My Quick Guide to where to start with FW v.17

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
So, you downloaded firmware v.17 and then thought... what now? There's lots of new things in here, where do I start? I'll hit the big 3 that I think are all exceptionally useful.

I'll start by saying the 59 SLP with the Treble gain on 7 and the Norm on 1 is STELLAR. I love it. If you are a USA model guy, those are damn good updates and the Dumble masters out there have a GREAT surprise too. ;)

I'll just share some of my advice to sort of jump-start you and hopefully give you a good start on what I like the most. Hopefully it helps.

First off - the mic preamp and EQ in the cab block. This is a BIG deal; one I have cheered for so hard that I lost my voice. I love it. I look at it as Cliff dropping $1000+ of UAD level plug-in's into your Axe-FX. And it costs you... just a bit of processor overhead in High Quality mode. Let's suss it out. Go to the cab block and there is a new page there "Pre". Tab to that and try this to start: Type: Tape 50us; Drive 2.00; Saturation 2.00; Bass 1.00; Mid 1.50 and Treble 2.00. Play, listen; adjust the EQ to taste. Then - assuming you have the headroom - tab back to Page 2 in that block and the bottom is the quality setting - if you have any aliasing, try High Quality. If you don't have any aliasing; then leave it at economy. Try the other modes. I like the Tape 50us best; but the Vintage, Transformer and FET 1 are all great too. If you like modern high gain stuff, then stick to the high quality and go for the Modern setting. What is the end result? Your tones will sit better in ANY mix, live or recorded. You'll have more of what you want in the actual mix and it costs you nothing but that processing overhead should you decide to go with the High Quality mode. It's been HUGE to my ears and the more and more I play live with it, the guitar just sounds massive now. I love it.

The age-old issue of how to balance your output levels between all your presets relative to your cleanest preset volume is now addressed - IN THE BOX. A wickedly simple and crazy useful utility now resides in the Utility button menu, tab over a few times to see it. Use the A button to change the level of your presets and have them all average at the 0 mark (which is really -20db) and allows for your boosts, etc and headroom so you never clip. The key is to find your average RMS over a strum; not peaks. Don't get too stuck trying to be perfect here; this is the 'get in the ballpark' but it's amazingly accurate and useful. An age-old issue... fixed.

The Dynamics tab in the Amp Block allows you to do unreal things that real amps cannot do; but added/utilized with some restraint and common sense - they sound amazingly organic. This is crazy stuff - it's dynamic EQ that you can use to either boost or cut dynamically (how hard you play) that does NOT add any distortion. EQ without distortion is a very slick DAW mixing tool that I've never seen in a standalone guitar processor; it's very cool. Center it at 700hz and do a mid-boost of about +0.50; leave the Q at the stock setting. Try it. Now do a cut by adjusting the amount to a negative amount. Mid-cut (scoop). High gainers... check that!

The new flanger and chorus are simple - just use the Type and have your mind blown. Get the Stereo Jet fired up and play "Barracuda". Get the 80's style chorus, add some compression with a tele into a CLEAN amp (Jazz Chorus) and play some Police. Whoa. NICE.

There is LOTS more; but those are the biggies that I hit right away and wanted to offer some suggestions on. Do you have some things you've tried that work well? Share them!!!

Last edited:
Scott You are the man sir thanks. You made me get an SPL meter a while back ago with your preset leveling video wwhich i still follow. Can wait to try the stuff and thanks for the headstart, thanks for taking the time!

Funny, I was just thinking 'with all the new toy's, where do I start?' Lo and behold the SP has an answer.

Are you in my head?

Same here. I mean, these are some seriously powerful tools that just dropped. I have a feeling that as time goes by, the new dynamics controls are going to turn into a lot of folks' "secret" weapons.
And the pres... I haven't tried them yet, but from this review, I think we're really in for something special.

Back
Top Bottom