Calling all Zeppelin fans...

shotgunn

Fractal Fanatic
Hey guys. Can anyone tell me what fuzz Jimmy Page used on Led Zeppelin I. I swear I read somewhere it was called a Tone Bender. If so, is the Bender Fuzz in our II a model of this fuzz?

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

thats awesome. can you share the patch please?
Thanks man. I'm not near my Axe right now, tomorrow I'll post the patch. BUT if you read my commentaries on the soundcloud page, I used a Skin Pimp MkII fuzz in front of the Axe II, with the Plexi treble model. I think we can get close tweaking the Axe-fx fuzzes, but I haven't tried that yet.

if you listen to the Live Zep album at Madison Square Garden (for the movie), to me, it's something like tone bender in front of those Marshalls cranked up, it cuts the bottom end of the Les Paul so it's all mids and treble....

if you listen to the Live Zep album at Madison Square Garden (for the movie), to me, it's something like tone bender in front of those Marshalls cranked up, it cuts the bottom end of the Les Paul so it's all mids and treble....

Nope--the only thing in front was the Echoplex. I'd love to hear more Zeppelin patches, ESP someone's take on his live TSRTS tone...

I'm bumping an old thread because I'm finally taking the plunge and buying an IIXL this week...and the first thing I'll be doing will be to try and dial in my favorite Page live tones. IME I think the hardest thing for a modeler to capture is the dynamics of a tube amp when it's pushed--it just sounds different and it's tough to describe but easy to hear (and appreciate!).

Any ideas/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Jimmy's tone from TSRTS is my all time favorite, but the RAH Hiwatt tone is another fav as well. Here are some of my tube amp attempts at copping this tone FWIW:

How Many More Times with a Mesa Mark V:

Various using a Marshall JMP modded to take KT88 tubes:

Last edited:
Nope--the only thing in front was the Echoplex. I'd love to hear more Zeppelin patches, ESP someone's take on his live TSRTS tone...

Well you have to remember guys that it gets mixed in a studio, there are mics on the cabs that affect the EQ and often they will use EQ on the mix to have it sit. There is very little bottom end under 100hz to Pages tone on these despite him playing 4x12s which we know on stage give you a thump. So do factor all that in when you shoot for it, maybe try tone match off the TSRTS album but I bet it will not sound good "live" ...

Actually I think Pagey's album tones can be copped pretty easily. His Royal Albert Hall Hiwatt and MSG '73 Marshall tones, not so much. Those are just Les Paul -> NMV amp turned up, and that's the toughest thing to recreate on a digital device.

I think the Axe cops those tones easily. What it doesn't do is cop standing next to that amp with the cab blowing your face off and all the ways a guitar interacts with can cranked that loud...that's the only difference.

I think the Axe cops those tones easily.

I understand the sentiment of that.

But Jimmy's tones are elusive and iconic. Lot's of information online from Jimmy's tone chasers. Including folks using real amps and pedals etc.

Jimmy's tones are not easy. Their elusiveness is part of their lure. Like VH1 tones or AC/DC or the Edge. Tone chasing forever but not quite getting exactly that mojo.

Still fun to give it go though! And the Fractal is capable of getting close no doubts there from me!

But Jimmy's tones are elusive and iconic. Lot's of information online from Jimmy's tone chasers. Including folks using real amps and pedals etc.

Jimmy's tones are not easy. Their elusiveness is part of their lure. Like VH1 tones or AC/DC or the Edge. Tone chasing forever but not quite getting exactly that mojo.

Still fun to give it go though! And the Fractal is capable of getting close no doubts there from me!

I think Jimmy's tones come from his fingers, not his equipment. Stairway was recorded with a telecaster, but all the live shots you see him playing either a Gibson LP or a Gibson DoubleNecked BackBreaker (tm). There is no elusiveness. It's him, we cannot be him. I play Zep tunes but don't waste my time trying to be Jimmy or his tone.
I am sure he never played with the same amp twice, and changed pedals and guitars like he changed his drink.
"real amp"? Do you mean "physical amp"? My AFX is pretty real to me. It an AFX is not a "real amp" does that make it an "UnReal Amp"?
My AFX is UnReal! Woohoo!!!

i was referring to the comment that a "Les Paul into a n/mv amp" being something that digital devices have a hard time recreating. I think the Axe does this very, very well

Back
Top Bottom