A bit scared to upgrade firmware

I found these files using HTTrack to recursively explore the http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/ folder and download new files. They aren't available anymore.

Lol electron.

So Clive, you wanted to take the exact presentation/format that Cliff + FAS share new Firmware editions and post it to THIS thread? Lol, put yourself in Cliff's shoes mate. It was funny and kinda douchey and the same time... No harm no foul mate, you're as excited as the rest of us. Let CLIFF make the announcement tho ;)

I was complaining because of the lack of activity in the Cab Pack 8 thread. Honestly, I never followed this thread since I do not have gigs and I'm not in a recording session, so I'm not afraid to upgrade my firmware.
And I saw Cliff's post from Facebook in Chris's page. Wow, I saw that the real news was here!
Is this all real? Any ETA on the new firmware? Most importantly, will we, the Mark 1/2 owners get this update?

The OP wrote about updating his Axe II, not Axe II XL... I hope you are wrong about this...

Me too, but the wording in the XL release notes regarding "reserving half the memory for future upgrades" always had me nervous.
I have a standard Axe FX II MKII, so all fingers crossed!!

So if we go to G3 modeling, does it start back at 01? Or 18? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Good question.

If it is for all the Axe Fx II generation modellers, then it does make sense to keep the firmware sequential, so 18.
Otherwise it becomes a bit confusing as you have repetitive firmware numbers for the same hardware, the only difference being one is "FW01 Gen 2" and the other "FW01 Gen 3"

Me too, but the wording in the XL release notes regarding "reserving half the memory for future upgrades" always had me nervous.
I have a standard Axe FX II MKII, so all fingers crossed!!

As far as I know (I might be wrong), the flash memory in the XL is utilized for storage purposes, it does not provide additional processing power.

As far as I know (I might be wrong), the flash memory in the XL is utilized for storage purposes, it does not provide additional processing power.

Exactly.
With more advanced algorithms, the size of the firmware may grow, which is where the additional storage of the XL will come into play.

Exactly.
With more advanced algorithms, the size of the firmware may grow, which is where the additional storage of the XL will come into play.

If that's the case then the OP may want to go ahead and load the latest FW now. A clarification from fractal on this question would be cool.

Exactly.

Well, the II and the XL have the same processors and the same amount of RAM....so if the algorithms ended up being larger, the XL would be better at storing them, but not any better at running them.

Back
Top Bottom