FX8 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if you hang on your opinion , you should me more respectfull against the forum members .Besides , your technical knowleges should come as a support and not as contreverses ....IMO you must change attitude quickly.

Real simple.

I have a real hard time with cultism especially when it tries to stand in the way of reason and experience.

I refuse to drink the kook-aid -- not matter how much I dig a product or service.

you got me. i enjoy helping people in my chat.

BBvrEPNl.jpg

Dang, I would love a full Axe-Fx II in a box like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add to this that usually a board full of pedals has a given set of well, pedals. Changes to the sound mean changing knobs, settings etc from song to song for most of us. That is eliminated, as Yek said with the configuring of a multieffect processors... The justification of an FX 8 comes from the market. There is a market period. Costumers define if they wanted or not. As a former TC Electronic User (Nova and G System), I would buy this in a heartbeat over the headaches of the past and the lack of follow up by the old manufacturers (BOSS, TC Zoom, etc) behind their product. That is what sets this product apart along with the technology, which is the leading one behind any comparable products in the market today.

Understandable, from that POV.

I think there's more to it. The integral aspect. Everything is routable, modifyable, there's 4CM support, it has more features than 3 Strymons (which add up to the same price), stomp box-mode or scenes, updates/enhancements/improvements/additions for free. That's much more than comparing it to the price of the current pedals. Not including cost of pedalboard, power supply issues, cables etc.

Disclaimer: I don't own or have used one. ;)
But I did put myself on G66's waiting list.

You serious?

You want an explanation of what tone suck is?

The easy answer is if you don't know what it is ... or recognize it ... then don't worry about it.

If you claim it's violating the laws of physics then you should be able to explain what laws and why. If you're going to make claims, be ready to back them up, don't go into ninja mode and dodge everything.

Well, I'm super-excited.

As a volunteer beta tester, I've been lucky enough to have a chance to play a beta FX-8 unit with my Bludtone Ojai (same amp modeled in AXE FX II), and like Cliff said, I can tell NO difference between the unaffected tone of the amp direct and when the FX-8 is engaged with NO effects. No volume change, no sound change, transparent. Super impressive. They really spent a lot of time and effort making sure that worked flawlessly from what i can tell. Playing on stage with an amp 99.9% of people are not going to hear any difference -- and I speculate Cliff just might say the last 0.1% are liars or fools!.
:)

I found it very easy to use the FX8 with beta FX-8 edit software to program "my favorite pedalboard rigs." The software mimics much of the current Axe Edit approach, but adapted for the FX-8 - -the concepts are easy to get if you get Axe Edit now.

As a guy who used to have a massive Trailer Trash pedalboard, I'm stoked and excited to buy an FX-8 when they become available -- and agree, for the price of 3-4 boutique pedals it can emulate, you are there.

I also agree with M@tt that it would be great to use an FX-8 in the EFX loop of an AX FX II to further boost your effects abilities for presets; you could do all your mono effects (pre the real amp) in series, and then using an AX FX II build some wild dual/amp cab combos with wet effects that otherwise could use up all your CPU if you tried to do all in AXE FX II.

Say for your live amp rig you like to have a compressor, wah, four drive pedals of varying types (2X and 2Y), phaser/univibe, flanger and filter/boost pedal you like to have available to use on everything at any moment; you could use the FX-8 for those "always available before an amp, no matter what patch" and then put the EFX loop first in AXE FX II presets, and then design dual amps and wet effects to your hearts' content and probably never run out of processing power.

Now, go sell your compressor, four drive pedals, way pedal, phaser/univibe, flanger on Ebay or Craig's list...I bet you net more than that the likely cost of the FX-8. No more cable connectors to fool with either.

I've played the FX-8 beta at gig volume and bedroom volume, and it performs stunningly well. You just get spoiled on an AXE FX II, because in the FX-8 you are limited to just 8 slots, but if you use X/Y that's up to 16 accessible effects per preset, plus add 8 Scenes... it's amazingly versatile. BTW, the Rotary is X/Y in the FX-8 if I recall correctly.

If you have a great amp with an EFX loop, to me this is the way to go to simplify your pedalboard situation.

