when this is released. I'm a Marshall guy at heart ,my patches are pretty simple & I prefer the pedalboard setup anyway. I believe most guitarists prefer this all in 1 on the floor setup for modeling.

Just curious to get the full details on Cliff's "It's a stripped down floor version at an aggressive price"(don't think we've heard it all yet)..........price is of no concern because I suspect it'll not be too far north or south of $1500.

Back
Top Bottom