If you have an AX FX II already, this is like getting another one-half of an AXE FX II's effects palette to add to/increase your effects arsenal. I can't resist!

I've never seen a music instrument manufacturer be so responsive and listen so closely to its customers and act on feedback when appropriate to make things better, and for free (firmware upgrades!).

There has never been a better time to be alive and be a guitar player. We've all got it WAY good. I'm forever grateful to Fractal Audio for never compromising sound quality considerations in any of their designs, period. The best stuff, the best quality, is never cheap; you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Thanks austinbuddy , I will use the Fx8 with my AxeFx2XL . Did you try to midi link the Fx8 and the Axe together ?Any impressions? Thanks

Thanks austinbuddy , I will use the Fx8 with my AxeFx2XL . Did you try to midi link the Fx8 and the Axe together ?Any impressions? Thanks

No, they each have their own USB cable for midi to computer and their own separate software packages for editing presets.

I use an MFC already with the XL, so the Fx-8 I would use as stand alone -- there is no need for it to talk directly to the XL in the way I outlined the above -- and then just program patches via USB MIDI and save/load banks or firmware updates.

If you have a multi effects unit and do not have patch cables connecting individual pedals, there is going to be less resistance between your guitar and amp thus reducing the amount of highs that are lost.

Resistance does not cause high frequency attenuation. Perhaps you meant reactance. Cliff's encouragement to be precise, and his basic questions of "What is tone suck?" and "What are these physical laws?" are as valid as they are lost on the audience.

A well-designed, low noise device is absolutely a selling point. In layman's terms it's called "no tone-suck." Getting all technical about whether or not there actually is a noise floor is arguing against a point that wasn't made to begin with.

A well-designed, low noise device is absolutely a selling point. In layman's terms it's called "no tone-suck." Getting all technical about whether or not there actually is a noise floor is arguing against a point that wasn't made to begin with.

One must always consider the source.

One must always consider the source.

Yes some one that has heard this pitch a billion times before.

It is designed to be used in an amp loop as well as amp input right?

By default this thing should have a very low to a zero noticeable noise floor and not sound like somebody threw a towel over your amp. Big freaking deal. Join the club.

If the purpose of highlighting this product benefit is to draw a comparison to the AF2 and subdue the complaints of noise by users that tried the 4cm with the AF2 -- than I understand it and it makes sense.

But trust me .... this is not even close to being a selling point for the high end effects crowd.... Not today, yesterday for last year, 5 years ago, ten years ago -- take your pick.

I tell you what will sell people that are tube and effects snobs -- if it has a clear analog audio path in the loop and allows the effects to be blended in to the pure analog audio signal.

Why do you think people spend the cash on effects like Strymon timeline TimeLine - Multidimensional Delay Effects - Delay Pedal » strymon and the Strymon Blue sky BigSky - Multidimensional Reverberator - Reverb Pedal » strymon ?

If it does not -- then then serious demos and charts will be needed to convince a lot of folks I know that would be in the market for this.

Personally it is not a deal breaker because I am very familiar and use an AF2.

Again, since you made it a point to highlight the source, let me share my adventures in multi effects integration with high end amps. -- I had a wonderful rack unit that I used with my one of my Bludotone amps (you know what a Bludotone amp is right?)

To add a G-major (which by the way kills by itself in an amp loop) and maintain the integrity of the analog signal a lot of folks that have high end amps and gig with them (those that can afford to drop $1,400 on a FX8 floor board) - would use something like the Suhr MiniMix to maintain the analog signal and use the front end vol of the G-major (with killdry) to mix in the wet signal.

bludo at a gig

IMG_0097.jpg

close up of rack

Bludoclassicrig.jpg

Wiring of Suhr MiniMix to Amp loop and Dumblelator

Minimixconnection.jpg

Low to zero noise or that the unit does not make your amp sound like someone threw a towel over it ... that is a basic requirement and IMO should be a given in 2014.

Reactions: MNG
@LVC Clearly you didn't comprehend my post and I am not going to waste any of my time to explain it to you other than it had nothing to do with your experience with the gear.

By the way, I am sure others as well as myself are waiting for your reply to this.

What is tone suck? What are these physical laws? Be sure to be precise. There will be a test later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom